Asn New Mobile Look

1) Making assumptions to compare ASN Admins to Microsoft roadmappers is analogous to comparing oneself to Jesus. It rarely ends well :p

2) It's uncanny. You must've been at our development conference!?

View attachment 38258

:p

As a few have said; we've spent a long time working on this, and honestly, it worked & looked alright to those who'd tested it. Also as has been said, there's only so much we can predict & test ahead of time, whenever significant changes are made we do expect to make a few tweaks after going live; we're grateful for your patience and assistance in getting that part done [and hopefully to the satisfaction of the largest possible percentage of members].

Simply saying "the things" you do often are harder to find and lost in a "seemingly random[?!?] sea" of text does smack a little bit of someone not liking change because it's change more than its presenting genuine problems.

Please, if there are things you don't like, or don't suit your device/screen, let us know; but do let us know. We'll consider suggestions and requests for tweaks & changes of specific things once the issue is explained; but for the recrd, we're not going to keep tweaking until the new site is a perfect facsimile of the old one.
[EDIT: ...The old software was what looks to be the last usable build of that platform, and was not long for this world, we want to improve native mobile compatibility (understanding there are tweaks to come) - which relies upon responsive software & styling; and there are significant new features in the pipeline which need the new platform].

@h5djr It's possible to send a screen-grab via PM; just paste it into Paint (or whatever) and save it as a JPG to attach; but I think I can see the oversight... On the main forum index (the 'front' page, audi-sport.net/xf/index.php ), you'll see that forums with new messages are shown quite distinctly with the heavier text and darker icon; I imagine my colleague just missed that the thread lists (i.e. after you click into a forum) are a separate element - I'll have a poke about if I get to it before he's back. [Please let me know if I've misunderstood]

Cheers,

Rob.

Rob

I think you have understood the problem OK. If anything can be done it would be great. Thanks

Dave

1) Making assumptions to compare ASN Admins to Microsoft roadmappers is analogous to comparing oneself to Jesus. It rarely ends well :p

View attachment 38258

:p

As a few have said; we've spent a long time working on this, and honestly, it worked & looked alright to those who'd tested it. Also as has been said, there's only so much we can predict & test ahead of time, whenever significant changes are made we do expect to make a few tweaks after going live; we're grateful for your patience and assistance in getting that part done [and hopefully to the satisfaction of the largest possible percentage of members].

Simply saying "the things" you do often are harder to find and lost in a "seemingly random[?!?] sea" of text does smack a little bit of someone not liking change because it's change more than its presenting genuine problems.

Please, if there are things you don't like, or don't suit your device/screen, let us know; but do let us know. We'll consider suggestions and requests for tweaks & changes of specific things once the issue is explained; but for the recrd, we're not going to keep tweaking until the new site is a perfect facsimile of the old one.
[EDIT: ...The old software was what looks to be the last usable build of that platform, and was not long for this world, we want to improve native mobile compatibility (understanding there are tweaks to come) - which relies upon responsive software & styling; and there are significant new features in the pipeline which need the new platform].

@h5djr It's possible to send a screen-grab via PM; just paste it into Paint (or whatever) and save it as a JPG to attach; but I think I can see the oversight... On the main forum index (the 'front' page, audi-sport.net/xf/index.php ), you'll see that forums with new messages are shown quite distinctly with the heavier text and darker icon; I imagine my colleague just missed that the thread lists (i.e. after you click into a forum) are a separate element - I'll have a poke about if I get to it before he's back. [Please let me know if I've misunderstood]

Cheers,

Rob.

Rob, Yes you have understood the problem OK.

Is there a way a I can change the order of the posts in a forum to show the last post first rather than as it is at the moment.

Thanks

Dave (h5djr)

On my 26" monitor it appears as a thin Brazillian strip in the middle of my screen. I'd rather it filled the screen... oh and the long usernames wrap.

