Audi A3 E-tron

Thats exactly my situation - only date now is July-September - they are raising it with AudiUK and Regional Managers as to why the sudden delay of upto 7 months.

Not heard anything yet - apart from my email to Audi Customer Services (UK and DE) were both deleted unread according to email delivery receipts.

I didnt expect a delivery until the March-April timeframe but to suddenly be told it will be an extra 5 months or more is uncalled for - and can only do damage to Audis reputation.

Especially as we did what we were told in early December - leave ACC on and you'll get allocated a build week in week 8 (e.g. for after wk8) - or change it to CC and get a build week quicker - which was either a direct lie or someone in manufacturing was covering up and promising things they knew weren't going to be true.

Is this the dealership raising it with Audi UK? My dealership just has no news and seem to not know what to do about it.

Looks like the R8 etron could get released before I get my A3. Maybe I should just cancel the order and remortgage the house. Hopefully by then my daughter will be able to sit up unaided and I can put her in the back

I ordered my etron at the end of August last year, expecting a January delivery. I traded in my A3 cab in October because I had access to my son's spare car until February. I do not have ACC, but delivery started to slip. . . .
and when it got to the end of March early April build I started to throw my toys out of the pram as I can't exist without wheels for that length of time.

Audi UK customer services have been fantastic so far. Since I first contacted them they have either rung or sent me text updates twice a week. I told both them and the dealership that I had to have a car from the beginning of March and after much debate between them this was agreed.

I do think that there was some debate as to who was going to provide the vehicle, initially it was the dealership, but when they could not insure one for me (I can't insure a courtesy car as I do not currently own a vehicle and therefore do not have an active policy!), Audi UK stepped in and on Tuesday morning I had a 15 reg A4 s-line automatic delivered to my front door.

So, yes it is possible to get hold of a courtesy car, just make sure that it is provided by Audi rather than the dealership.

My own car is due to be built next week - it has moved forward a bit and I bet the dealership don't hang around prepping it!!

I ordered my etron at the end of August last year, expecting a January delivery. I traded in my A3 cab in October because I had access to my son's spare car until February. I do not have ACC, but delivery started to slip. . . .
and when it got to the end of March early April build I started to throw my toys out of the pram as I can't exist without wheels for that length of time.

Audi UK customer services have been fantastic so far. Since I first contacted them they have either rung or sent me text updates twice a week. I told both them and the dealership that I had to have a car from the beginning of March and after much debate between them this was agreed.

I do think that there was some debate as to who was going to provide the vehicle, initially it was the dealership, but when they could not insure one for me (I can't insure a courtesy car as I do not currently own a vehicle and therefore do not have an active policy!), Audi UK stepped in and on Tuesday morning I had a 15 reg A4 s-line automatic delivered to my front door.

So, yes it is possible to get hold of a courtesy car, just make sure that it is provided by Audi rather than the dealership.

My own car is due to be built next week - it has moved forward a bit and I bet the dealership don't hang around prepping it!!
Very good news on both fronts. I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you eventually drive away in a new e-tron, there aren't many about;)

Got a build date of wk25 - which is 15-JUN-2015 - nearly 9 months after I ordered it - so add another 2-3-4 weeks for delivery and it will be nearly 10 months. Still miffed but after nearly 6 months another 3 and a bit should be easy. Dealer still liaising with Audi UK over delays.

Mdplatts: did you get drivers assistance or ACC? Also did you get an estimated build date on your order form?

Mdplatts: did you get drivers assistance or ACC? Also did you get an estimated build date on your order form?

It was DA, then we changed it to all the sub-components of DA but with CC in place of ACC (at additional cost) and on the promise of a build week before wk8 - which I didn't get. Now its finally got a (late) build week but with CC on it still.

The complaint email I sent to Audi UK(and DE) customer services were both deleted unread too.

I said they should upgrade the CC to ACC without any additional cost or time penalty - and give out free audi charging stations too.

Free charging stations would be a nice gesture although I doubt they'd be open to such a thing. What upsets me is that they don't even know why there is a delay - keep on getting fobbed off that everyone is in the same boat and once I finally get the car I'll be one of the "lucky" few to be driving an etron (And I might even get late 2015 plates!! :rolleyes:)

I think they should also re-price the car for ther UK - given the £ to the Euro has changed so much - and its probably priced up in Euros, then there should be a big discount too.

If I look at the German base-price of 37,400 euros - in August 2014 when ordering began that would have been about £30,100 or so (the spec is different from the UK spec but you get the point) at a rate of E1.24.6 = £1.

