Attempted break in for my car

Mr Freeze

Reaction score
Hi all

This morning at 6.am I was woken by a banging noise down stairs I jumped up straight away without a second though ran down the stairs naked as a J bird and found a hoodie masked thug outside smashing the lock out on my patio doors as you could imagine I totally lost it screaming i scared the life out of him and he made a run for it not sure if it was me naked or me acting like a mad man that made him flee . I ran upstairs to get some shorts on and my trusted baseball bat but
by the time I was ready he was back in a car with the driver and off down the street .
My wife got the reg but the police said it has come back stolen and was also used in another burglary where they succeeded to steal another car in the early hours of this morning .

Its left me questioning if i should keep the S3 if i'am honest as it as really scared my children

Not good mate what's the world coming to. Maybe look at some sort of security motion detector that makes a racket

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr Freeze and N.J.H
I wish you first came down with that bat , now operation Fort Knox..

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Hi all

This morning at 6.am I was woken by a banging noise down stairs I jumped up straight away without a second though ran down the stairs naked as a J bird and found a hoodie masked thug outside smashing the lock out on my patio doors as you could imagine I totally lost it screaming i scared the life out of him and he made a run for it not sure if it was me naked or me acting like a mad man that made him flee . I ran upstairs to get some shorts on and my trusted baseball bat but
by the time I was ready he was back in a car with the driver and off down the street .
My wife got the reg but the police said it has come back stolen and was also used in another burglary where they succeeded to steal another car in the early hours of this morning .

Its left me questioning if i should keep the S3 if i'am honest as it as really scared my children

Having a nice car is becoming less desirable, as scum think they have a right to take it. Pleased you were able to scare them off, but sorry as it has left your children scared. But luckily you did scare them off.

Will they come back? Who knows? But thieves like easy targets, and as you've scared them away once, they `should` be less likely to come back, as they'll maybe expect to be disturbed again.

Rather than sell the car (why should you have to?) I'd beef up my security. CCTV. Better locks on your house doors & windows, and if you have a garage use it. Also, maybe buy a steering and gear level lock. It won't stop a determines thief, but would they then want to be messing on with a steering lock etc when they've just broken into your house, and Plod is probably on the way?

Last thing you should do though is hide your car keys. If they do get in, let them take the keys and F***off as quickly as possible. Never give them an excuse to stay in your house for more than a few seconds, or worse give them an excuse to walk upstairs where your family is.

Understandably, you and your family are shaken by this, and the easy thing to do is sell it. But any car can be stolen for different reasons. The car you buy to replace the S3 may also be a target for whatever reason.

Reactions: RS3 S., Audi Bairn, S32B and 2 others
Really sad to hear this but "glad" to hear they were unsuccessful and no one was hurt.

As others have said, you shouldn't have to sell a car you've worked hard for.

When I got my car and my parents got a new one we invested in bright motion lights as this is often enough to put wannabe thieves off (as they're not sure if it is just a light or a camera). We also have one of those ring floodlight cameras which are brilliant.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, S32B and Mr Freeze
Hi all

Its not the car, in 2019 456 A3/S3 cars were stolen in the uk making it the 10th most stolen car. If you buy a Ford Fiesta there were 2384 stolen in 2019 making it the most stolen car. Manchester is 4th in the car crime league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Freeze and Jassyo06
Its not the car, in 2019 456 A3/S3 cars were stolen in the uk making it the 10th most stolen car. If you buy a Ford Fiesta there were 2384 stolen in 2019 making it the most stolen car. Manchester is 4th in the car crime league.
Probably 5 times as many ford fiestas on the road though compared to A3/S3 though (I'd assume)

Reactions: S32B and Mr Freeze
My home has been broken into twice by car thieves in the last 6 years....on both occasions they shot the craw after the Mrs screamed at them....she even ran after one....as he fled into a car.....l was extremely vigilant for several months after each incident and if l am honest its...still in the back of my mind every night to a slight degree....but never once have l thought about selling no point... self install CCTV and motion sensing led security lights.....to slightly ease your anxiety......house security comes before car security....

Reactions: Audi Bairn, S32B and Mr Freeze
Thank you for the replies everyone a lot of valid points and it is appreciated .
Got new anti snap locks fitted earlier on and some extra locks to sure up the patio doors
Gonna to look into getting some cameras fitted and better locks on the windows too
hopefully that does the trick .

Reactions: Damo S, RS3 S., Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Really sorry to hear this, unfortunately it’s the world we live in due to the punishment these scum receive, if they are even caught and charged.

As said 99% of the time they are looking for the easiest target, the best you can do is make yours more difficult to steal than someone else’s and hope they move on.

