Audi a3 won't start

Feeley93

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here I have a audi a3 2.0 tdi 140 8p 55 reg with 170000 miles

i had the car parked on my drive witch is a hill to change the lights on it yesterday
while I was taking the bumper off I kept on starting the car to move the wheels so I could get to the screws in the arch it started fine every time. I finally got the bumper of then fitted the new headlights and fog lights then put it all back together then started it went to reverse out of my driveway got about 5 feet then it just died and refuses to start now it just ticks over on the starters motor it's like it has ran out of fuel

I really don't know what it could be I'm not sure if it's where it was parked on the hill all the fuel went to the back of the tank then it used up all the fuel in the lines when I was starting it then it was parked up on the hill

it was so random never had any problems with starting it before if anyone can help would be much appreciated

thanks Glenn

Cant see it being fuel (unless it was really low) make sure theres enough fuel in, maybe try disconnecting battery for 10 mins to reset ecu.

it says it has a quarter of a tank and i have tried disconnecting the battery but it hasn't worked

I can remember reading something similar years ago where was started and driven out of the garage then stopped and wouldn't restart. I thought it would only apply to petrol cars but excess fuel from cold starting and only running for a very short time could cause damage to the cat so the ECU prevents car from restarting.
Wouldnt expect a diesel to be the same but sounds similar situation and the advice given was never to start a cold engine, drive a few yards and then stop engine but to let it warm up fully.