But now it comes out at £26,964 , E1.38.7 = £1 - some £3,100 cheaper (more than 10%) - and I doubt the slip has stopped there. If they can be bothered to make any e-trons they should be only selling them into the UK given the much higher profits they will make ;)

M.

Last edited:
I take your point but I recall reading a thread about the spec of German Audis and how they tend to be available at much lower/base specs to widen their consumer base. If Audi were to apply a Euro discount I'm sure people would want VW, BMW, Porcshe, Merc, Opel (probably forgotten some) to follow suit. Just wish they'd sort out their supply issues.

I take your point but I recall reading a thread about the spec of German Audis and how they tend to be available at much lower/base specs to widen their consumer base. If Audi were to apply a Euro discount I'm sure people would want VW, BMW, Porcshe, Merc, Opel (probably forgotten some) to follow suit. Just wish they'd sort out their supply issues.

I also priced up my exact spec in euro and convert to £ and its £4,380 cheaper - perhaps even more as there are some options which aren't available in the UK but I chose the nearest one. Not sure what position would be on VAT - probably remove german VAT and add UK rate - so probably a slight change there.

Ah I didn't see that you priced up a similar spec - point taken. I wonder if the Germans are suffering any delays?

Is that price taking into account the £5k that's been added on just to be balanced out by the government grant?

MDPlatts: it may be worth while ringing Audi UK Customer Services: 0800 699 888.
The information that they gave me about my order was quite enlightening. I ordered the car on 28 August, but the order was not accepted by the factory until 2nd October!!
I considered that this delay was not acceptable and was a contributory factor to the delay in delivery of my car. This formed the basis for negotiating the courtesy car.

MDPlatts: it may be worth while ringing Audi UK Customer Services: 0800 699 888.
The information that they gave me about my order was quite enlightening. I ordered the car on 28 August, but the order was not accepted by the factory until 2nd October!!
I considered that this delay was not acceptable and was a contributory factor to the delay in delivery of my car. This formed the basis for negotiating the courtesy car.

They deleted my emails unread - so I wouldn't give them the time of day. I'm leaving it with the dealership for now - I at least have a build date I can plan towards (disposal of existing A1 and loans etc).

The prices were without the £5K refund but that is the same either way. The cars will be priced up in euro and converted to £ - and that part has significantly changed.

I've just called Audi UK CS who were actually really helpful, and have given me a build week (26) - w/c 22/06, and were able to confirm that my order was initially recorded and processed on 5/12/15 which is when I paid my deposit, I had been concerned it hadn't actually been processed by the dealership until Jan when I received the order form.
My order form says delivery date of 31/03/15 so I should be in line for a courtesy car for a couple of months from what the dealership have said.

The prices were without the £5K refund but that is the same either way. The cars will be priced up in euro and converted to £ - and that part has significantly changed.
It is the same either way from the sterling price, but obviously they don't have that bump on the euro price, so it sounds like we've gone from getting a really good deal, to not as good a deal, rather than being significantly worse off.

Likewise, I've just been off the phone with Audi UK and they have given me an estimated build week 30, yet my delivery date on the order form is early May, so an 11 week delay. I can't believe how I can get this information from a simple phone call yet my dealership cannot! They are going to get back to me regarding why there is such a long delay and see if they can arrange anything in between, although they did say that I should speak with the dealership in the first instance. The chap on the phone did say that it was still an estimated build date (which could be prone to change) and delivery would take a further 2-4 weeks, so it's likely I'll end up with a September plate.

He also said that he was unaware of anyone in the UK who had delivery of an etron and if they had it would be a "concept" or "demo" model - which is clearly not the case as there have been a handful of people who have received their cars.

Well that progressed quickly! Following my call this morning I had a call early afternoon from the dealership saying that they still hadn't heard a build week and that she'd processed for a courtesy car to be arranged until the delivery date. I've just had a call from Audi arranging a car to be delivered tomorrow if the one they can find is acceptable to me, it's being arranged through a 3rd party leasing company so may not be an Audi. Does mean that I can push on with the sale of mine sooner than expected!

Did you complain to your dealership or only to Audi UK CS? I'm pending an update from the dealer on Wednesday so maybe something similar may arise.

A little confused that your dealership hadn't received a build date yet you managed to get one from Audi UK CS... seems like people are not talking to the correct departments :/

I didn't complain to either, although I was ready to come the end of the month. The dealership were quite proactive about it all, they've recognised the need for a courtesy car without me pushing.

