Audi A3 flat bottom steering wheel compatibly?

Chapoh161

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Audi A3 2.0 TFSI S-Line, 2007 8P1. I have the original S-Line steering wheel with no buttons on.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if a Flat bottom steering wheel from a S3 will fit my A3?

If so, which one do I get? Because I'm just worried that the airbag connection won't fit my current one on my collum. Of course of different shape of air completely.

Kind Regards,

Max

Should be fine, done it on mine. The vol and track buttons are nicely hooked up too with the help of a Highline module. Have a word with the main man @Ash187 as he expertly fitted mine.

6987-1456430900-d4c2cef2ed9a58cb3faab008b86c211e.jpg

6974-1455987578-3f7cdaf99beac947c94f0832ac0991e9.jpg

Reactions: Chapoh161
Donny was your wheel the original one with the square ish air bag at first and it got swapped to that one in the pic?? And wat reg is that on mate please looking at changing mine and very confused on what will and won't fit any advice greatly appreciated mate

Donny was your wheel the original one with the square ish air bag at first and it got swapped to that one in the pic?? And wat reg is that on mate please looking at changing mine and very confused on what will and won't fit any advice greatly appreciated mate

Hi Mike
That's correct - my S-Line started off with the round wheel with square(ish) airbag. It's a 2006 on a 55 plate. Where u based? Speak with Ash as mentioned above, he's based near Dartford.

The flat bottom makes the driving experience 100x better ;)

Cheers
Donny

I'm looking on changing mine but thought it would ov had to have been a squarish air bag didn't know u could change to a circle air bag one wat car is that flat bottom steering wheel off mate

Yh I've seen a few that put the tts ones on I appreciate your help mate thanks

on a similar question guys i currently have the wheel shown below on my 2012 A3 and was wondering which flat bottom will work by default?if i can also use my existing air bag would be great.
Wheel

The pic thatis in @Donny_DJ picture is the one I have in my S3 as standard and mine is a 59 ( 2010 model ) plus it is a double airbag 2 ignitors where as your 2012 could easily be a single , so best take it off and see what type it is first then do a search ( @Ash187 ) or (@fernando young )and look through the posts as there is a good one floating about telling you how to do it

Reactions: fernando young and Andreashadji
Reactions: Andreashadji
One from a tt 8j or one from an s3 or rs3 8p.

You can also use newer wheels/airbags from the 8k a4 or Q5 with a little rewiring , but not from the new shape a3 or tt as those are single stage airbags.

Only the early 8ps are single stage. From about 2005 they're all dual, so any tt 8j or s3/rs3 8p flat bottom will work.

Personally though, the cost is quite steep. If I had the 4 spoke wheel, I'd upgrade to a 3 spoke for relatively peanuts. You'll be able to reuse your airbag on a 3 spoke but not on a flat bottom.
Eg
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263964587276
you cant reuse the 'squared' airbag :( you'll have to get a new one, or a new cover at least

you cant reuse the 'squared' airbag :( you'll have to get a new one, or a new cover at least
:thumbs up::thumbs up:. @fernando young could you post up the link you started with the airbag retrofit as I can't find it cheers , that should help the guy out cause I am sure there is part number galore in it

Didn't say you can reuse them with a flat bottom.

That's why I suggested a 3 spoke steering.
wheel, it's an upgrade over what he has, can reuse his airbag and its relatively cheap.

Looking on ebay, the circular airbags are around the 300 pound mark without the wheel. Crazy money

Didn't say you can reuse them with a flat bottom.

That's why I suggested a 3 spoke steering.
wheel, it's an upgrade over what he has, can reuse his airbag and its relatively cheap.

Looking on ebay, the circular airbags are around the 300 pound mark without the wheel. Crazy money
i meant the rounded wheel with 4 spokes use a different airbag cover than the rounded 3 spokes. So it doesnt matter you have to get a new airbag (or cover at least anyways) because the sides that meet the spokes, have like a cut to fit on the spoke

Reactions: samisnake and Andreashadji
Reactions: ch1z64 and Andreashadji
And I can’t seem to find any complete setups...almost all are without airbags.any legit place we can get an airbag from?or anyone here selling a complete setup without rewiring or anything?

And I can’t seem to find any complete setups...almost all are without airbags.any legit place we can get an airbag from?or anyone here selling a complete setup without rewiring or anything?
That's the biggest price is really the airbag , my advice would be if you want the retrofit done correctly without any problems and done once give @Ash187 or @NHN a pm and get them to source and fit plus you could get an 8v wheel and bag cheaper and looks better and they can fit that

i meant the rounded wheel with 4 spokes use a different airbag cover than the rounded 3 spokes. So it doesnt matter you have to get a new airbag (or cover at least anyways) because the sides that meet the spokes, have like a cut to fit on the spoke

Yeah I see what you mean. Always assumed they used the same bag cover.

Reactions: fernando young
Ok so I found this locally for about 550gbp ready to be fitted.how is that as far as price goes?
4308D07D 801D 4AE2 8426 4C5FC5E1A36B

Reactions: fernando young
Ok so I found this locally for about 550gbp ready to be fitted.how is that as far as price goes?
View attachment 172645

The price is down to you I’d say, it’s whatever you’re willing to pay. They aren’t cheap though. I have that wheel in my A3 8p and I think I paid about £380 about 2 years ago and fitted it myself.
If you get that wheel and airbag you will though have to repin the airbag connector as that wheel and airbag will be from a newer a4 or a5. Once you’ve done that it’s a straight swap

The price is down to you I’d say, it’s whatever you’re willing to pay. They aren’t cheap though. I have that wheel in my A3 8p and I think I paid about £380 about 2 years ago and fitted it myself.
If you get that wheel and airbag you will though have to repin the airbag connector as that wheel and airbag will be from a newer a4 or a5. Once you’ve done that it’s a straight swap
Its supposed to be ready to fit and fully working.

hey,
wondering if I could get some help - I got a 2010 A3 cabriolet with a 3 spoke steering wheel like the picture attached.

I've heard there are newer steering wheels that use the same airbag.

was wondering if an upgrade is possible as well as which wheel the airbag would fit.

I believe in the thread someone said it'd fit a TT or RS3 with a round centre?

Thanks!
Images 62

hey,
wondering if I could get some help - I got a 2010 A3 cabriolet with a 3 spoke steering wheel like the picture attached.

I've heard there are newer steering wheels that use the same airbag.

was wondering if an upgrade is possible as well as which wheel the airbag would fit.

I believe in the thread someone said it'd fit a TT or RS3 with a round centre?

Thanks! View attachment 225032
Nothing you can do to upgrade that wheel or airbag.
You’d have to buy a new wheel that takes a round airbag if you want to upgrade