Attempted Wheel Theft

driver_tim

Reaction score
Got back from a week's holiday last night (having left the car parked in the gated car park at the flats where I live) to discover one of the wheel nut covers had been levered off. It was left behind on the ground so I assume the original intention of whoever did it was to steal the wheels. I guess they were either disturbed, didn't expect the car to have locking wheel bolts, or at that point noticed the Smartwater sticker in the window and decided it would be unwise to carry on.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do to discourage this kind of thing? I have pondered a Blackvue camera in the past but obviously it wouldn't cover the wheels. Are the standard Audi locking wheel bolts any good or would I be better off replacing them with aftermarket ones? I have the standard S-line wheels which I wouldn't have thought would have attracted that much attention; that said a decent set of Audi alloys seem to go for around £400 on eBay which I guess isn't bad for an immoral night's work!

Don't quote me but I think the Audi nuts are actually McGuard ones which are pretty decent. That said any locking nuts can be removed but usually requires a bit of time and makes a racket so not something someone could do steathily. Surely even jacking the car up to get the wheels off would cause the alarm to go off anyway.

Proper Audi alloys aren't cheap, even the standard fit ones. After-market copies are usually far inferior quality and heavier so the genuine items will command a premium.

Add multiple sets of locking wheel bolts, that will make them think twice, one set is a pita, but 2-3 is fun for them lol.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Vertigo1 and WOLF
The only issue with that is that they'll just break into the car to get the keys for them.