@h5djr I'll look into adding a newest-on-top thread-view. It's one thing I haven't seen an out-of-the-box option for; but I don't think it's a particularly widely used option when there, which might explain why code to handle it hasn't been included from stock. There's a hack to enable an option but it needs checking before we consider installing it.

@Spacemonkey Any chance you could fire a screen-grab to me via PM please?

Cheers,

R

Dealing with negative comments with sarcasm rarely ends well either.

OK, some specifics:
1) Marking a Forum as read now means scrolling right to the top of the page, clicking and waiting for a dialog box to appear and then clicking again on that - 2 clicks instead of one.

2) I'm not a fan of the monochrome look as I find it much more tiring on the old eyes and much harder to find specific areas (like sticky threads, headers, etc.) (it's one of the main things I dislike about Office 2013 - hence my comparison with M$). I understand that one look and feel for all devices make it easier for Admins but as there are many more users than Admins then surely our views have to take preference over Admins convenience?

I know I'm probably going to be in a minority but I used to that, and has never stopped me from airing my concerns before and won't now.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and h5djr
Dear Mr Rob and Mr adam burger!
i aint no wizz kid so bare with me boys!
i have tried both the mobile version on my nokia lumia, running windows 8.1, and pc!
this new get up seems to be more pleasing on the eye on the pc but a bit less appealing on my phone!
which is where i do most of my browsing!
just a few things, and yes i know your working hard on this, but were are the classifieds? and can we have the thanks thing we had a while ago back?
also the reputation thingy me jig and post counter!
plus sig pic not working on either!
keep up the good work!
lots of lurv, chez!

Dealing with negative comments with sarcasm rarely ends well either.
If there were cogent comments, they'd have been met with something other than facetiousness [- don't kid a kidder ;)]. Please understand that there are a lot of people to please around here which makes it a tricky task at the best of times, and while I can't speak for anyone else, I don't expect any thanks for it; however I do expect people to be mindful of that and help us to help them - which I don't think is much.

OK, some specifics:
1) Marking a Forum as read now means scrolling right to the top of the page, clicking and waiting for a dialog box to appear and then clicking again on that - 2 clicks instead of one.
Ohhhhhh the humanity! [THAT's sarcasm! :p] - Seriously, I can understand how this might be a bit of a pain in the backside, but I'm sure you'll agree it's hardly the end of the world. I'll look into options for streamlining the process but I hope you can understand that at present this can't realistically go high on the priority list.

2) I'm not a fan of the monochrome look as I find it much more tiring on the old eyes and much harder to find specific areas (like sticky threads, headers, etc.) (it's one of the main things I dislike about Office 2013 - hence my comparison with M$). I understand that one look and feel for all devices make it easier for Admins but as there are many more users than Admins then surely our views have to take preference over Admins convenience?

I know I'm probably going to be in a minority but I used to that, and has never stopped me from airing my concerns before and won't now.
I'm not quite sure where you get the apparent idea that we put-in hundreds (if not thousands) of man hours to work the upgrade to this point in order to make the site easier to operate; and my view of Audi-Sport.net is most often that of an SSH terminal, so front-of-house aesthetics are really only a concern for me as far as what is functional, compatible and to the taste of as many members as possible. Hopefully you've seen that stickies have been made to stand out a little more, and noticed similar tweaks happening in other areas of the site (colour added to headers, bold text/icons for forums with new content, etc.) - We're continuing to do that, and would appreciate constructive feedback on the changes as you see them.

All the best,

Rob.

Well despite my earlier criticisms, during the course of the day alot has improved with site as to how it was, along with me getting used to the new layout so i think you all deserve a big old dose of credit for what you have achieved in such a short space of time, well done & keep up the good work guys :D

Reactions: Administrators and FactionOne
So will I ever be able to use TapaTalk or has that definitely been consigned to the round filing cabinet?

