Audi A3 Black trim on pillar??

a3_dan

Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all i just want to say hi !! Im new here have been using the forum for a little while now since i bought my A3 and found it really useful !!

However here is a topic i dont think i have seen before nor can i find any searches for...

I bought a 55 reg A3, 2.0TFSI, and its great, although it has got a scratch on the black pillar, i think its called he 'B Pillar' (Panel inbetween the drivers door and the rear window. My car is actually grey, but it has these black panels on the centre pillars, anyways, it looks like it was scratched at some point then it looks like some muppet has tried scrubbing at it and made it worse, so now theres multiple small scratches around the larger deeper scratch and it sticks out like a sore thumb, and what with it being on the drivers side, i cant ignore it any longer!!!

Any ideas what can be done to get rid?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Dan :icon_thumright:

If its anything like the A4, these are replaceable.Check with your nearest stealer, or pm pjmspeedy

Does the pillar feature a matt finish or a high gloss finish? If it's the latter you should be able to polish it up to a high standard with Menzerna 203S on a Lake Country German CCS Light Cut Pad (by hand), but if it's a matt finish then it's unlikely you'll be able to fix it, and replacement will be necessary. Can you post up a decent image of the pillar to give us a feel for the severity of the problem?

Hi ya,

I have the matt finish style pillars, please see shots below:
(Hopefully have attached corectly!!)

21092009032.jpg

21092009031.jpg

21092009030.jpg

21092009029.jpg

Thanks
Dan

sorry dudes, did read the above, hence attached the pics, my pillars are the matt black finish, and it looks like they are riveted in place, not sue how easy these would be to replace?? anyone have a clue?

Also if you are able to give me any advice on whether this may be polished out some how? Cheers..

Thanks folks,
Dan

if you polish it you'll get a polished finish ish which wont look that great.

Have you tried some trim dressing/back to black type stuff on it?. Mine were looking a bit faded/dull so I gave them a going over with some back to black I had in the garage and then some Autoglym trim dressing...they look spot on now.

T

I have tried the black dressing type stuff you can get from halfrauds etc, which does give it a good look, but as soon as the stuff starts to fade, you cant help but notice the scratches again, i guess i just want the scratches to be gone for good rather than just hiding them inbetween washing the car.

in that case I'd whip them off and give them a fresh coat of satin black paint :)

No idea how to get them off though!.

ooh dear. a bit nasty that..

my only advise would be to replace?

sorry

This might help.But double check the part numbers at the stealers.
left 2 door:8p3853289b
left 4 door:8p4853289
right 2 door:8p3853290b
right 2 door:8p4853290
no prices sorry

etka.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for delayed reply, struggling to get time to get on the forums just now. Aye, that's a bad previous repair attempt that has gone badly wrong. Given the material and texture, replacement is the only way I'm afraid... you just can't polish matt surfaces without producing an unwanted shine. Cheers to the chap above for providing the diagrams and codes; as he says, check them before ordering, but top man for sharing that. :icon_thumright:

Hi all,
Sorry I havnt got back sooner, ive too been real busy at work recently so havnt been able to take a look here for a while.

Thanks for your info above guys, i will give Audi a bell some time next week and find out what i can do!

I will update you all when i have more info...

Cheers lads
Dan