audi a4 1.9tdi quattro

wayne77

Reaction score
hi
im going to look at a 2003 1.9tdi quattro on saturday after sadly parting with my b5 s4.I have owned a 3.0 b6 quattro before but never had a diesel is there anything i should be looking for on this particular model and what are the parts/servicing like on these cars.my s4 was a money pit but i loved every minute of it. im now looking for a bit of diesel power and economy.

any info would be great
cheers wayne

Hi wayne

Like most cars .....
service history check ,
loads of black smoke
dose all the elec work
has cambelt been done ...

not sure really
i saw mine on autotrader, A phone call away....yes..... ,still have it ,ok be down in the morning ,,,170 miles away .4 hours by train ,bus ,cab
not the best looking outside ,but then it was on a farm,
once over ,,,,handed dosh and drove home ....that's when you know if you have a great car ......
i was lucky .....
oh yes temp check ,,,,,start up and see if temp gose to the middle ,, one less thing to do !!!

alan ..

as above really

as for the temp though it needs to be driven to make sure it goes to 90 as at idle it may not get there but in this heat i expect it would! just revving it will get it to 90 if you have a dodgy stat eventually hence the need to drive it if it doesnt reach at all its another job to be done

its easy to do though so can easily blag a few quid off £60 in parts if you do the stat and the temp sensor

Lookout for the BHP of the model, there are 100, 115 and 130 specs. I was looking for a 100, being a tight Scot and wanting to save on MPG, but got the 130 and very glad I did as it has good power and excellent remap potential.

Temp not reaching 90 is a very easy job to sort, so would use it as a haggling point rather than putting you off a car. Check mileage against the MOT history on the DVLA website for free and get Audi to back up the service history (which they also do for free). Car specific? Clutch and DMF would be my biggest worries, so lookout for those needing replaced. Cambelt, not such a tricky job but always nice when it's been done. I paid the lowest I've ever seen a 1.9tdi advertised for, but despite high mileage, I got a very well specced car with all the toys that had been looked after and haven't had any issues with it (touch wood). I've done all my own servicing including cambelt change and found it all quite reasonable for parts and very simple to service (nearly all the service items are located at the top of the engine bay).

Your S4 look awesome!

The quattro is only available on the 130bhp model.

It sounds sily, but check the quattro consists of driveshafts as well as badges...

Reactions: TheDriver
The quattro is only available on the 130bhp model.

It sounds sily, but check the quattro consists of driveshafts as well as badges...

You'd think he was joking, but there's a LOT of quattro badges that had never been within 20ft of a Torsen diff!

It should read "quattro" on the V5C.....

cheers for the help guys it is a 130 bhp model and has a decent spec having the half leather/alcantara interior done 108,000 miles full history with cambelt change at 80,000. looks a nice thing on the net but may be a dog in the flesh. what sort of mpg should i expect from one of these and what kind of increase would i expect after a remap?

All the quattro models came with the 130bhp engine so you'll be safe there.

Depending on driving style etc, most 1.9q's deliver 38-48mpg. A straightforward remap will see 170bhp and potentially another 2-3 mpg from what I've read, although again it depends how you drive it.

Real world remap will see 165 top's. The stock GT1749VA is too small and spike's easily. The same turbo is fitted to the 2.0Tdi and that struggles to do 170Bhp with no DPF and 16 valves head. They also like to snap shafts for fun due to overspeeding the turbo.
Fitting a bv43 turbo helps and moves the torque plot upward on the rev range. Clutch is the next weak link... Forget about fuel economy with remaps, most times is the placebo effect as the trip computer is confused and works on wrong data so will need calibrating. Only way to get better fuel economy is by getting bigger nozzles in, they will inject more fuel in a shorter window of time so the fuel has more time to burn complete...
The quattro is heavy and depending on spec willl be over 1600Kg, that will impact the fuel economy big time- don't be surprised to see less than 40 Mpg average...

cheers for the info lads i do hope it looks as good in the flesh and its not a big dissapointment.

