Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Sport

GlasgowRangers said:
Bowfer, have you actually driven one of these things yet?

No, but you said it was very like a 2.0Fsi.
We had one of those here for three years.
I drove it on a weekly basis.
It was an awful engine.

I've little doubt the 1.4TFSI is impressive, for a 1.4.
However, when comparisons are made with bigger engines, or people even start seeing it as a competitor to bigger engines, it becomes silly.

Why?

Don't you think that these small yet powerful engines are a step forward for the motoring industry?

I'm not sure I understand. Maybe I have missed something. Why is comparing the ability of a small powerful turbo charged unit to a larger normally aspirated larger unit silly? Surely this merely serves as a useful indication as to how technology has advanced?

I think we can expect to see a lot more of these units. Is the fact that it carries a lesser numeral on the tail gate putting you off?

GlasgowRangers said:
I'm not sure I understand. Maybe I have missed something. Why is comparing the ability of a small powerful turbo charged unit to a larger normally aspirated larger unit silly?

Making the comparison with larger NA engines is perfectly fair, although I was a bit dismayed when you compared it with the awful 2.0Fsi.:faint:
But there are people on here suggesting they might see it as a viable alternative to their existing 170Tdi.
Why would you do that?
Why would a car with 45bhp less possibly be of any interest?
I have zero interest in driving the 1.4TFSI, quite simply because I have zero interest in a car with only 125bhp and 200nm.
It's not even that clean an engine, with a Co2 of 154 g/km.
There are plenty of petrol cars manage that, with similar torque and power too.
Honda's NA 1.8 V-tec manages 140bhp and 156g/km, for example.

So, to sum up, it's quite powerful for a 1.4, but not particularly clean in the process.

Is that progress?
I suppose it's a start, I'll give you that.

The 1.4TFSi is a MUCH more refined drive than the diesel 170. Sounds much nicer too...loevly engine and exhaust note.

To compare with Honda's 1.8 140hp unit.

Honda do not produce a 1.4 engine with 125hp.

A 1.8 with 140 horsepower is hardly astounding when compared to the new VAG units is it?

My new Audi engine is a 1.8TFSi and puts out 160hp. It is lovely in comparison. Who would ever choose a Honda over an Audi?

GlasgowRangers said:
A 1.8 with 140 horsepower is hardly astounding when compared to the new VAG units is it?

My new Audi engine is a 1.8TFSi and puts out 160hp. It is lovely in comparison. Who would ever choose a Honda over an Audi?

Yes, but your car needs a turbo to put out 20bhp more!
So it's an invalid comparison.
I dare say if Honda added a turbo to their 1.8, it would compete.
I dare say the same would happen of their 1.4 engine.
So Audi aren't exactly breaking any new ground here.
They've just added a turbo to a small engine!

As for your Honda v Audi thing, that's just Audi blinkers again.
The Honda Accord, for example, is a very valid competitor to the A4.
I certainly considered an Accord when replacing my A4.
It was only it's styling that put me off, but the new Accord (due soon) promises to be bolder, inside and out.

I stand by my comments about the 1.4TFSI.
It's quite powerful for a 1.4, without making me think "wow"
It's not particularly clean though.
To make me think "wow", Audi would have to raise the bhp considerably, or reduce the Co2 considerably.
Until then, the 1.4TFSI will always make me go "...meh...":lazy:

bowfer said:
Yes, but your car needs a turbo to put out 20bhp more!
So it's an invalid comparison.
I dare say if Honda added a turbo to their 1.8, it would compete.
I dare say the same would happen of their 1.4 engine.
So Audi aren't exactly breaking any new ground here.
They've just added a turbo to a small engine!

As for your Honda v Audi thing, that's just Audi blinkers again.
The Honda Accord, for example, is a very valid competitor to the A4.
I certainly considered an Accord when replacing my A4.
It was only it's styling that put me off, but the new Accord (due soon) promises to be bolder, inside and out.

I stand by my comments about the 1.4TFSI.
It's quite powerful for a 1.4, without making me think "wow"
It's not particularly clean though.
To make me think "wow", Audi would have to raise the bhp considerably, or reduce the Co2 considerably.
Until then, the 1.4TFSI will always make me go "...meh...":lazy:

How can you compare Honda Jap/Swindon stuff with Audi. We have had 1.8T, 2.0FSi, 2.oTFSi, 3.2V6, superb Audi engineering, of course they are all different but I reckon Audi products knoc spots off Hondas and Bmw's too

Clog said:
How can you compare Honda Jap/Swindon stuff with Audi. We have had 1.8T, 2.0FSi, 2.oTFSi, 3.2V6, superb Audi engineering, of course they are all different but I reckon Audi products knoc spots off Hondas and Bmw's too

Are you basically saying Honda can't possibly compete with Audi, in any category?
Because, if you are, I can't be ***** debating blinkered nonsense like that.:no:

bowfer said:
Are you basically saying Honda can't possibly compete with Audi, in any category?
Because, if you are, I can't be ***** debating blinkered nonsense like that.:no:

Of course I am not!! I buy a whole product and suggest that I have yet to find another manufacturer who produces a 'whole product' to match Audi in pretty much all categories. I don't like Honda styling, I don't like BMW image and arguably it's inferior quality. This is my personal opinion hence I love Audi.. The 1.4TFsi is not the best engine but given the choice of an A3 BBMW or a Honda I would go Audi as the best total package. Not into debating 20 less on the CO2, 0.2 seconds on 0-60 etc etc.. I do agree with your DSG comment however but why are on earth are you changing for a BMW?