I have as much security on the house as possible, and the same with the car. However if they really want the car they will get it one way or another, but as above I have made this as difficult as possible. That’s all you can do.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Mr Freeze
A friend of mine had his house broken into, he heard them going at the lock and got.behind the door just as they managed to open it and was holding it shut whilst they were kicking it to bits. I remember the police advising him to come up with his own lock of some sort even something as simple as a piece of wood chocking the door shut or something similar to a sash guard but obviously more heavy duty.

As others have said glad everyone is ok but you shouldn't have to suffer.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Mr Freeze
Shocking that some scum think it is ok to try and steal the car , Pity you didn't bring the bat with you cause that would have been scary, Naked man swinging a baseball bat , at least you and family are ok , Did the police come and take forensics from the door or car or not ?
I hope they catch them and let every owner whose car they tried have 2 mins in a locked cell with them ,would not be much left I would think.

Shocking that some scum think it is ok to try and steal the car , Pity you didn't bring the bat with you cause that would have been scary, Naked man swinging a baseball bat , at least you and family are ok , Did the police come and take forensics from the door or car or not ?
I hope they catch them and let every owner whose car they tried have 2 mins in a locked cell with them ,would not be much left I would think.
I like the baseball bat idea a lot but you hit these scumbags and cause them serious injury the laws on their side when they are breaking and entering and trying to steal your pride and joy.scumbags.

Sorry to hear about what happened. Personally the best precaution is a good GAP insurance policy that way you’ll never be out of pocket.

As others have said the best deterrent is good home security to prevent any more break ins. Some suggest hiding your keys or installing extra security on your car such as GHOST etc but I personally wouldn’t opt for either, I wouldn’t want thieves rooting around or being unable to start the car with the key and coming back inside to find out why...

Last edited:
Reactions: pharmamadz and Mr Freeze
Might not apply for you but if you have two cars and a driveway where they're parked one in front of another you could make sure you're parking the more valuable one closest to the house. Might be a PITA but thieves look for the easiest pickings & if the car is blocked in by another then they're more likely to move onto another target I'd imagine.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Mr Freeze and N.J.H
Utter scum, glad they didn't get your car.
I've installed the Blink XT2 camera from Amazon in my back garden, it's wireless and they don't charge you a subscription which is nice. I've got two fairly old patio doors at the back so that's my house's weak spot (front and side have new doors and windows).
I have a Ring doorbell on the front covering both my cars (also owned by Amazon lol) though admittedly I could do with a better camera higher up (I'm at the end of a cul de sac so have a really good view of the whole street).
My keys are within easy reach (but can't be fished through the letterbox hole in the front door!), like others have said I don't want them looking through my house. I usually put a Wheel Lock Pro on my S3 (especially now with the lockdown), may well block it in with my other car too for good measure.
I hope you don't resort to selling the car, it would be such a shame to do because of some low-life scumbags that have scared you, but it's really tough, I have two little ones and I wouldn't want them to be scared.
Take care and stay safe buddy

Reactions: pharmamadz, Audi Bairn and Mr Freeze

It's because Ford, like other manufacturers have made there cars very easy to steal with all these keyless go systems.

Sorry to hear about what happened. Personally the best precaution is a good GAP insurance policy that way you’ll never be out of pocket.

As others have said the best deterrent is good home security to prevent any more break ins. Some suggest hiding your keys or installing extra security on your car such as GHOST etc but I personally wouldn’t opt for either, I wouldn’t want thieves rooting around or being unable to start the car with the key and coming back inside to find out why...

The first thing I did when I bought my X3 was get a Ghost fitted. Not so much for when it was parked at home, as it's always Garaged, and they'd have to move another car out of the way to get it. But for when I was out and about. I didn't want to be out for a walk over the lakes, or out on a night out, to come back to find the car was gone. Bad enough having your car stolen, but if you're 80 miles from home in the middle of no where, then it becomes an even worse situation.

As for a Ghost as home. I still think they are a good idea. If they get into the car (via keyless signal) and the car starts but shuts down. Will they then want to start breaking into your house to ask for the code? Once you hear the car start, you'll probably be awake and either shouting to scare them off, or phoning plod. And if they have broken in for the keys, it's the same situation. Why go back into the house, when Plod is on their way, and most people would then barricade the family into 1 room.

But yes, some may well come back in. There will always be those who will. But hanging around inside your house is not what they want.

GAP insurance is all well and good (and I always take it out) but apart from leaving my keys in easy sight (once they're in) I don't want to make it too easy for them to just take the car. If they do, then they'll know that most people will probably replace like for like, so they'll be back for your next car.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. It just depends on what each of us are most comfortable with.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Bells
Probably 5 times as many ford fiestas on the road though compared to A3/S3 though (I'd assume)

Exactly this ^^^. it's like saying buy a Ford Capri as 0 got stolen last year :)

self install CCTV and motion sensing led security lights.....to slightly ease your anxiety......house security comes before car security....
Fully agree, since having my cctv & security lights I've been asked once by the Police and twice by my neighbours if they picked anything up. The Police when a car down the road got stolen, neighbours when next door got conned by a mobile fishmonger! and across the road when they found their car at the bottom of the hill, Police said they had left the handbrake off, but the neibour thought it had been moved. So if the police and neighbours spot the cctv you can bet the thieves do.

