Audi A4 avant front subframe compatibility

Boabee

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been told by the garage my 2003 Audi A4 tdi avant requires a new front subframe fitted for it to pass it's mot. The exact required part number of the subframe seems to be "8e039931" for the B6 model. I currently have a front subframe with the party number "8D039931". Does anyone know if this part will fit my car and save me having to buy another one. They look very similar but the "8D039931" model has extra parts in the middle of the arms.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert

just did an image Search and looks like mounting points are the same! 8D is showing a subframe from a passat, which should fit the A4 B6. But I'm not 100% sure. I'm just guessing.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I thought they both looked very similar. I'm just not completely sure it will be the same dimensions, but with the added middle parts on the arms.

No problem! Happy to help! soon as I saw it I understood what you were talking about. I think they're there just for added strength.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I had to replace my one on my b6 got one off eblag ( second hand ) when it arrived it said b7 on it called TPS & they said it will fit, they were right.

B6 Quattro manual 2001 - 2003 will run a B5-type subframe.
B6 Quattro manual 2003 - 2005 will run a B7-type subframe.

If your B6 has traditional side-mounted transmission brackets, you can use a B5 2.4 / 2.8 or S4 manual subframe.
If your B6 has a single transverse cradle to support the transmission, you’ll need the B6 2003 onwards subframe.

Where did you get that info @Nollywood ?
Is it accurate? As I have to replace the subframe on my Audi A4 3.0L V6 Quattro (2001)

From experience.

I replaced a rusty subframe on a 2002 B6 3.0 Quattro, with one from a B5 2.8 01A. Direct fit, no modification required.

Reactions: Fridge
From experience.

I replaced a rusty subframe on a 2002 B6 3.0 Quattro, with one from a B5 2.8 01A. Direct fit, no modification required.

That's interesting, and worrying, as I've been given the part number 8e0 399 313 BD which appears to be from a later car. My car is a saloon, but I cannot see there being much, if any, of a difference. Hopefully my original subframe may still have a part number attached to it.

Thanks for your prompt response @Nollywood.

There's normally a white sticker with the part number stuck on the underside, you may be able to see it but you may have to remove the belly pan.

Reactions: Fridge
I have Audi Quattro avant sport 1.9 Tdi b6 I am having a problem with the subframe has rotted out. It's a 2004 the number on my subframe is (8E0399313BA) I have been told That the subframe Number 8E0399313BD will fit I am unsure can anyone offer any advice.

@Nollywood could you offer some advice on swapping out front subframes please. Was under the car this weekend and found a hole in part of the subframe so imagine it will need to be replaced before long. If you can offer any helpful tips or advice on removing and installing that would be greatly appreciated.

@Nollywood could you offer some advice on swapping out front subframes please. Was under the car this weekend and found a hole in part of the subframe so imagine it will need to be replaced before long. If you can offer any helpful tips or advice on removing and installing that would be greatly appreciated.

What model and year is your car:

- Diesel or petrol?
- Auto or manual?
- FWD or quattro?

I did this job in May on my A4 avant i did a video on it i explain in the video the bolt you have to remove i hope it helps you if you require any more info feel free to ask about hr to drop it out and about hr to put it back in I lost the footage of me putting it back in as it was raining quit hard

Reactions: Venomuk
I have just had my front subframe replaced on my 2004 A4 1.9tdi quattro manual because of rot and mot failure, I managed to get a decent one online by giving my vin, the part number is
8E0 399 313 BD and has B7 on the sticker, my car has an AVF engine and fitted perfectly, hope this helps. My car was a saloon but can't see why there would be any difference to a avant, it's just the back one that's falling to bits now !!!!

Last edited:
Yeah b7 fits fine av just done my back in June and my car is a 2004 b6

Reactions: Venomuk
Did you change the back one yourself ? and if you did was it a nightmare!!!!, Mines a Quattro btw

Did the front one mate the back one was ok for MOT but my Freind and me are mechanics and he said if it was back subframe I might as well scrap it and buy another motor.

Well the I'm having my back subframe cleaned up now as we speak at the garage, they are cleaning it up and waxoiling it, it was also an advisory on the mot and I didn't fancy lying on my back underneath it.

Don't blame you mate it was a hard enough job for two of us to do the front of my one in summer.

Don't blame you mate it was a hard enough job for two of us to do the front of my one in summer.
Is the rear subframe harder to do than the front then? Mine is a FWD 1.9 PD. I had an advisory last year on the rear but I couldn't see anything that indicated what they tester was looking at. However, I was under the front the other day as I'm replacing the wings and the front subframe has a big hole in it towards the back where the lower control arm attaches. I'm thinking that perhaps this is what the tester was referring too? Either way, I'm going to replace it as it doesn't look great. If it passes the MOT at the end of the month I'll be surprised..

Do the subframes differ from petrol to diesel? Just failed MOT for this reason as suspected and now on the hunt for a subframe? Can find good examples out there but one I'm looking at local to me is from a B7 (which is fine) but its a 2.0TFSI. It looks the same but can anyone confirm they are the same or do the subframes differ from petrol and diesel?

Well the I'm having my back subframe cleaned up now as we speak at the garage, they are cleaning it up and waxoiling it, it was also an advisory on the mot and I didn't fancy lying on my back underneath it.
Would you say the rear is easier or about the same as the front? I’ve found some corrosion around the springs where they meet the chassis body. Wondering if it’s too far gone or if to drop the rear subframe and axle and have a clean up.

Tbf there both a pain in the *** to do mate. Can be done if you have the patience to do it. The back is a little harder

Tbf there both a pain in the *** to do mate. Can be done if you have the patience to do it. The back is a little harder
How so, what should I look out for or expect to come across in ways of complications?

My 2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi (manual) has failed the MOT due to front subframe corroded and seriously weakened. I bought a replacement online from a breakers who assured me the part would fit my vehicle (I gave them my reg). When the part arrived I took it to my garage and they immediately said it wasn't the same as the one on my Audi. Attached are photos of the extra brackets the replacement part has. The garage said they could try and fit it but would charge me 3 hours labour.

The breakers yard are insisting it is the correct part, but will not pay for 3 hours labour if it doesn't fit. Any help would be appreciated!

The rear subframe is corroded and the garage said it will probably fail on that in a years time. I am thinking it's prob not worth all this effort although I LOVE the car.

Attachments

• b829c96e-9cc4-40de-971a-d13057fef9e3.jpg
    b829c96e-9cc4-40de-971a-d13057fef9e3.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 38
  • 5dfcf9a5-f9bb-4e6b-9e62-35d7356add5b.jpg
    5dfcf9a5-f9bb-4e6b-9e62-35d7356add5b.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 42