Audi a3 2.0 TDI black smoke and engine light

r4vvm

Reaction score
Just bought an 2004 2.0 TDI with 120,000 on the clock.

Bought it from an old guy who went blind a year ago so car has not been driven since.

Noticed after a while that it was smoking alot than normal diesel engines do (black smoke) and after a while the engine management light came on.

Now i don't know whether it just needs a good run because it has not been used for a year or if it is something serious.
It does not have road tax or insurance on it at the moment so can't really take it out.

It passed MOT fine 6 months ago..

What do you guys think?

give it a scan with vcds see what comes up, and as you say if its been stood that long, give it a service

give it a scan with vcds see what comes up, and as you say if its been stood that long, give it a service

scanned it with vcds and it said something about glow plugs cleared the codes and says no errors now. That was just the engine module, is there any other modules i should scan.

After i cleared the code the engine management light went out...

As said just service and take it from there, could always put the fault code up and see if you can find more about it and if it's serviced at the garage ask for some form of health check too whilst your there.

Should of really put this in the A3 section :rulez: not that I'm a mod or anything just a forum junkie.

I only have vcds lite so cant do full scan :(

Just been reading about the cylinder head crack and have noticed the coolant level is low. Hope i don't have to replace it