It does seem weird that they don't know about the build week when I found out with a single call.
Audi UK CS were extremely helpful, I gave a list of things I wanted to know about my order and he put me on hold to find out and came straight back with the answer.

Likewise, I've just been off the phone with Audi UK and they have given me an estimated build week 30, yet my delivery date on the order form is early May, so an 11 week delay. I can't believe how I can get this information from a simple phone call yet my dealership cannot! They are going to get back to me regarding why there is such a long delay and see if they can arrange anything in between, although they did say that I should speak with the dealership in the first instance. The chap on the phone did say that it was still an estimated build date (which could be prone to change) and delivery would take a further 2-4 weeks, so it's likely I'll end up with a September plate.

He also said that he was unaware of anyone in the UK who had delivery of an etron and if they had it would be a "concept" or "demo" model - which is clearly not the case as there have been a handful of people who have received their cars.
Audi UK should be well aware that they have delivered e-trons since 17th January. Either that or I'm extremely lucky to have found a concept/demo model that matched my chosen option spec...:audibash:

Reactions: mckjerral
Courtesy A3 arriving in a couple of hours. I'm impressed at the turn around, but they're the replacement car department so I guess it's normally to replace non-running/completely unavailable cars, rather than my situation of my order not actually being due for another 3 weeks!

Reactions: jetron
Courtesy A3 arriving in a couple of hours. I'm impressed at the turn around, but they're the replacement car department so I guess it's normally to replace non-running/completely unavailable cars, rather than my situation of my order not actually being due for another 3 weeks!
Good news. I hope they can resolve all outstanding e-tron matters as quickly as I am eager to hear about your and others' e-tron experiences. :thumbs up:

Could I ask which dealership you are dealing with?

Does anyone know if the e-tron uses the COD (Cylinder-on-Demand) engine or just a normal 1.4TFSI using all 4 all the time.

The power/torque/speed and most importantly the co2 figures look the same as the normal a3-sb - its a pity they only quote the silly 177MPG figures for the e-tron and I'd be surprised if a normal 150PS 1.4TFSI could get the same 109 co2 figure - given its lower than that for the 122PS and the 185PS versions - and as far as I can tell the 150PS is only COD.

I'd be surprised if it weren't but its just not mentioned in the brochure at all - which whilst they are trying to sell a hybrid you might as well at least point out that the engine is their most efficient model too.

Good point..the specs suggest that is the COD model, but who knows?!

From a driver's perspective it could be classed as COD in so far as it enables all four cylinders when the power demand requires it. in Ev mode this happens when the accelerator pedal is pressed fully down past two sensors (one being the normal gearbox kick-down). In Hybrid Auto mode, the power provided is usually electric if available up to approx 25 MPH or sooner depending on accelerator response. In Hybrid Hold mode it might be possible to detect cylinders cutting in and out but I have never noticed it.

In short, it appears that all four cylinders are either on or off, but it would require an Audi technician to confirm one way or another, but the power management is probably already complicated enough without adding conventional COD technology into the mix.

Interesting. I was trying to find out how the 'Hybrid Auto' mode actually worked.

Does it make any difference to the MPG on long journeys at all? i.e. if you're travelling at 70mph for a 30 mile trip, does it get pushed along with a bit of electric assistance or nothing at all until the speed comes down under 25mph?

I'm trying to figure out what will be the most cost effective way of operating my new GTE when I get it.

My commute is 25 miles and I'm not expecting to do it all on electric. It's roughly 20% hilly rural, 40% dual carriageway and then 40% slow A road and city stop-start.

Is it best to do this all in Hybrid Auto mode or start from home with EV, use it all up and then go petrol or the other way around, petrol first then EV??

I can charge at work for the return journey so can use it all up too.

Interesting. I was trying to find out how the 'Hybrid Auto' mode actually worked.

Does it make any difference to the MPG on long journeys at all? i.e. if you're travelling at 70mph for a 30 mile trip, does it get pushed along with a bit of electric assistance or nothing at all until the speed comes down under 25mph?

I'm trying to figure out what will be the most cost effective way of operating my new GTE when I get it.

My commute is 25 miles and I'm not expecting to do it all on electric. It's roughly 20% hilly rural, 40% dual carriageway and then 40% slow A road and city stop-start.

Is it best to do this all in Hybrid Auto mode or start from home with EV, use it all up and then go petrol or the other way around, petrol first then EV??