I'm certainly interested in trying the 1.4TFSI when I come to change later this year, mainly to get something significantly more economical and in a lower VED band, but without sacrificing petrol refinement.

I'm sure it will feel a lot stronger that the 2.0FSI, because it gives similar torque but at much lower revs. The same comparison would also apply to screaming Vtec Hondas, of course.

Clog said:
Of course I am not!! I buy a whole product and suggest that I have yet to find another manufacturer who produces a 'whole product' to match Audi in pretty much all categories. I don't like Honda styling, I don't like BMW image and arguably it's inferior quality.

Not sure I agree with the 'arguable' bit. I believe it is a definate.

Having owned 5 various 3 series cars which at the time i believed to superior to Audi and Merc. It is only now that I have owned both Audi and Merc that I know the BMW is inferior in quality. Of course that probably may not apply to all variants, but it certainly does for the 3 series.

M

bowfer said:

lol :)

Nicely put

Moisty said:

Having owned 5 various 3 series cars which at the time i believed to superior to Audi and Merc. It is only now that I have owned both Audi and Merc that I know the BMW is inferior in quality. Of course that probably may not apply to all variants, but it certainly does for the 3 series.

M

Glad someone agrees, seems some folks on this Blog knock Audi all the time, are they undercover for the opposition!!
:motz:

No but the bloke is entitled to an opinion and it makes the forum much more interesting to hear the various points of view out there. :thumbsup:

bowfer said:
It has 45bhp less, for goodness sake.
I'd be surprised if you thought it was even close to your motor, performancewise.

I'd be suprised aswell but if I'd said that without driving it the petrol brigade would be straight down on me saying I should drive it before I comment on things like that! :crying:

Clog said:
Glad someone agrees, seems some folks on this Blog knock Audi all the time, are they undercover for the opposition!!
:motz:

When I arrived at this site, I had to keep checking that i was on Audi-sport and not Bmw-sport.

Mind you,it's easy to tell, this site gets traffic!

M

GlasgowRangers said:
No but the bloke is entitled to an opinion and it makes the forum much more interesting to hear the various points of view out there. :thumbsup:

Absolutely, unfortunately Bowfer has been know to revert to personal attacks when he does not get his way. Something I do not agree with and in my view the discussion is over at that point.

I always think "would i say that down the pub?" If the answer is yes, then I post. If the answer is no, I delete or modify.

Simple rule but works well.

M

:icon_thumright:

Moisty said:

M

And in my experience the BMW 320d was good - even with the 20k on it when I received it (and 38k on when I gave it back)

The audi however was utter incredulous unreliable over priced ***** with a dealer network and head office support infrastructure designed to make the average person want to go postal at any and every opportunity

different experiences different results

one thing I will say though, the 320 diesel sounded like an utter bag of spanners, the A3 a smaller back of spanners and the Honda 2.2TDI is absolutely amazing,

My next door neighbour has an FRV with a 2.2TDI, we often see each other at 6:15 in the mornings - he can leave his car running and we can have a brief chat, if I left mine running I'd get an ASBO

bacardi said:
And in my experience the BMW 320d was good - even with the 20k on it when I received it (and 38k on when I gave it back)

The audi however was utter incredulous unreliable over priced ***** with a dealer network and head office support infrastructure designed to make the average person want to go postal at any and every opportunity

I hope you are posting this on Honda - spirt.net and whatever BBMW site they have...

:ohmy:

When I arrived at this site, I had to keep checking that i was on Audi-sport and not Bmw-sport.

Mind you,it's easy to tell, this site gets traffic!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and some of the discussions are quite interesting, some not so musch so.

But as you say the forum is becoming a bit of a BMW 'love-in' at the moment. Perhaps we should all go and discuss our Audis on the BMW site and give it some interest.

bacardi said:

Blimey, I hope I don't have your experience to come.

different experiences different results, how true!

M

If you want a refined diesel, go out in a 335D, now that is refined - I should Know thats what I have at the moment - a remapped one at that, soon to be an S3 though. Why, even though at 350BHP it is a ridiculously fast car and the torque, at approx 520ft/lb, is relentless, but it just does everything with so much ease, and it never feels like its being laboured. Im going back to an S3 for a bit more envolvement - obviously Ill have to re-map it to keep up performace wise with the BMW. - Slighly off topic - sorry

I have to admit that compared with the BMW 2.0D the VAG PD40 is very clattery and unrefined, and as descibed above is like an on/off switch at 2000 rpm, in fact the mercedes 220/200CDI is just as unrefined as well. But a choice of this or a 1.4TFSI, it would be diesel every time, just down to the torque value - god knows what the 1.4 will be with a full load of people and luggage.

I think in a couple of years time, smaller blown engines will be the way forward, but at present they are still refining them. The 1.4 turbo/supercharger found in the Golf/Touran is a horrid engine, hence why Audi have changed it slightly before putting it in the A3.

Just my 7 pennyworth!!!

Clog said:
I hope you are posting this on Honda - spirt.net and whatever BBMW site they have...

:ohmy:

nope, personally i've owned both, wouldnt necessarily choose either over an audi, The thing is, I absolutely love DSG, which makes choosing the next car even more tricky!

the BMW semi auto is hideous, the honda's takes longer to change gear than my A3 takes to need a new wheel bearing.

I went from two MKV Golfs, a GTI, then a R32, both DSG, to the 335D Auto, and even though the BMW is very refined, it just cant compete with the DSG - so much faster and more accurate gerachangs with the DSG - Im gutted they dont do it in the S3, and after speaking to Audi UK about it today, they probably wont do either

h5djr said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and some of the discussions are quite interesting, some not so musch so.

But as you say the forum is becoming a bit of a BMW 'love-in' at the moment. Perhaps we should all go and discuss our Audis on the BMW site and give it some interest.

:lmfao: ...Spilt my beer reading that last sentence, lol

I might buy a beemer and then become a mod on an Audi forum, now that would be a novel idea. :idea:

Would never work though.
:eiertritt:

M

Moisty said:
:lmfao: ...Spilt my beer reading that last sentence, lol

I might buy a beemer and then become a mod on an Audi forum, now that would be a novel idea. :idea:

Would never work though.
:eiertritt:

M

So do you think because I now drive a BM I cant moderate audi site?

marriedblonde said:
So do you think because I now drive a BM I cant moderate audi site?

Show me where I said that about you

Cannot believe you bite so quickly and easily, perhaps a raw nerve for some reason?

M

Moisty said:
Show me where I said that about you

Cannot believe you bite so quickly and easily, perhaps a raw nerve for some reason?

M

Well edited, very quick! It was implied in your post above and surely a simple question?

Do you think that someone who doesn't drive an audi can moderate an audi site or even run one? Yes or No?

J.

mister.c. said:
Patient of a saint MB

Re Moisty's comment... It's a bit like asking if a Christian be an atheist? Or can a 5 foot guy have a 33in Inside leg, not impossible! Arguably MB will have decided that Audi's aren't for him currently so it does beg the question... Bet I get warned or banned now as he is I believe all powerful. Must look at that BMW site!

Matt said:
I'd be suprised aswell but if I'd said that without driving it the petrol brigade would be straight down on me saying I should drive it before I comment on things like that! :crying:

I doubt you have to drive a car to know it's 45bhp less is going to be noticeable, Matt.
It's common sense, given that the cars are practically identical in other ways (weight etc.)
Anyone spitting the dummy and arguing "have you driven one" is just being silly.
I haven't ridden a Yamaha diversion, but I know it's 60bhp is going to feel slow compared with my GSXR600's 105bhp.
45bhp less is 45 bhp less, regardless of how good the lesser engine it's for it's size.

Nice avoidance of MB's question there, Moisty.
I doubt Audi's ESP could bo better.

h5djr said:

Actually spend a lot of time on the BM sites, the conversation threads seem to be quite similar, guess the two brands will always be compared closely

not sure discussing my experiences with my Audi would be good for the Audi brigade though!

marriedblonde said:
Well edited, very quick! It was implied in your post above and surely a simple question?

Do you think that someone who doesn't drive an audi can moderate an audi site or even run one? Yes or No?

J.

Edited?

To answer your question, yes I do, but if you have two people that are equally good at moderating and one owns a beemer and one owns an Audi, then the Audi owner will generally be much better suited to the role IMO.
It is of course just as easy to be a **** mod and own either car!

M

Moisty said:
Edited?

To answer your question, yes I do, but if you have two people that are equally good at moderating and one owns a beemer and one owns an Audi, then the Audi owner will generally be much better suited to the role IMO.
It is of course just as easy to be a **** mod and own either car!

M

I agree or even an Alfa or a Merc. What one drives should not determine competence to do a job, unless of course you road test Audis..

Maybe not owning an Audi is not a good position to be in for a Mod on AS. I will probably be 'ex-communicated' for saying that.. but keeping on the religious theme (and I am not!) we can all be born again if we get cut off!!! Maybe a 'Divorced Brunette' could:icon_thumright: be quite fun!!!

Do they do an S-line automatic 1.4T? Really interested in this to replace the MINI.