Ashtray area ambient LED light (OEM) install

s3_trev

Northern Ireland
Reaction score
Some of you may know that if you ordered the non smoking pack from factory, it would have came with the storage tray already fitted, rather than the ashtray. Like me, a lot of you have retrofitted the storage tray, but how many of you also retrofitted the ambient LED light that shines into the storage tray?

Well I decided I wanted to do this, and I think I have got the parts that I need. See below.

20180928 131741
20180928 131744
20180928 131759

You will notice there is the LED light bar itself, then there is the plastic trim with window. Well I can't seem to figure out exactly how the LED light bar sits within the plastic trim! You will see from the second pic that I have set it into it, as per a photo I found on google, but it doesnt really 'click' into place as such.

If anyone has done this mod themselves or knows anything more please let me know. I believe the grab handles, and HVAC unit need to come out to fit this, so going to get stuck into that this evening or tomorrow.

These are the images that I found online that best show what I'm trying to do. You can see the way this person has set the LED bar into their trim, but still not just sure if this is correct.

64a20eac2773

Picture 022
Picture 016

Thanks!

Reactions: paddy
Thought the bar just clips under the HVAC unit ... but I could be wrong.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Damn I'm gonna have to do this. You got part numbers

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thought the bar just clips under the HVAC unit ... but I could be wrong.

Funny you should say that mate, I actually think you could be right. Im thinking the light bar clips under the HVAC unit, then the black trim with window, clips underneath that again. So the light bar and the black trim dont actually connect together as such. Will hopefully know more when I have everything apart. I just hope there isnt an additional part that I didnt order!

Damn I'm gonna have to do this. You got part numbers
Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

These are what I ordered mate.

8p0864138a4pk (Black trim with window)
8p085 355 (LED light bar)
8P0863301A4PK (Storage tray, (I already had this installed))

It fits under Hvac but will find it by accident unless your lucky , hard to describe where exactly as hvac has to be in place and you just need to be patient and fiddle about.
The 2nd part fits in easily enough.
Worth looking at changing the Climate Control out for a Q3 one if you can get one from the breakers or cheap on Ebay makes a big difference aesthetically and simple enough to do , plus big write up on here to help you along step by step

Reactions: s3_trev
It fits under Hvac but will find it by accident unless your lucky , hard to describe where exactly as hvac has to be in place and you just need to be patient and fiddle about.
The 2nd part fits in easily enough.
Worth looking at changing the Climate Control out for a Q3 one if you can get one from the breakers or cheap on Ebay makes a big difference aesthetically and simple enough to do , plus big write up on here to help you along step by step

Cheers mate. Yeah I have been thinking about that for a while now but the only thing putting me off is that you need to trim the Q3 one before it fits in. It be scared of ballsing it up! Also I wonder if there is the slot for the LED bar on the Q3 one.

Cheers mate. Yeah I have been thinking about that for a while now but the only thing putting me off is that you need to trim the Q3 one before it fits in. It be scared of ballsing it up! Also I wonder if there is the slot for the LED bar on the Q3 one.
Its not as hard as you think to trim down ( i done it and am ****** numpty at those things ) and yip it fits under the Q3 same as the 1 you av in just need to fiddle about and u will end up slotting it in , if i mind its on the drivers side off CC.
It doesn't give out brightness just subtle so if you want the bright lights visit Blackpool in September :thumbs up:

Last edited:
You can just trim the Q3 unit down with a orbital sander, its only about 2 mm a side and very straightforward and the large sanding area of the orbital means you can do the whole side at once and keep it even.
I would like to fit the tray but i wonder if that set up will fit withthe Q3 unit ? cant see why not.

You can just trim the Q3 unit down with a orbital sander, its only about 2 mm a side and very straightforward and the large sanding area of the orbital means you can do the whole side at once and keep it even.
I would like to fit the tray but i wonder if that set up will fit withthe Q3 unit ? cant see why not.
The tray fits with the little red light as i have plus your buddy @samuelh_888 has it cause he explained to me how to do it so go on @paddy splash out be cheaper than the money youve paid on brakes , pads etc :thumbs up:

Reactions: samuelh_888
Everything works.

Q3CC sanded a couple of mm each side. Before you fit the CC make sure you put the light bar in as it does go under the CC.

The slot for the light bar isn’t actually on the CC. It’s on the double din chassis, but fits under the CC.

This is probably the only mod on ASN without a pic!

Last edited: