audi 100 starting to burn oil

I

imported_avcraven

I sometimes see blue smoke from my exhaust if i put my foot down and I seem to have to top the oil up more often. The car is an audi 100, 1994 and engine is a 2.0 E, it has done 169,000 miles. I was told that the stem seals may need replacing but I don't want to spend loads of money on a 12 year old car. I have heard that you can get stem seal conditioner, does anyone know if it works.

Your Options

Faults could be

Pressurized crankcase due to clogged PCV or breather system:The car's engine is a giant pump, consequently it must breathe. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system does just this, allows the engine to exhaust the excess pressure build-up (which is a natural phenomenon of the internal combustion engine). Carbon build-up is a by-product of an engine and can build up in the PCV system, clogging the breathing passages. This in turn pressurizes the oil pan and pushes oil up into the fuel delivery system, where it is fed into the engine and burned.

Link for Conditioner( this is a short term fix)
http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/autosav...&afid=88888

If the valve stem oil seals are away the easyist way to check first thing when you start the car there will be puffs of oil straight out the exhaust as the oil would of been dripped through over night into the cylinders another way is to as much load on the engine so you take the car upto third gear reving high take your foot of the throttle and let it drift for a second and then floor it if you get smoke it will be a sign they are gone

Check the breather first before throwing conditioner into your engine

Cheers

Thanks for that, will try tomorrow. If the breather system was blocked would this have any impact on the performance of the engine. Except for the oil burning the car drives fine and has plenty of power, lots of life left in it yet

Would not really affect no ..........if you feel the car has plenty of power as well..how much oil we talking about that you are going through?

difficult to accurately say, probably about 1 pint per 1000 miles.

Going off track abit, the drivers side electric window has stopped working recently and I have been quoted £220.00 to fit a new one. So am thinking perhaps it's time to look around for another car. I saw an audi A4 avant 1.8 1998 with 95000 mls on the way home tonight. Anything particular to look for if I considered this car.

The window motor is a piece of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif to fix( £220 having a laugh)You can get a motor from online breakers for about 35-40 and take the door card off which is held on by two screws in the handle ,one at the back of the lever and two small screws on the top of card on sides and she pops off the window motoe is held on with three star headed bolts and plugged into block connecter ..replaced mine about 2 months ago

With that consumption it would not affect the performance

How much they wanting for the car?

First thing to check is the link arms front suspension as if they are gone it will cost you the same money again to fix for what you bought the car with...tell tale sign is the knocking when driving the car over bumps so on .......Timing belt and water pump change at the same time........good service history........leak in the back passenger foot well caused by pollen filter housing not sealing beside passengers wing

TBH i would go for diesel A41.9tdi ,is as fast maybe not at top end but they will do 200,000mile plus no problem and very reliable

i did have alook in the manual to change the motor myself but the description was quite poor and sounded complicated. I will have the door panel off the weekend and have a look myself.

They want £3300 for it but could possibly get them down to £3000. It has a full service history which has been carried out by parkland audi. Only 3 months on the MOT but Cambelt changed at 80000.

Thanks for your advice