@glospete - we've reinstated Tapatalk; I found that feeds seemed to be working but I couldn't browse the forum 'from the front' (as it were), I deleted it from my forum list and re-added it and was able to browse as normal. Fire me a PM if that doesn't fix it there?

R

Yep, things are looking better and improving !!

All we need now is to have a page length of 40 posts, rather than 20! (Hint hint) ;)

@CHEZ *Bare* with you? You crack on if you want chap, but I'll pass. :p

Browsing on Windows Phone is difficult to check here; from what I can work out you should be able to improve the situation significantly by shutting-down the handset, popping it in a jiffy bag (along with some unwashed socks) and posting it to 1 Microsoft Way, Redmond, Washington.. ;) Seriously though, browsing on your Windows phone previously, did you use the site through a web browser or via Tapatalk (or similar)? If via the browser, was it using the standard 'desktop' type theme?

Classifieds forums should be right at the bottom of the index; if you can't see them, please let me know - some accounts didn't have their permissions translated correctly, which is something I hope to reset site-wide overnight tonight.

The new software has a points system which is similar to the old platform's reputation setup, but it might not be possible to fully integrate all the old numbers; if we can we will, but I couldn't honestly say when with so much going on - all I can say for certain is that if we can't pull it in, it won't be for want of trying. If we have to start again with new systems, I'll fudge your score if you avoid whatever it was earned your reputation previously :p

We had real fun & games bringing avatars and attachments over from the old setup; signature pics were a bit of a pipe-dream for the most part unfortunately; are you able to re-upload one?

Cheese,

R

Reactions: CHEZ
My colleague has just made attempt #1 of a so far possible 3, could you let us know if it's any better?

Ta, R

Perfect, scrolls just like it's made for iphone!

Seems more professional in my opinion :D

Any chance of getting the old smilies back?

Could links (maybe tags too?) be made a different colour (and italics ?) - just to show they are links?

See post #63 above, the link just looks like normal text !

It's looking better now that the BOLD for unread posts is working. Makes it look better as well. Will keep on playing :)

Rob, Yes you have understood the problem OK.

Is there a way a I can change the order of the posts in a forum to show the last post first rather than as it is at the moment.

Thanks

Dave (h5djr)

+1, when clicking a thread takes you to page 1. Does not have to be re-ordered, just send you to the last page like it used to.

You could click on the last page number, it immediately takes you there?

Suggestion?

Making the borders around each post darker/black, will help with the issue of it all looking like its blending into one.

HTH

No classifieds?.

Might just not be showing on my iPad :-(

Sean

Sean, scroll down to bottom home page. Trading post. Classifieds in there. Working fine on my ipad.

Suggestion?

Making the borders around each post darker/black, will help with the issue of it all looking like its blending into one.

HTH
Hi

This is just a thought... What is the brightness set to on your screen... The background of the posts is grey and there is a dark grey border there already... just wondering if that's why they are missing..

A :)

The brightness is not glaring, and reasonable contrast (almost THX calibration ;) )

I can definitely see the grey background of the posts, but it's not that contrasting against the white of the skin. I'm sure making the post border black black will help :)

So will I ever be able to use TapaTalk or has that definitely been consigned to the round filing cabinet?

I did as you suggested and deleted it and then re-added it and everything works fine. Thanks.

Reactions: FactionOne
My Nokia windows phone would not let me put text in the reply box with the old site, used my old phone which was a pain. But with the new format I can so big thumbs up guys. Can't upload pictures, but my old phone will. I'm sure most problems will get sorted.
Would like to alter background colour.
I think it's understandable some members have a few gripes. Some folk just can't handle change.

Well done on moving to xenforo, on many forums that have moved, much faster and better on mobiles.

Reactions: Sandra
Not a fan I'm afraid, although like everyone else I will get used to it!

It feels clunkier than it was, and more like other forums.
One of the things I really liked about ASN over other forums (other than the content) was the slick and easy UI