Audi A3 8V Knocking/Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel

Mert

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have 2019 A3 Sportback 1.0 Tfsi, now 8000 km/4970 mile.
When I first heard this voice my car was 5500km/3417 mile. I have an unsolvable sound problem in my car.
I took the car to the service twice but still no solution found. When I first went to the service, they replaced both top strut mount and they said they solved the problem but after 1 day i heard that sound again. Because of the Covid-19 i had to came my hometown, and this time i went to the authorized service here went. I explained all the previous processes and i drop my car for one day, they told me “Front suspension bushes makes that sound and we lubricated them and problem solved”. I wasn’t hopeful but the sound was cut off after I got the car out of service.
Unfortunately, 1 day later the sound started to come again.
I'm about to freak out, how can such a problem be in the newly bought car.
This noise occurs when I turn the steering wheel at low speed. I will share a video with same noise problem. ()
Thank you in advance for your help...

Same problem happened on 2018 A3 Sportback 1.0 Tfsi. They also said that they will lubricate front suspension bushes which make these noises, but my problem is gone after the lubrication. Ask them in your next service to check again, I used the car for 20k km with that noise and didn't create problem.

I had a very similar problem with my brand-new A3 back in 2014, particularly creaking from the suspension over every bump or traffic hump. I knew it was likely to be the front suspension strut top bearings, so I eventually proved this by popping the bonnet and getting my girlfriend to turn the wheel lock to lock whilst I listened under the bonnet. The noise was very obviously coming from the driver's side top strut bearing, which was replaced by Audi under warranty and has been problem free ever since.

When I first heard this voice my car was 5500km/3417 mile. I have an unsolvable sound problem in my car.
I took the car to the service twice but still no solution found. When I first went to the service, they replaced both top strut mount and they said they solved the problem but after 1 day i heard that sound again. Because of the Covid-19 i had to came my hometown, and this time i went to the authorized service here went. I explained all the previous processes and i drop my car for one day, they told me “Front suspension bushes makes that sound and we lubricated them and problem solved”. I wasn’t hopeful but the sound was cut off after I got the car out of service.
This noise occurs when I turn the steering wheel at low speed. I will share a video with same noise problem. ()

I had the exact same issue/sound. They replaced a shock absorber under warranty. It fixed it however the sound is sporadically coming back on the right.

Were you able to diagnosis the issue?

Hello - I just brought my 2020 A3 in for this EXACT problem for the second time. Dealer had it for 15 days and replaced some bushings and lube. Problem is persisting a day after picking up my car. Has anyone had any luck finding a proper solutions?

Same problem here, 33k miles since brand new FL S3. Took it twice to different garages and they cannot find the fault. It is really annoying.

I have been very unlucky with my S3, gearbox and exhaust system replaced after 6k miles now the car is in garage again with Mechatronics fault and new clutch needed.

I will never touch VW group cars again as they made out of sh1t. Very disappointed as I loved my S3.

Hi everyone I am new here so ease bear with me. I have a audi a3 2019 plate and I have had the exact same issue. I took the car in 2 months ago and was told by the technician there is no noise all is OK but I wasn't happy on that so I spoke to the manager who said to re book it in and to meet the mechanic. The mechanic heard the noise and I also shown this thread to him too. After further diagnostics seems there the bump stops in the steering column needed lubricant all done under the warranty and a working. So just wanted to share that to anyone useful thanks

Reactions: JohnM100
Hi everyone,
I have great news. The problem went away when the bellows of the tie rod arm, which came out of the steering box, were lubricated.

Hi everyone I am new here so ease bear with me. I have a audi a3 2019 plate and I have had the exact same issue. I took the car in 2 months ago and was told by the technician there is no noise all is OK but I wasn't happy on that so I spoke to the manager who said to re book it in and to meet the mechanic. The mechanic heard the noise and I also shown this thread to him too. After further diagnostics seems there the bump stops in the steering column needed lubricant all done under the warranty and a working. So just wanted to share that to anyone useful thanks
can you tell me exactly how the part needs to be lubricated?

Hi everyone,
I have great news. The problem went away when the bellows of the tie rod arm, which came out of the steering box, were lubricated.

Hi thanks for your post. I really don't know as I took it to the audi garage as the car was under warranty...and that is what they told me... after 5 months driving the sound has gone. So if you are getting the same noise when turning the car then that is what I would advise to do... thanks

Hi thanks for your post. I really don't know as I took it to the audi garage as the car was under warranty...and that is what they told me... after 5 months driving the sound has gone. So if you are getting the same noise when turning the car then that is what I would advise to do... thanks
Thank you for your response. Do you remember exactly what was lubricated in the steering column?