Audi 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro - 2001 - B6 - Turbo/Power Issue

MattF

Reaction score
Hi everyone, pretty new to this forum but had Audi/VW/Seat for last 3 cars so some experience of them
biggrin.png

Recently our A4 lost power during a trip - literally after coming off a roundabout, it wouldn't rev past 2500rpm. At the time it felt like a limp mode and didn't want us to rev it. Nursing it home, if we pulled away and revved through the gears slowly and with gradual acceleration, it would rev around a lot further, basically as far as we'd ever rev to anyway before changing gear. The main difference here was it was clear that it had no power as acceleration could only be done slowly.

Whilst only accelerating this way, at the point the turbo would normally kick in and boost acceleration greatly (around 2500rpm), there was no whistle or change other than MUCH louder revving, almost like thrashing an old non turbo van or similar.

It has been on a scanner at a garage (the mechanic actually told me before looking or seeing it at all that it was "probably the waste gate") but came up with "Needle Lift Sensor".

I've read lots of threads on here an elsewhere all with slightly differing views and issues (but none mentioning this loud engine sound once the turbo should be working).

Rather than buy a replacement Needle Lift Sensor/Injector at £200-£300 (the car is now on 170k and cosmetically not the best so I don't want to spend a fortune on it for parts that might not solve the issue) - I thought I'd see if anyone else had had the same problem/knew what else it sounds like it could be.

Thank you so much in advance - so desperately need my power back as it's a bit embarrassing pulling out at junctions!
Blush2.gif

Hopefully adamss24 will be along soon to help you out, he's the forum expert on the V6's.

Reactions: MattF
Try blanking the EGR off and give it a run.

Hi everyone - so far i've cleaned out with Mr Muscle as per some other posts on here.
Now realised that the wastegate actuator arm, whilst it moved around 3/4 cm up (with some force) - and springing back down again whilst cleaning the exhaust side of the turbo.... It doesn't seem to move really freely AND nothing happens at all when the car is started for the first time - which as far as I can tell, it should do?
Even when revving, the actuator arm doesn't move a bit...

Is this likely to be the N75 valve or could it still be a sticky/stiff turbo inners?

Here's a video of startup and revving with no movement on actuator..

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Simplest thing is to start at the turbo and work back, take the vac hose off the actuator and vac the turbo and see if the arm moves?

Unbolt the 2 10mm bolts that holds the actuator to the turbo body and that will allow you to move the arm freely. It should be free to move with no stickiness at all. If it is jamming then the vanes are gummed up and need cleaning. If not then attach a hand vacuum pump to the to the actuator pipe and test the actuator is working correctly. If all is good check for leaks in all vacuum lines. If all appears good there then you could have a faulty N75 valve. As the system should be sealed you usually get an audible 'pop' when disconnecting pipes from the N75 so a lack of vacuum immediately after switching the engine off may indicate a leak somewhere. The actuator only moves when boost is called for by the engine ecu so it will not move when the engine is at idle.

Thanks everyone... On inspection and removal/testing of all pipes - it seems the actuator does move BUT only when the middle of the three vacuum pipes on the N75 is removed (the one which goes into airbox). If I place my finger over the middle of the 3 outlet/inlets on the N75 the turbo spools on revving and the actuator goes up and down fine...

Is this a faulty N75 or is it connected to something on the other end of the pipe between airbox and N75 (ie in the airbox)?

Thanks again for all your help!