Audi A3 2009>> halogen headlight bulb change

erq55

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i've just spent more than an hour trying to change the headlight bulbs on my 2010 a3 sportback without any success. although it is a small 1.6 petrol engine, there is literary no space in the engine bay for hands. i've hardly managed to turn that one cap to uncover the two bulbs but it seems impossible to pick the holder of the bulb and swap the bulbs. ive bought a pair of fancy cool blue osrams but i cant fit them in :( any ideas except going to the official audi service??

Last edited:
Hey Mate,

Some people have managed to change it from the engine bay but with difficulty and it doesnt help with fat hands like me.

Easiest way is to jack the car up, undo the wheel arch liner and poke your head up through there. It think you need a torx 15-20 screw driver but dont quote me to that.

I got away with undoing some of the torx screws near the top and the plastic clips and had enough room to change them.

Hope this helps mate.

Hi guys,

i've just spent more than an hour trying to change the headlight bulbs on my 2010 a3 sportback without any success. although it is a small 1.6 petrol engine, there is literary no space in the engine bay for hands. i've hardly managed to turn that one cap to uncover the two bulbs but it seems impossible to pick the holder of the bulb and swap the bulbs. ive bought a pair of fancy cool blue osrams but i cant fit them in :( any ideas except going to the official audi service??

As above through the wheel arch liner just turn wheel on full lock and remove the two Torx screws that hold the liners together and bend it back for access to the back of the light Much easier that way

okk thanks much guys :)

meanwhile, i tried the arch liner approach but was just too pussy to use force and bend it, i thought that you need to take the wheel off and put the whole arch liner away.. nevermind :) ill do it tmrw...hopefully :) thx again !

okk thanks much guys :) meanwhile, i tried the arch liner approach but was just too pussy to use force and bend it, i thought that you need to take the wheel off and put the whole arch liner away.. nevermind :) ill do it tmrw...hopefully :) thx again !
If you r still struggling to fit with wheel on you can remove the wheel and liner completely and then you can get your head in there and have a good look,it's easier but more long winded