At last i'm at 8mb

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Having had to wait about 9 months for my adsl to get up to the 8mb service I'm finally there! Its in its training mode at the moment so i'm getting between 6-8mbs but its a world better than 2mb I had before.... ****** fantastic!

8meg is quality - I'm with Demon and never seem to have drop outs (that I've noticed anyway). Just watch it screw up now... I think it's fantastic for streaming music and video. There's no way I could go back to 2meg.

I've put the request in for mine just before Christmas! Waiting for it to happen now!
Looking forward to it though

I'm on an 8Meg connection and due to the quality of the line and distance from the exchange the best download speed I get is 2meg :crying:

I use this site for speed testing: http://www.speedtest.net/

Anyone know any other reliable sites???

TDI-line said:
I'm still on dial-up.

Hmmmm cutting edge!
hayesmodem.jpg

im on tiscali 1mb. it connects at a mind blowing 160kbps. absolute ****.

they blame BT and BT blame tiscali.

A4 did you buy your modem from a bloke up the pub ? have you tried it out yet as i reckon when you plug it in all you will get is " breaker breaker this is a convoy, coming at you on chanel 12, do you copy funky monkey "

hahaha! Thats not my modem, its the one I sold you, haven't you recieved it yet? Don't worry about the coffee stain on top of it, it makes it work faster.

This is what I use, can't fault it.
We supply these all day long, never had a problem with them, I had a NetGear before, what a pile of ****.
draytek_v2800V.jpg

A4Quattro said:
I had a NetGear before, what a pile of ****.

Don't tell me that, I bought a NetGear modem router the other day! :sadlike: What problems did you have?

mmmmmm vigor :uhm:

Im going orf to the plane conveyor belt thread

joost said:
Don't tell me that, I bought a NetGear modem router the other day! :sadlike: What problems did you have?

It didnt have a coffee stain on the top of it

joost said:

Restarting it once a day, often couldn't get onto the config page, it seemed to overheat, in the end I binned the ******* thing. only 9 months old.

Oh great! I'll just see how it goes for the time being. If it goes tits up, someone may be getting a NetGear shaped suppository.

I'd never buy another, I spec this sort of equipment all day long, and we've had commercial premises with the netgear units in, its shocking. Some people get on with them okay, but my cousin had a netgear and apparently a lightning strike killed it...hmmmm.

If it stops working then return it and get a draytek, they don't sound very good but they're the best router this side of a cisco and a cisco router will set you back about a grand at the very least.

Cheers Chris, I'll keep that in mind. Knowing my luck the ****** thing'll be timebombed to stop working 1 minute after the warranty expires!

no problems with netgear here. I've had about 3 taken out by lightning, but i wouldnt expect it to survive after that.

one thing that is rubbish though is netgears support. Can't understand a ****** word, and you have to jump through hoops (i.e. reset it and keep resetting it, and get asked about your virus protection) for 30 minutes before you can RMA it.

one rule of thumb of netgear kit is to never buy one of their new models until it has at least one new firmware released. All of my netgear routers have been unusable till the first firmware release fixed the problems. All of them then have stayed up 24/7 till i have replaced them.

overall, netgear are good. They were a consumer side to bay networks who were very good, and then got taken over by nortel networks, who are still very good.

Netgear routers were also chosen by sky as the supplier of their sky broadband routers. Sign up to them and you'll get one free, or at least you used to.

madvw said:
no problems with netgear here. I've had about 3 taken out by lightning, but i wouldnt expect it to survive after that.

Netgear routers were also chosen by sky as the supplier of their sky broadband routers. Sign up to them and you'll get one free, or at least you used to.
My cousin's router was taken out abd there isn't a telegraph pole in sight of his flat, he lives in a town centre!

And I wouldn't say that SKY selection was an endorsement, they supply Amstrad equipment

A4Quattro said:
And I wouldn't say that SKY selection was an endorsement, they supply Amstrad equipment

hahaha, thats too true!!