are you able to start your car without putting your foot on the brake?

Sticks

Reaction score
hi guys, audi were quite puzzled with my car today when i pointed out that i can start it without applying the foot brake, i do get the message to apply footbrake but only after ive already started the car ,lol

have ago please and post up
cheers

hi guys, audi were quite puzzled with my car today when i pointed out that i can start it without applying the foot brake, i do get the message to apply footbrake but only after ive already started the car ,lol

cheers

Hi Sticks,

1) My 61-plate RS3 does the same; the engine will start (and run) without depressing the brake pedal. The (first position) ignition display shows: "To start engine or select gear apply footbrake when stationary".

2) My 53-plate TT 3.2 DSG roadster will also start without depressing the brake pedal, however, the (first position) ignition display shows a somewhat different instruction i.e.: "When stationary apply footbrake while selecting gear".

Note: I/we did a 425-mile trip around Lyme Bay yesterday (to both eat (Hive Beach Cafe) and soak up some (lots of) sun) and while the engine, gearbox, and brakes of this 3.2 TT are good, the car is (******) agricultural when comparing it to an RS3; but at least the roof comes down…

3) My 53-plate A2 (1.6 FSI with manual gearbox) starts exactly the same (just turn the key), but no display message.

4) Just for a laugh: my 1971 Lotus Elan Sprint has entirely different start up characteristics, two/three pumps of the accelerator pedal (when cold) and crank - no visual display at all! Caution, however: if you give it two/three pumps when 'hot' then you'd best be prepared to remove the spark plugs and dry them off before trying again; happy days…

Regards…

Last edited:
Just been reading more of the manual regarding my parking problem, and noticed what you mention above, and was almost certain that I have started without pressing foot brake. However may be doing it without realising.

Will let you know.

Yep. Twice infact...... that's 2/2 reporting minor default.

and i thought i had the only SPECIAL car !!:sob:, seems like this is quite widespread and as i thought goes unnoticed by drivers, but anyway get it into audi as it shouldnt be special in that way

cheers

Tried this earlier today and yes, the car will start with the stick in P and without the brake being depressed, although the handbrake was on...

Hi guys just a quick update , Audi called me today re starting car without applying footbrake , they basically said all this model does it and that's that .
I still havnt got my car back as Audi are now performing some extra update available about sticky gears ,
cheers

FYI when I tried a demonstrator from Lincoln last year, this would not startup unless you put your foot on the brake. Also, I have accidentally caught myself out on my car as I couldn't start it once with foot on brake, then realised it wasn't in P! I had put it in gear as I was trying to back out of a parking spaces by a few inches as I was too close to a concrete sleeper.

FYI when I tried a demonstrator from Lincoln last year, this would not startup unless you put your foot on the brake. Also, I have accidentally caught myself out on my car as I couldn't start it once with foot on brake, then realised it wasn't in P! I had put it in gear as I was trying to back out of a parking spaces by a few inches as I was too close to a concrete sleeper.

Mine starts without the brake also.

Our MY2010 170 TDI DSG starts in P without your foot on the brake pedal. It won't let you take the key out though if you turn the engine off in D and you must have your foot on the brake to move from N to D....

Since my last post I have tried this on my RS3 a few times this week, & yes mine is start when in Park too! Only had mine since Feb.
Then I noticed the heater controls which are supposed to be independent were increasing both together when I altered the drivers side.

My S-tronic will start without foot on brake, but it will lurch forward a few inches in the process.

Since my last post I have tried this on my RS3 a few times this week, & yes mine is start when in Park too! Only had mine since Feb.
Then I noticed the heater controls which are supposed to be independent were increasing both together when I altered the drivers side.

You can link them by holding 'auto'. Turn the passenger side one and it should make them independent again