Audi A3, Wont start ? all dashboard lights are on ?

Ibz

Reaction score
Hi there,

Audi A3, 1.9 Diesel Special Edition - Manual - Cat D - 2007 - 81K mileage

I was returning home from a 200miles trip, when all of sudden on the motorway all the dashboard lights came on and engine cut out?

Since then I have not been able to get the car started. I turn the key but other than beeping noise I dont get anything ?

I am clueless - It has been less than 3 month since I purchased this car - Recently changed the engine mount too. Too stressed over this car.

Previous known issue -
* When I used to be in heavy traffic jam 20 minutes or more
* Power steering wheel sign used to come on amber and then red
* Disable the car for about 20min -60 min then it used to be normal again.
* Assuming things cool downed slightly

- I took it to a mechanic and he found a slight burning wire at the front - put some cover and tape - it worked fine for about 2 month. - I looked at the wire - its fine - no problem at all this time

I am very positive this time around the problem is related to electrical issue ? or I could be wrong

Please see video

Any thoughts?

Thank you

thanks for the reply -I am new to this - I have not got any tools at all.

Last thing I want is the garage to rip me off.
No problem man. Welcome to the forums. Have a look and see if the thread I posted has similar issues to yourself as that problem was a wiring fault under the battery cover.

Where are you based? Check the VCDS map for anyone local to yourself and drop them a PM.

Reactions: Ibz
No problem man. Welcome to the forums. Have a look and see if the thread I posted has similar issues to yourself as that problem was a wiring fault under the battery cover.

Where are you based? Check the VCDS map for anyone local to yourself and drop them a PM.

I read the post you sent it to me. it looks like this wiring could be the problem. Previously when I had the problem with power steering - wires near the battery got damaged - some tape sorted that. I am thinking this time around it could the same issue as recently they moved things around to get the engine mount replaced.

I live in london - I can see quite few VCDS map - will it cost much ?
Your respond has been such helpful - might even sort my issue. Thank you ! :)

I read the post you sent it to me. it looks like this wiring could be the problem. Previously when I had the problem with power steering - wires near the battery got damaged - some tape sorted that. I am thinking this time around it could the same issue as recently they moved things around to get the engine mount replaced.

I live in london - I can see quite few VCDS map - will it cost much ?
Your respond has been such helpful - might even sort my issue. Thank you ! :)
Depends on who you ask. Free or a few beers most likely. Just ask them what they would like.

Engine seized, belt failure, heavily damaged wiring due to previous accident, somehow preventing it turning over and/or running?

Could be something really simple as a dead battery, do you know how old it is? . You say the wiring is a bit dubious so take it back to a trusty mechanic for them to check it out. After all that is ruled out you need a vcds scan and hopefully an ASN member can help you out. A main dealer would charge you £60 to £70.

Reactions: Ibz
Just to give everyone update - I took to a Mechanic - Never been to him before.

He run diagnose via VCDM and found out no communication to power steering, starter motor, fuel pump and all the other places.
Battery is absolutely fine.

Did some manual check and found out all the parts are working fine i.e starter motor, and so on

He came back to me today saying ECU is gone. That needs repair and its costing me £280 !!! ???
If I buy a brand new one - apparently I need to reprogram key and buy other accessories with it etc etc.

How can ECU just go like that whilst I am driving at 50mph. Not even speeding. Am I being corned or that could be the case. - Based on similar problem people had with this car - it was all wire problem and I too had the same problem before and wire repair fixed it. Its a Cat D front end damage - This problem only started after replacing the engine mount - they must have damaged the wire in the process

Your Thoughts please. Its a lot of money.

P.S

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPOND. You guys are AWESOME ! :)

Could be something really simple as a dead battery, do you know how old it is? . You say the wiring is a bit dubious so take it back to a trusty mechanic for them to check it out. After all that is ruled out you need a vcds scan and hopefully an ASN member can help you out. A main dealer would charge you £60 to £70.
Please see above

A couple of months ago I came out to my car got in and the whole dash was lit up like a Christmas tree and when that happens it generally immobilizes the car, I simply disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and since then it's been fine.

Although 5 years late, I will reply to this thread.
Yesterday I had the same issue in my S3 8P.
While driving, all caution lights in the dashboard came on plus brakes failure message and engine died.
The diagnostic scan showed that all major systems (engine, abs, airbags, steering,etc) wherent reachabble.
Immo, media, doors, alarm, lights, remot were all working (at least I had music...).
All SB were intacted and the botttom of CB Box in engine was clead and free of water (I live in Greece and as known the weather is dry 330d/year).
After studing SSP 312, I found that the engine bay SB box is getting terminal 15 power from a single relay under the dashboard.
After changing relay 1 (most lower left one labeled "15" that had printed the number 460 on it), everything worked.
I was lucky because there are 2x 460 relays and for the testing I swapped them.
The PN is 1K0951263A.

If I have visited a "high-class" workshop thay could have easily charged me for an ECU or control board.

Hope it will held somebody in the future.

Alex

Attachments

• 0-02-0a-611b26c32a279e8dfc343ea1ddef8840ee18866545d3efb1106d4fe29c75bd9d_ff44d793.jpg
    0-02-0a-611b26c32a279e8dfc343ea1ddef8840ee18866545d3efb1106d4fe29c75bd9d_ff44d793.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 406
  • 0-02-0a-595300a11c0a7ef0926b633907b616f2db1fa022d92f89bb4c5acb20888bf000_a42c7d7.jpg
    0-02-0a-595300a11c0a7ef0926b633907b616f2db1fa022d92f89bb4c5acb20888bf000_a42c7d7.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 0-02-0a-12e21f35c4f48562f52c17cd67e978e201aba9aa199328ac85bbaba1a9785055_1998888d.jpg
    0-02-0a-12e21f35c4f48562f52c17cd67e978e201aba9aa199328ac85bbaba1a9785055_1998888d.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 239