Audi A4 2018 (B9) MMI Reboot Problem (screen reboots while driving randomly)

stackiavelli

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with my Audi 2018 A4.

Problem description: Audi MMI system will randomly reboot itself a few minutes (2-3 usually, sometimes longer) into starting the vehicle and driving. The MMI system and the virtual cockpit screen will both go black, audio that is playing (radio/Bluetooth/etc) will abruptly stop, and within 5-10 seconds the screen will light back up with the start-up screen. Within a minute or so the MMI system will connect back to the phone. This may or may not happen again within 5-10 minutes. The problem does appear to happen more frequently in the first 5 minutes of driving. It also seems to happen more frequently in colder months. I raised the issue with Audi on multiple occasions.

I managed to catch it on my phone a few times: here is a dropbox link with the videos of the MMI rebooting mid-driving.
Please watch: VIDEO: Audi A4 2019 MMI Reboot Problem caught on camera.

I dropped the car off at Audi yesterday. Today, the Audi service rep said " Audi is referring us to a technical bulletin... that states that the screen can go blank and restart and/or freeze and then restart afterward and it happens because there is corrupt data in the phone. It basically says that we cannot do anything about it, we are not allowed to replace any of the components and the phone has to be unpair, disconnected, and deleted from the car and then the apps checked and then repaired. " - Service advisor from Audi Dealership in London, Ontario, Canada, today.

I find this hard to believe, I don't see how corrupt data on my phone (iPhone XS Max ) would find its way to the MMI system (unless its contact info like names, numbers, etc) and cause a reboot issue. That being said, I will be unpairing/deleting my phone from the Audi MMI and then factory resetting the MMI. Then I will monitor the vehicle during drives to see if the issue persists. This seems like one of those things where the manufacturer is trying to defer liability onto the owner in order to not have to deal with a technical issue and wait out the warranty period. I could be wrong... will update the forum later. :pride:

QUOTE REPLY

Try android handset, pixel or the like see if issue repeats

Hi There

I have had the same issue time to time, It was always at the exact same point in the road 5mins after setting off. My friend who has a 19 plate Skoda Karoq also has exactly the same issue (probably similar software within the unit)

We both noticed it seems to be related to when the phone is physically plugged in, it never happens when the phone isn't plugged in - so it must be some kind of software bug once all units in the car are fully up and running after setting off.

Android or IOS?

What about when linked wirelessly?

I've been having a problem with my Audi 2018 A4.

Problem description: Audi MMI system will randomly reboot itself a few minutes (2-3 usually, sometimes longer) into starting the vehicle and driving. The MMI system and the virtual cockpit screen will both go black, audio that is playing (radio/Bluetooth/etc) will abruptly stop, and within 5-10 seconds the screen will light back up with the start-up screen. Within a minute or so the MMI system will connect back to the phone. This may or may not happen again within 5-10 minutes. The problem does appear to happen more frequently in the first 5 minutes of driving. It also seems to happen more frequently in colder months. I raised the issue with Audi on multiple occasions.

I managed to catch it on my phone a few times: here is a dropbox link with the videos of the MMI rebooting mid-driving.
Please watch: VIDEO: Audi A4 2019 MMI Reboot Problem caught on camera.

I dropped the car off at Audi yesterday. Today, the Audi service rep said " Audi is referring us to a technical bulletin... that states that the screen can go blank and restart and/or freeze and then restart afterward and it happens because there is corrupt data in the phone. It basically says that we cannot do anything about it, we are not allowed to replace any of the components and the phone has to be unpair, disconnected, and deleted from the car and then the apps checked and then repaired. " - Service advisor from Audi Dealership in London, Ontario, Canada, today.

I find this hard to believe, I don't see how corrupt data on my phone (iPhone XS Max ) would find its way to the MMI system (unless its contact info like names, numbers, etc) and cause a reboot issue. That being said, I will be unpairing/deleting my phone from the Audi MMI and then factory resetting the MMI. Then I will monitor the vehicle during drives to see if the issue persists. This seems like one of those things where the manufacturer is trying to defer liability onto the owner in order to not have to deal with a technical issue and wait out the warranty period. I could be wrong... will update the forum later. :pride:

QUOTE REPLY
My A4 2016 does the same thing every now and again, sometimes the screen will just go blank but the radio or music will continue to play as normal, you have to restart the engine for the system to complete a reboot cycle to sort it out, all very weird.

Hi

Not sure if you are aware, but you can reboot the system by pushing both rocker switches forward, and pressing down the middle button. This is normally enough for most of glitches I face

I just got a 2018 A4. I’m having the same issue even when the device is not plugged in. Has anyone had the issue even via Bluetooth? How’d anyone get this fixed?