I can charge at work for the return journey so can use it all up too.
I have found that EV works best for slow A road and city stop-start. Depending where these elements are on your journey, I would use Hybrid auto most of the time for the fast bits and switch over to EV for the slow A road and city stop-start. If the city stop-start is at the beginning, I would keep it in EV and leave it to its own devices. It would then use up the battery and switch over to Hybrid hold automatically. If in doubt, use the battery first.

What's the best numbers you've seen out of it so far jetron?
Would the headline mpg require in trip stops? It seems odd if it would as surely you could have infinite mpg if you include charging stops.

What's the best numbers you've seen out of it so far jetron?
Would the headline mpg require in trip stops? It seems odd if it would as surely you could have infinite mpg if you include charging stops.

@mckjerral Although I haven't been driving any significant distances recently, my best figures so far are:
  • Petrol only (A roads and motorways) 49 mpg
  • Hybrid auto (A roads and motorways) 74 mpg
  • Ev (A & B roads) 25 mpg

I have completely disregarded the headline figures as I'm unsure of how they are calculated. You are correct that you could achieve infinite mpg if you stick to charging stops but at 25 miles range, it isn't that easy to do as yet.

I tried out Ecotricity's Fast AC charger but that didn't manage to charge the e-tron despite the Charge pump displaying “Charging” and “Charge mode: Standard”, however, the e-tron charge LED on the charging port was a steady yellow colour, indicating the charging cable was connected but no mains power detected.

Ecotricity have come back to me quite promptly with the following information:
The Audi E-Tron isn’t directly compatible with our 50 Kw rapid chargers using the AC rapid charging ability.

The manufacturers design of the vehicle is such that it wasn’t designed to be compatible for rapid charging which is why you’ve experienced problems trying to connect to our rapid charge points. The software in the vehicle simply isn’t designed to communicate and accept rapid chargers from charge points such as ours.

Your vehicle can obtain a charge on our medium 22Kw chargers where the lower rate of charge will be compatible with your vehicle and you would be able to charge. Currently we’re expanding our electric highway network and planning to install more charge points at established sites and at new sites where there is no charging available. As part of this expansion programme we don’t plan to install any more medium 22kw chargers on our network and our focus is on chargers that can charge pure electric vehicles rapidly.

So the dealership got back to me today and said they cannot offer any form of solution to make up for the delay - which is now looking like 4 months from what was expected. Looks like I'll need to speak with Audi UK CS.

So the dealership got back to me today and said they cannot offer any form of solution to make up for the delay - which is now looking like 4 months from what was expected. Looks like I'll need to speak with Audi UK CS.
My expected delivery date was the end of March. Maybe my dealership were just a bit more proactive with it, I know they've had a couple of their orders cancelled, so they might have a bit more pressure they can apply to keep their remaining ones.

My build week has come forward slightly from wk25 to wk24 (8th June) - hopefully there might be another couple more yet.

My build week has come forward slightly from wk25 to wk24 (8th June) - hopefully there might be another couple more yet.

Its now come even further forward to bw21 - which would be in the mid-may (18th?) range - so early june delivery or so. Time to get personalised reg off 60-plate A1-sline and look to borrow some of the folding stuff.

Mine has gone from 26 to 24, but they said there was still a chance of it coming further forward.
I'd better get my a4 cleaned up and sold!

Yep same here - personalised plate is now removed (using new online/flat-£80-fee/10yr service) - new V55C turned up next day and retention V778 document turned up the next day. New plates are now made and the car and insurance has been changed to reflect it. I didn't need to re-tax it - checked using another new online service. Next stop get car serviced and valeted before starting flogging process once it goes into build. I have a different reg to put on the car but I've already given that to the dealers - I think the electronic means to do that is on a private-beta at the moment only open to certain dealers but that is their lookout.

Hopefully mine might get a boost to wk20 (which is a week on monday I'm guessing) but time is pressing. Of course it might sit in the salty air at emden for 4-5 weeks (like the A1 did) but I hope not - I'm due some good luck with audi orders.

Fingers Crossed mine arrives on Friday morning. Finally had confirmation that its at the dealership and confirmed with the VIN and registration number.

The car was ordered back at the end of September 14 with an original delivery date confirmed for week 2, then one week before it was due the lease company contacted to say it had been pushed out to week 18, no reasons given.

Happy to say that it's on it's way and I can look forwards to a nice reduction in my BIK.