Audi A3 2005 - Can I install a touch screen?

M

Mojave96

Hi guys,

I've been visiting this forum many times over the past couple of months, so I decided to register today.

Surprisingly I can't find any solid info about it, but my A3 has a factory fitted Chorus radio. I was wondering if it is possible to take out that panel and fit in a touch screen instead?

In the mean time I I'll get to know the other forum sections and have a look at the rules :grin:Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I think this was meant to be in the In-Car Entertainment section :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums, there are Android headunits with touchscreens which are excellent but you need a double din chorus fitted.

Thanks! Glad to be a part of this community :)

Ohhh right, I see, this clears so much up for me. Unfortunately I have a single din :/

I suppose not but would it be possible to convert it somehow, get a professional to re-wire or something?

EDIT: Right, based on what you said, I will need a new cage so I won't bother. Thanks for that, if it wasn't for you I'd still be looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure but have a search around I am sure someone has at least tried the same

Reactions: Mojave96
I did a retrofit to double din recently, it was a bit of a faff about but quite doable. Cost me about £100-150 for the conversion and around £350 for the new headunit. Here's a video of it fitted :)

Reactions: kenneth1 and Ahmed Hoang
I did a retrofit to double din recently, it was a bit of a faff about but quite doable. Cost me about £100-150 for the conversion and around £350 for the new headunit. Here's a video of it fitted :)

That is too cool! I'm not a great mechanic or DIY person, so would you know who would do that for me? Did you do it yourself, or did you get someone to do the conversion?

Looks well done, clean too :)

It's fairly easy to do if you follow one of the guides, takes a good couple of hours though, I did mine last year (2004 a3). You need the cage, buttons and ideally a new hvac unit (although it is possible to trim your existing one to fit

It's fairly easy to do if you follow one of the guides, takes a good couple of hours though, I did mine last year (2004 a3). You need the cage, buttons and ideally a new hvac unit (although it is possible to trim your existing one to fit

Thanks guys! I saw one such guide on another forum, but it comes down to one thing - it's harder than I thought tbh. I thought it was a case of just fitting the screen and re-wiring it.

I will try to find someone in my area that does tuning or whatnot and ask around, whether they will be able to do that for me.

One more thing, non of the guides online are for non AC cars, mines non ac and I needee to custom fabricate new mountings on the bottom of the cage.

Right, that settles it then, I'm getting a new A3 in the near future, since that will be easier :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

It really wasnt too bad, I plan on keeping this car till it goes bang though, so 2 days swearing in thr garage was worth it

Whats the spec of your current A3?

It really wasnt too bad, I plan on keeping this car till it goes bang though, so 2 days swearing in thr garage was worth it

Whats the spec of your current A3?

It's going to sound stupid but...I don't actually know lol.

Well it's a 1.6 (FSI I presume, since petrol) and I think I've got the most basic model that was out...SE was it? I can't find much info on it and I'm not really a petrol head like some people on this forum :(

Where are you from. I may be able to lend a hand if your near

I'm UK based, Portsmouth area. That would be nice tbh, thanks for the offer.

I'm in the same boat as you, I've got a SE as well with about as many modern comforts as an old barn. I was in your seat not to long ago, when I first had the car I didn't even know if it was air con or not. What I will say is, give it a month or two on these forms and you'll start to see little cheap things you can do which will build your confidence. Maybe look at doing the smoking pack delete?

Oh man, yeah that's quite a bit away. Well I wouldn't worry about it then, but I do appreciate the offer, thank you. Well, I think I will put that double-din conversion on the near-future-to-do-list tbh.

I'm in the same boat as you, I've got a SE as well with about as many modern comforts as an old barn. I was in your seat not to long ago, when I first had the car I didn't even know if it was air con or not. What I will say is, give it a month or two on these forms and you'll start to see little cheap things you can do which will build your confidence. Maybe look at doing the smoking pack delete?

Yeah haha, doesn't live up to modern-perceived standards does it.

Thanks for the confidence boost, I will definitely stay on these forums and try to look around, this community really is a great help.

I will also have a look at the smoking pack delete, definitely. Doesn't even do any good as I don't smoke! Much appreciated guys :) Will have a look around and see what I can do haha

You will pick things up fairly quickly, I've only been driving under 2 years and my a3 is my first car, I knew nothing about working on cars before I got it, so far I've....
Converted to double din
Fit touch screen head unit
Repainted all door trims in brushed silver
Fit TT headlight switch
S3 air vents
S-line gear surround and ashtray
Repainted wheels
Fit rear spacers
Single grill front end conversion
Fit newer and unripped seats and doorcards
Centre armrest
Footwell led light retrofit
Door handle light retrofit
Full interior led
Changed all speakers for nicer ones
Fit semi stealth rear sub and amp
Second boot light
Self retracting parcel shelf chords.
Pressed plates
Serviced the car 3 times
Halfway through repairing and reprinting the engine cover

I think that's it for now.
Like I said, you soon pick things up

Reactions: Ahmed Hoang
Oh man, that's pretty good! Few things stand out for me on that list that I wanted to do as well, one of them being repainting alloys. Mine are scratched to s*ite! I need to stalk the forum a bit, see what others have done :D

Much appreciated for welcoming me to the forum like this, it's nice to be able to ease in to a new community...unlike some other forums :sunglasses:

Yeah there's plenty you can do, forgot a couple of things
2011 rear lights
A4 flip cigarette lighter.
Ambient lighting
Swapped the card holder for cup holder
De wipered the rear (then put it back on a month later)
Passat fan washer jets
Painted brake calipers black
Changed the glass on the binacle as it was cracked
De-badged the rear

The wheel repaint was the first one I did, helps that I'm a painter (sort of).
Take a look in the faq section too, that'll give you a good idea of things that can be do

Reactions: Mojave96 and Ahmed Hoang