Audi A4 B5 estate Rear shocks and coils replacement

Johnjones

Reaction score
Hi, I need to change the rear coils and shocks on a B5. The car seems a bit too firm without much travel in the suspension so i think it might be a bit worn out and one of the shocks has oil leaking from it. Is this an easy job to replace them and do you have any tips or guides for this? I'd like to put the softest coils and shocks in as possible for a comfy cruiser...any suggestions where to go for them? Many thanks!

They are easy to do, but you have to remove the rear interior panels so you can access the bolts holding the shocks in place. There are only 3 bolts you need to remove 2 at the top behind the trim panels and one at the bottom. I would look to replace the bottom bolt & nut as it would be very rusty state.

I've got a pair of standard SACHS springs, you can have for £30 + postage, they have been on the car for just over 6 months, I only replaced as I have just fitted a full set of eibach sports springs. I also got a brand new SACHS standard front springs for sale

Watch out for the alloy bolts that hold the top mount in place. Can be very soft.
Sheared 2 of mine when re-tightening, as they seem to be a soft alloy metal

Hiya!
Thanks for the message. Would they fit with standard gsf shocks if i get some of those? Do i need to compress them down to fit them? Many thanks

Hiya!
Thanks for the message. Would they fit with standard gsf shocks if i get some of those? Do i need to compress them down to fit them? Many thanks

Yes they would fit as they are standard springs, you would need spring compressors to fit front & rear springs (unless your going for a slammed look)