Audi A4 B5, 2.4 V6 manual, 105k - 2000/X - Oil Leaks

cb123

Reaction score
First post to the forum, hope someone can help. I've just bought the above car as an MOT failure, only needed brakes, 2 ball joints and tyres doing. It had an oil leak which the seller assured me was from the oil filter and sump plug - which were dripping. However getting it home and having a good look I noticed more oil leaking from the back of the engine, just below where the air intake and breather system meet up and enter the engine. I suspect it has other leaks too as there is masses of oil caked all over the place. Are there any common places it could be leaking from? Also could these leaks be caused by the breather system being blocked increasing pressure in the engine? I don't have much knowledge of these cars, and my mechcanical experience isn't must above servicing, brakes etc so any advice on how to solve these issues would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

V6 Prone to breather pipes blocked and brittle, but I changed both rocker cover gaskets on my 2.4 and a new oil cap and no oil leaks for now.

V6 Prone to breather pipes blocked and brittle, but I changed both rocker cover gaskets on my 2.4 and a new oil cap and no oil leaks for now.
Thanks for that. Just wondered why the oil cap?

just me, Its at an angle and always seemed to have a dribble by the outer ring.
So thought i would change it in case it was loose, only £3 and fine now so who knows?

That would make sense, will give it a try. One last thing, is there a Haynes or similar manual that would cover this engine?, the manual I have doesn't cover the V6.

I think the only manual with it in would be the ones by Bentley I was looking for one as I have a 2.8 30v quattro and a fwd 2.4 30v but the manuals are expensive so gave up

Thanks for the links. The page on oil leaks was very useful, I also followed a link from it to the page on the breather system, they sell a kit to replace the lot by the look of it - but it's a US site. I found a kit available on ebay UK which seems to have most of the parts: AUDI A4 B5 A6 C5 VW PASSAT 2.4 2.8 V6 ENGINE CRANKCASE BREATHER VENT HOSE PIPE | eBay but there seem to be a few bits missing compared to the US version here : Audi A6 Breather Hose - Audi A6 Crankcase Breather Hoses Kit Question is are these extra parts not nessecary, or are they US specific? Just thought if I'm going to replace the breather system I might as well do the lot - so if I order the one off ebay what else would I need to order seperately to make up the full kit?