Thank you for the replies everyone a lot of valid points and it is appreciated .
Got new anti snap locks fitted earlier on and some extra locks to sure up the patio doors
Gonna to look into getting some cameras fitted and better locks on the windows too
hopefully that does the trick .
Like others have said if they want to get in they will, all you can do is make it look harder for them and hope they move on. At the end of the day they could just smash the patio window and walk in through it. You can buy bars that just sit under the handle of your door, so it they do break the lock they can't open the door.

GAP is 100% worth it, my nephew was in two minds to get it or not when he bought his new car, I pushed him to it. Unfortunately his car was written off and he had to claim on it, if he hadn't had it in place he would have been down by about £3,000.
As for the Ghost see my reply below the next quote:

The first thing I did when I bought my X3 was get a Ghost fitted. Not so much for when it was parked at home, as it's always Garaged, and they'd have to move another car out of the way to get it. But for when I was out and about. I didn't want to be out for a walk over the lakes, or out on a night out, to come back to find the car was gone. Bad enough having your car stolen, but if you're 80 miles from home in the middle of no where, then it becomes an even worse situation.

As for a Ghost as home. I still think they are a good idea. If they get into the car (via keyless signal) and the car starts but shuts down. Will they then want to start breaking into your house to ask for the code? Once you hear the car start, you'll probably be awake and either shouting to scare them off, or phoning plod. And if they have broken in for the keys, it's the same situation. Why go back into the house, when Plod is on their way, and most people would then barricade the family into 1 room.

But yes, some may well come back in. There will always be those who will. But hanging around inside your house is not what they want.
The other option to do with the Ghost system at home is to put it into valet mode, that way they get the keys/clone them and drive off thinking they've got away cleanly, only to find that the Ghost system arms itself a few mile up the road, then when they try to start/move it again they can't! No way they are coming back to ask why then!

I have Ghost on my car, but I don't intend to get it on the next one. I'm just going to have GAP and the pro lock, the car is only going to cost about £21k, so if it goes I'll just get another one with the insurance payout.

Edit* Door jam, hmm can't get it to show the link! Search Amazon for 'Frostfire 5014 Dual-Function Home Security Bar'

Last edited:
Reactions: wab172uk, Bells, Nitro_CR and 2 others
The other option to do with the Ghost system at home is to put it into valet mode, that way they get the keys/clone them and drive off thinking they've got away cleanly, only to find that the Ghost system arms itself a few mile up the road, then when they try to start/move it again they can't! No way they are coming back to ask why then!

I have Ghost on my car, but I don't intend to get it on the next one. I'm just going to have GAP and the pro lock, the car is only going to cost about £21k, so if it goes I'll just get another one with the insurance payout.

I get what you're saying. For me though, I either want to stop them taking it in the first place, or never see the car again. I'd never want it back. Rather they were chased by plod in it, and then wrap themselves round a nice solid oak tree.

It just wouldn't feel the same again once returned. It'd be traded in at the first opportunity.

Reactions: Nitro_CR, S32B, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Having a nice car is becoming less desirable, as scum think they have a right to take it. Pleased you were able to scare them off, but sorry as it has left your children scared. But luckily you did scare them off.

Will they come back? Who knows? But thieves like easy targets, and as you've scared them away once, they `should` be less likely to come back, as they'll maybe expect to be disturbed again.

Rather than sell the car (why should you have to?) I'd beef up my security. CCTV. Better locks on your house doors & windows, and if you have a garage use it. Also, maybe buy a steering and gear level lock. It won't stop a determines thief, but would they then want to be messing on with a steering lock etc when they've just broken into your house, and Plod is probably on the way?

Last thing you should do though is hide your car keys. If they do get in, let them take the keys and F***off as quickly as possible. Never give them an excuse to stay in your house for more than a few seconds, or worse give them an excuse to walk upstairs where your family is.

Understandably, you and your family are shaken by this, and the easy thing to do is sell it. But any car can be stolen for different reasons. The car you buy to replace the S3 may also be a target for whatever reason.
Firstly @Mr Freeze sorry to hear this, it’s a traumatic experience whether they got anything or not so glad you’re all safe first and foremost.

I totally agree with @wab172uk above.

The only thing I’d add is, although very likely It was, it may not have been your car they were after. Also, who’s to say that they would do the same for another car even if not as exciting.

