Ash tray

indiemike

ZoomZoom
Reaction score
Opened it this morning 2 get some change out that I left in there but now it won't close, push it up and doesn't clip into place, any ideas how to sort it please

Anyone had this problem before. Ive taken it apart but cant see them problem and its doing my head in now lol

Just poped to Audi Liverpool because i needed a oilfilter and sump plug so thought id give them the part no and see how much a new one would be...... £125 lol

I had the same problem mate. It's one of the paper clip-like mechanisms, very peculiarly made with yellow lubrication that goes wrong. You're better off leaving it down as when audi got my new ash tray it doesn't have the piano black finish, looks more matte.

i have this problem too, was like it when i bought the car, pretty annoying

been watching ebay for one to pop up but no success, am going to start going round the scrap yards me thinks, defo not paying £125 from the stealers lol

a little tip that has worked for me, take the insert out and push the ashtray really hard back up, mine seems to stick in the up position and holds there, bit of a bodge job but looks better than it hanging down :)

My A3's been like this since day one... the trick is, you're trying to close it too fast. Close it with constant, slow pressure and I do mean ssslllloooow!

Thats what I have done to mine as well, for almost three years now, and bought a the facelift model that did not fit so I gave up at that.

OK just dug this out as my ashtray has broken too, took it out and had a look, the plastic is so brittle the small arm the catches on the mechanism has just crumbled n snapped away. Going to see if i can fabricate a new plate with arm and post some pics. Would be good if someone could snap the back view of their ashtray so i can see what it actually looks like!

TIA

I also have this problem at the moment, so will keep my eyes on this thread!

I remember seeing a post where someone still had the broken pin and they simply glue gun'd it back in place. If you do manage to fix it yourself- you should open up a repair centre for them...seeing it's almost as common as the window issue! (which I've also had :( )

Mine has always done this as well but I can close it every time. Unsure if its the same problem but with mine its a little clip on the right hand side seems to be loose. I just push this in place as I shut it and it closes fine. If I don't it either just doesn't shut or jams at a weird angle.

Mine sticks on the odd occasion when you close it shut ot open it - always in the 'pushed-back' position for releasing/locking into place.

May see ho wmuch one for the A3 is incase it does go caput.

Would be good if someone can unscrew their ashtray (only one screw) remove the two connectors and snap me a closeup pic of the rear of the ashtray with the centre pin displayed, (which locks the ashtray in place). Looks to me like it's a matter of fabricating a new panel with a metal pin, that will fix the ****er!

This has just ****** happened to me on the way home, booting the car and next minute i hear a creaking noise and them the ashtrays wide open, ****** thing waint shut nar.

Ok, touched wood ive fixed it, a combiantion of super glue and solvet weld haha, lets hope it holds, with how bad of a design the setup up is i doubt it.
Time will tell though.