Audi A1 Sline Competition 40 tfsi 7 speed dsg

JeffY

Reaction score
I’m looking to replace my 2006 A3 2.0T Quattro sportback and since I don’t mind a bit smaller car I’m considering an A1 sline competition 40 TFSI. I have noticed they have changed to a 7 speed DSG, any thoughts on the change and the car in general? Does anyone know the actual model of DSG they are using?

I’m looking to replace my 2006 A3 2.0T Quattro sportback and since I don’t mind a bit smaller car I’m considering an A1 sline competition 40 TFSI. I have noticed they have changed to a 7 speed DSG, any thoughts on the change and the car in general? Does anyone know the actual model of DSG they are using?
Hello. I can only comment on previous 40 tfsi A1 which had the 6 speed dsg and 200ps engine (210 now I think). In terms of fit and finish, the car I test drove was pretty much faultless. The 6 speed dsg was jerky and slow. I would hope the 7 speed is the one they used in the previous gen A1, which is great (just bought an A1 1.4 tfsi sport dsg, 68 plate). On my short test drive 40mpg was easily achieved. The power was a little lacking oddly (due in part to the 6spd ?) and just did not feel as super quick as the figures suggest. Perhaps the new engine delivers its power far better than the old one. Adjustable dampers (which are std) did not make a lot of difference IMO but the ride was pretty good in terms of comfort no matter what setting (only two) and no gas struts for the bonnet (tiny detail I know). Comparing to the previous A1 this new one does not handle as well and rolls a little when cornering at enthusiastic speeds. I have noticed that the Polo gti, ibiza cupra and Fabia vrs are off the manufactures lists now so does not leave many pocket rockets left (Fiesta ST/Hyundai I20N ?). Personally, after briefly owning an A3 35TFSI, I would go with an A1 35 TFSI (sacrifice speed for economy). According to Audi uk, the 40tfsi is about 200kg heavier than the 35tfsi. Cheers, Dan

Hello. I can only comment on previous 40 tfsi A1 which had the 6 speed dsg and 200ps engine (210 now I think). In terms of fit and finish, the car I test drove was pretty much faultless. The 6 speed dsg was jerky and slow. I would hope the 7 speed is the one they used in the previous gen A1, which is great (just bought an A1 1.4 tfsi sport dsg, 68 plate). On my short test drive 40mpg was easily achieved. The power was a little lacking oddly (due in part to the 6spd ?) and just did not feel as super quick as the figures suggest. Perhaps the new engine delivers its power far better than the old one. Adjustable dampers (which are std) did not make a lot of difference IMO but the ride was pretty good in terms of comfort no matter what setting (only two) and no gas struts for the bonnet (tiny detail I know). Comparing to the previous A1 this new one does not handle as well and rolls a little when cornering at enthusiastic speeds. I have noticed that the Polo gti, ibiza cupra and Fabia vrs are off the manufactures lists now so does not leave many pocket rockets left (Fiesta ST/Hyundai I20N ?). Personally, after briefly owning an A3 35TFSI, I would go with an A1 35 TFSI (sacrifice speed for economy). According to Audi uk, the 40tfsi is about 200kg heavier than the 35tfsi. Cheers, Dan
Thanks Dan, 200 kg is a lot, something to considering, I had hoped the adaptive suspension made more of a difference.