Personally I’d beef up security etc and be extra vigilant.

PS. there’s some things they’ll not be able to un-see, so they’ll not be back :tonguewink:

Reactions: Mr Freeze, wab172uk and Bells
I get what you're saying. For me though, I either want to stop them taking it in the first place, or never see the car again. I'd never want it back. Rather they were chased by plod in it, and then wrap themselves round a nice solid oak tree.

It just wouldn't feel the same again once returned. It'd be traded in at the first opportunity.
Yeah I know what you're saying, hence why I say I'd just go with GAP and the pro lock on the next car, if it goes I'll just get another one with the payout. Mate of mine had his Type R stolen years back, he got it back but sold it soon after, he said it just didn't feel the same.

Reactions: Adam14 and wab172uk
How about installing a post / bollard in your driveway or just behind where the car is parked. Much like blocking it in with another car I guess but if they see that they might decide its too much hassle and move on. Or a couple of very obvious wheel locks.

Reactions: N.J.H
Bit of a gag on I know but I have a radio alarm panel in my garage and I put a sensor in my van on a night.if they bypass your car security they can’t bypass the garage one.im in the trade but maybee a Yale set up or something
My radio siren is hidden in eves above garage so can’t be defeated.and it’s set by remote fob for ease.its certainly loud if I forget to disarm before entering van.

How about installing a post / bollard in your driveway or just behind where the car is parked. Much like blocking it in with another car I guess but if they see that they might decide its too much hassle and move on. Or a couple of very obvious wheel locks.

Having a bollard fitted wed/thu not cheap but it is another line of defence against the scumbags :icon thumright:

Yeah I know what you're saying, hence why I say I'd just go with GAP and the pro lock on the next car, if it goes I'll just get another one with the payout. Mate of mine had his Type R stolen years back, he got it back but sold it soon after, he said it just didn't feel the same.

I have GAP so in the worst case at least I wouldn't lose money . I totally get why your friend sold the type R i personally wouldn't want my car back if it went .

Firstly @Mr Freeze sorry to hear this, it’s a traumatic experience whether they got anything or not so glad you’re all safe first and foremost.

I totally agree with @wab172uk above.

The only thing I’d add is, although very likely It was, it may not have been your car they were after. Also, who’s to say that they would do the same for another car even if not as exciting.

Personally I’d beef up security etc and be extra vigilant.

PS. there’s some things they’ll not be able to un-see, so they’ll not be back :tonguewink:

Thanks .

Police said it was for the car as they broke into a house and stole another car down the road a couple of hours earlier using the same pug 308 unfortunately .

I'am sleeping with one eye open at the moment any noise I hear i'am up with the baseball bat lol .

Well I hope I scared them enough to see the back of them for good :tonguewink:

Reactions: wab172uk and John Pilkington
A bit late to the conversation. Sorry to hear of your ordeal. These scums need dealt with the old fashion way. Thing is who are they selling the cars or parts to, the whole world is on lockdown so very low demand for anything other than toilet roll. anyway hope you sleep better and maybe sleep with your shorts on from now on for quick response time with baseball bat:wink:

Reactions: Mr Freeze, N.J.H and A4A4
Having a bollard fitted wed/thu not cheap but it is another line of defence against the scumbags :icon thumright:

They seem to vary a lot in price from what I could see. I'm guessing its the usual adage: get what you pay for

A bit late to the conversation. Sorry to hear of your ordeal. These scums need dealt with the old fashion way. Thing is who are they selling the cars or parts to, the whole world is on lockdown so very low demand for anything other than toilet roll. anyway hope you sleep better and maybe sleep with your shorts on from now on for quick response time with baseball bat:wink:

Thanks mate I've had my boxer shorts on every nite since it happened :icon thumright:

Reactions: CHEZ and AlS3BE
They seem to vary a lot in price from what I could see. I'm guessing its the usual adage: get what you pay for

Yeah they do seem to vary a lot in price i've paid £500 for a company to supply and fit the bollard
if it helps keep my pride and joy on the drive its money well spent imo .

Reactions: Damo S and Pinky1959
Yeah they do seem to vary a lot in price i've paid £500 for a company to supply and fit the bollard
Kinda unrelated, have you let your insurance know? One would hope it'd decrease your premium, worth a go!

Just remember it's there when you jump in the car on a wet moning!!!

Don't want this:

Audi.jpg

Just remember it's there when you jump in the car on a wet moning!!!

Don't want this:

My wife uses the car for work I have a van but this is something she is capable of doing :blink: l'll keep you POSTED if it ever happens :laughing:

Audi.jpg

Reactions: S32B
Kinda unrelated, have you let your insurance know? One would hope it'd decrease your premium, worth a go!

No it hasn't even crossed my mind to be honest mate

Reactions: Adam14