Audi A4 2.0 TDi 170bhp avant quattro oil pressure

Sarah_Georgey

Reaction score
I've got a 56 plate 2.0 TDi Avant Quattro.

On Friday 13th (TYPICAL!) a lorry pulled out on me. To avoid him clipping my rear wing I put my foot down which threw up my oil min light. 30-40s later the red oil pressure light came on and kept beeping. I reduced speed, and pulled in to a nearby business park. Checked oil - it was on min but there was oil in in. Tried starting her and she started but when I drove 5-10mph the oil pressure light came back on. Pulled in to another car park and my neighbour dropped me some oil so filled her up, started her up - no lights :yahoo: pulled out of the space and stalled, maybe I didn't give it enough?
Tried again - got a whole car length out of the space and she died (stalled)

When I got her home, she turned over by hand so started her again - no lights - revved and she stalled, bring up the oil pressure light and a fault code P0401 (intermittently illuminated prior to this "episode")

I don't understand why she's cutting out after putting oil in :help:

The infamous planned obsolescence 2.0 tdi balancer shaft oil pump drive and it's inadequate oil pressure warning system .

Do not drive !

Reactions: AvantMike
I've not driven it, I got towed home - is there a way to be sure that it is the balancer shaft without dropping the subframe and sump?

Going to replace the oil level sensor first and pray it works :greedy dollars:

I was only asking as I am not sure if the balancer shaft has been done on mine and I hadn't found any examples much over 100k so assumed I was in the clear as I know the previous owner looked after it.

However I am on 130k so let us know how you get on!

I'll keep you updated - mine has been well looked after full Audi service history and it had the extended warranty until 2 years ago. It's had loads of works previously done "just in case" because everything was covered by the extended warranty but it got to the point that the extended warranty cost more than the car ...hindsight!

Removing the EGR Vv tonight and OH is taking to work tomorrow to give it a clean up which should hopefully sort the EGR fault code then "just" the oil pressure to sort

Reactions: AvantMike
UPDATE
Old EGR Vv was ********! Just fitted a new one and no more cutting out, EGR fault code gone. YAY!!
Replaced the oil pressure switch but still got the oil pressure warning so not looking good for the oil pump/hex drive. I got a quote for the mod...…£2250 without recovery to the garage :crying:

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I may be able to get it done cheaper?
I think his is above my mechanical know how to give it a whirl.

I love my car and don't want to scrap her but for a car that's worth £3k(ish) I can't justify £2250 for the mod.

Team BRD

My oil pump drive packed in and took the turbo with it. As I am keeping my B7 long term I opted to have it all fixed. Otherwise it is a costly fix and you have to weigh up your options vs the value of the car

Team BRD

My oil pump drive packed in and took the turbo with it. As I am keeping my B7 long term I opted to have it all fixed. Otherwise it is a costly fix and you have to weigh up your options vs the value of the car

Trying to weigh it all up - my friend has recently had the mod done on a 55 plate. After mod it was running fine but when he was driving home on the M25 the engine seized so it's been recovered back to the garage.
It's going in to Audi for diagnostics on Tuesday only after this will have all the info and associated cost.

Thanks for that link :thumbs up:

Team BRD

Hi Andy out of interest how much did yours cost to have fixed? Mine has done the same and taken the turbo with it. It’s also a BRD.