Arial base (rubber seal)

HEKTOR

Reaction score
My rubber seal has started to perish and im looking for a replacement, where would i go for this? Other than AUDI

cheers

eddie

Im not aware of any other place other than Audi now vagparts arent trading.

I bought one from flee-bay. Fitted perfect and looks just the same as standard. Few pounds it cost I seem to remember.

Somebody on here posted the link and bought it too I think.

Do a wee search and try and find that post or failing that let me know and I can check back my flee-bay buys for ya.

Cheers.
baz

Yeah, Audi sell the whole kit.... dont quote me on this as going from my rubbish memory but I seem to recall 50 or 60+ squid for it.

Hence I was chuffed when someone posted about the Flee-bay find - just the rubber seal.

Cheers
b

Not the same seller I think but this looks like the one I got....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Seat-Skoda-Beesting-Roof-Aerial-Gasket-Seal_W0QQitemZ400030494554QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item400030494554&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Hope that maybe helps ya!

Only tip I could give is put it in some hot water first to make it more pliable. I did not :sadlike: so the rubber seal was stiff, with that said... it only took about 10 to 15 mins to do. Easy Peesie. I even used the wrong tool for the bolt under the map lights to get the base off but managed it.
You should be fine mate.

Cheers
Baz

Only tip I could give is put it in some hot water first to make it more pliable. I did not :sadlike: so the rubber seal was stiff, with that said... it only took about 10 to 15 mins to do. Easy Peesie. I even used the wrong tool for the bolt under the map lights to get the base off but managed it.
You should be fine mate.

Cheers
Baz

I think that the hardest bit is dismantling the roof lining/trim to get at the bolt that hold the base in place. This has been discussed on a recent thread in this section.

The only thing will be to change the seal, but I do not see that as being too much of a job tbh.

This is unbelivably easy. I brought the rubber seal from the link above last week (£4.95 inc postage).

- Firstly pull the rear interior light off, it just pulls out with fingernails.
-Then loosen the nut holding the aerial base. If you have the right spanner for this great, if not just use a standard pair of pliars. Once loose you can loosen it further by hand, but don't take it off, just loosen it until the end of the thread
- Now the aerial base will be loose from the roof and you can easily pull the old seal out without scraping around on the paint work.
- boil a kettle and put the new rubber seal in for a few mins (not whilst the water is still boling hot though)
- stretch the seal over the aerial base and position correctly
- tighten base nut from inside and push interior light back on

Yes as said above its easy peasy ebay for this is the way forward, i posted a link a while ago for the one i bought. I didnt bother putting mine in hot water tho i just dont think you need to.

You can loosen the nut fully till its off the base. You cant lose the nut because the coax cable goes through the nut so it just rests on the cable, this means you can pull the base further from the roof.

Once you get stuck in you will realise how easy it is mainly because the rear interior light sit right under the bolt.

Cheers, i'm going to order a replacement seal asap!

Ahhhh It was Benr that gave the link I got it from! I remember now!

Yeah... just buy one and you will fit it in 10 mins flat.... I used pliers but they were a bit short... long nose pliers or an adjustable wrench and you will be laughing all the way!

baz

Is this ok to use? it does'nt look like the standard item.

Cheers for the link

The one I bought from ebay with Benr's link was the the same looking. At that price I would buy it then see what it looks like... sure beats 60+ quid.

I cant say for sure if it is exactly like mine as it looks to be a different seller but it states A3 right?

If its a decent fit then its money saved, audi are having a laugh selling the kit and not just the rubber. I'll buy the seal and see how it goes

cheers

Cool, best of luck mate..... but to be honest, I think it will do perfect and you will owe some of us a pint for the saving of candy :yahoo:

Let us know how you get on
Cheers
Baz

Just bought one of these, for a fiver you cant go wrong, will post up what I think when fitted.

ok just done mine so heres a few pics just in case anyone needs a little guidence
seals differnce
seals.jpg

I used a plastic credit card pass as I have no nails to remove the light panel
light.jpg

nut is 17mm and the grip bit is attached to it
nut.jpg

yes its a bit tricky fitting it to the base but if you look at the top pic the original is filled in in the middle so you have to cut it off the new one just slips down from the top and fits snuggly to the base.

I did add a little sealent as I had some just to be double sure but I think that was a overkill tbh

Same as mine Fingermouse! Nice work :)

I think I ended up cutting the old one off then placing the new one over the aerial instead of removing it.

Looks good tho huh :superman:

Here is mine fitted

P23-04-09_171502.jpg

A word of warning though, fingermouses idea of adding sealant may not be such a bad idea. Due to the different design I think water might have managed to get through (albeit a small amount) after washing it yesterday as my rear lights werent working properly (they were on when they should have been off). Theyre fine now its dry but Ill be adding sealant before the rain returns!