Real world remap will see 165 top's. The stock GT1749VA is too small and spike's easily. The same turbo is fitted to the 2.0Tdi and that struggles to do 170Bhp with no DPF and 16 valves head. They also like to snap shafts for fun due to overspeeding the turbo.
Fitting a bv43 turbo helps and moves the torque plot upward on the rev range. Clutch is the next weak link... Forget about fuel economy with remaps, most times is the placebo effect as the trip computer is confused and works on wrong data so will need calibrating. Only way to get better fuel economy is by getting bigger nozzles in, they will inject more fuel in a shorter window of time so the fuel has more time to burn complete...
The quattro is heavy and depending on spec willl be over 1600Kg, that will impact the fuel economy big time- don't be surprised to see less than 40 Mpg average...

The first smart and true post which i`m reading about 1,9tdi quattro!!!

The most of the people believe after remap with stock turbo they gain 170-175bhp,whick is a joke :drag: ;160-165bhp is the real gain,i`ve seen a couple dyno sheets after remap.
With BV43 turbo from 2,0tdi 170bhp,FMIC and custom remap can gain 200-210bhp,this is the maximum power because of the limits of the flow injectors.I have this setup and im happy :sm4: ;i didnt have trouble with the clutch,its holding the tourque,but i dont run the car like i stole it,i use the power when i need it,or some times just for fun.
If i run the car normally,the fuel economy is the same like before my mods,which is not so great,being a heavy car(stock 1614kg) and 4x4.
Under normal driving,the trip computer shows unless 0,1-0,3%,but if u drave fast,can go up to 1%!

well i went to look at the tdi quattro and it was a bit of a mess with not much service history at all. i am now going to look at a 1.8t 190bhp sline tomorrow which looks stunning in red and sounds like a very good car according to the seller.my only concern is the mileage its done 157000 miles but with 16 main dealer stamps and 2 cambelt changes and new clutch just fitted. should i be concerned about the mileage on one of these cars

cheers wayne

i seen a rolling road printout last week at midland vw of a passat 130tdi running standard apart from a 2.0tdi 170hp turbo and a remap by them and it was making 196bhp....... i think thats my next mod... apparantly to look at the passat is totally standard and not the cleanist but goes like stink...

unless there rollers are 20bhp in favour obviously

Thats a high mileage for this engine as they suffer more than a tdi.Still the fsh is good but I would hope that the pick up pipe has been replaced or cleaned which was what we did on my sons S3 recently

i seen a rolling road printout last week at midland vw of a passat 130tdi running standard apart from a 2.0tdi 170hp turbo and a remap by them and it was making 196bhp....... i think thats my next mod... apparantly to look at the passat is totally standard and not the cleanist but goes like stink...

unless there rollers are 20bhp in favour obviously
Heard about that one, it belongs to a mod on uk passats, however i think it's a touch over estimated as the BV43 turbo is maxed out at 210 Bhp with 16 valves head on the 2.0 Tdi 170 Bhp even with the DPF removed. I had a b5 AHH engined 90 Bhp audi a4 which ran over 200 Bhp with bolt on mods: ported head, lowered compression, PD150 head bolts, forged rods, 11mm pump, race 520 injectors and a brand new BV43 all on stock 90 Bhp map ! The pd 130 has a stronger bottom end and the injectors can flow a little more but 200 Bhp on stock hardware is pushing it a little unless it's running excessive duration and PCP/EGT are sky high !

i totally agree and also had to eat humble pie when they showed me the printout and the graph was very nice power curve indeed....

What was the correction factor ? You can make a computer show pretty much everything !

i didnt take to much notice tbh adamss24 just was blown away with the figures tbh...

I was always not happy with the mpg from my quattro 130 tdi, did about 43-44 mpg norrmal use, i personally wouldn't get a quattro if i was to get another a4, I also found it not that great in the snow which you would find strange , My old mk4 gt tdi golf was far better.
If you do go for a 1.8t , oil pump issues spring to mind, just make sure its well looked after and drives well.

Karl's passat with the BV43 turbo also has a big front mount intercooler and a decat/straight through exhaust. There's no way it would've made those numbers without those mods. No correction factor fiddling involved, thats not how i roll!

karl-finalV2-1.jpg

Last edited: