Audi A4 B8 2.0Tdi Exhaust Gas Temp sensor problem.

aaron.ivory.31

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I tried searching online endless amount of nights and can't seem to find any info. I have a 2010 a4 B8 2.0TDi CAGB engine code 136bhp. I have a fault Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. So far online I found out that there are 3 EGT sensors on the exhaust but what I can't find is which one is sensor 1? Closest to the turbo of furthest away? Part numbers etc. any info would be great! Thanks

Sensor 1 is the one closest to the turbo and is mounted in the turbo itself measures EGT going into the turbo. Sensor 2 is the one before the cat/DPF and sensor 3 post DPF.
Item 26 in the parts listing.

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-...pressure-difference-sender-control-unit-with/

Part number appears to be 03L906088A or 03L906088AQ

To prove the sensor find the one you think it is and unplug it, you shouldn't get any more faults generated than you had before.

Karl.

Reactions: Gaz170
I might have a brand new one of these in garage will check and add
Part number later

Reactions: Gaz170
Sensor 1 is the one closest to the turbo and is mounted in the turbo itself measures EGT going into the turbo. Sensor 2 is the one before the cat/DPF and sensor 3 post DPF.
Item 26 in the parts listing.

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-...pressure-difference-sender-control-unit-with/

Part number appears to be 03L906088A or 03L906088AQ

To prove the sensor find the one you think it is and unplug it, you shouldn't get any more faults generated than you had before.

Karl.

That's great! Nice info. It's been bugging me for weeks, audi won't help me out unless they do the job. Is it in a awkward place to change? Thanks, Aaron

@aaron.ivory.31

Part number for exhaust gas señor I have that Is brand new is 03L906088DT

There's so many part numbers for the sensors I just not 100% sure which one is the correct one. Can anyone shine a light? Had a look early at the location it don't seem to bad to remove, can't really see where the wire runs to and where it's plugged in tho.

I mentioned some part numbers above 03L906088A and AQ. Best to look at the sensor and the connector to see what it
physically looks like.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Turbo...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c415a190f

If you have identified it's location just follow the wire to the plug.The plug seems to be located onder the turbo just in front of the starter motor.

Upload 2015 1 8 15 8 12

Upload 2015 1 8 15 9 3

Upload 2015 1 8 15 9 41

Karl.

Reactions: aaron.ivory.31 and ruairi83
That's a massive help! Thanks a million Karl, I'll get on it tomrrow!

Aaron

There's so many part numbers for the sensors I just not 100% sure which one is the correct one. Can anyone shine a light? Had a look early at the location it don't seem to bad to remove, can't really see where the wire runs to and where it's plugged in tho.

Karl's the guy to help. Was bought in error by bro And couldn't be Taken back. If someone needs this one £50 posted...

Reactions: aaron.ivory.31
Karl do you know the difference here, same part numbers but one has a 90deg bend and the other is straight? Which one do you think I'd need?

Thank, Aaron.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420735980186581

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420736053440952

Must be the 03L 906 088AQ one that I need as I can see it been a 90Deg bend going into the location that it is, but can you confirm. Thanks

Thats why I said you need to have a look at what is actually fitted on the car. Those 2 EGT sensors would both physically fit but they work on 2 different principes.
The one with the 90 degree bend in it and brown plug is a platinum resistance type and the part ending in q with a much thinner probe is a thermocouple type sensor.
If yours has the 90 degree bend in it and the brown plug then it's pretty likely to be the first one linked to.
Looking on my version of ETKA which is a few years old and only just covers that model

Upload 2015 1 8 17 25 53

There was a change in part number related to the chassis number, as detailed above.

Karl.

Forgot to add with the above process
Upload 2015 1 8 18 5 25

This is the oil feed for the turbo and sometimes the nut and pipe stick together which means it's possible to twist the end off the pipe, and people do that occasionally. If you have to undo this be careful to make sure the nut is not twisting the pipe around. Just be careful.

Ok I will have to take a closer look tomorrow and make sure of the plug colour. Perfect I will, that would be a pain to happen I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks very much for your help. Would of been lost without you.

Thanks,
Aaron

Ok all, just a update. The fault would come on the dash and after resetting it would come back up after 4 to 5 days and repeat itself. Rang audi and they where lucky enough to tell me the part number I needed from my vin code which was 03L 906 088A.After sourcing the correct part with the part number on it. I removed the old one. (Took me hours and hardship) and after removing it, it's was slightly different, this one on the probe had like hollow holes in it and the replacement didnt. Plugs and loom are correct Lenght and same plugs. My question is it worth putting and all back together as if I have to change it agin it's anther 4 hours stripping down agin! Is this part a new edition one or remade? Anyone shine light before I put it back together?

Thanks

There are basically two types of EGT sensors the VAG use as far as I know. The K type thermocouple which tend to be quite thin like the one you pictured above with the AQ part number and the platinum resistance 200 ohm type which is the one pictured above with the A designation.
If you had VAG-COM you could connect it turn the ignition on and see if the fault cleared, if you connect a thermocouple type to what should be a resistance type that may not clear the error, also you could look in the measuring blocks and see what temperautre it is reporting.
I have some 200 ohm types from my tatting with the Passat on which I had a BV43 turbo.
This is a platinum 200 ohm type,
IMG 3115

If you look at the shank where the part numbers are you can see the 200 ohm designation

IMG 3117

These read 200 ohm at 0 degrees c on a multimeter and about 215 at 20 degrees c .
If your old one has the same marking on as above and you have a multimeter check the resistance of it and it should be around 210-215 ohms at room temp.

Karl.

Hi Karl,
Here's the one I removed, the part no is 03L 906 088 BT. I installed 03L 906 088Q and seems to be no problems or engine lights yet (touch wood). When I bough the car from a dealer he replaced the clutch and flywheel kit. When I was arriving to pick the car up he said the mechainics had damaged an exhaust sensor have a spare one to replace. Is there a possibility this is the sensor he replaced the broken one with? Any way I checked the resistance at room temp and its at 214ohms which seems
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421255935515378
good as you said.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421255912650333

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421255970167350
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421255990852549
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421256006337131

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421256026322949

Just from a quick search online 03L 906 088 BT seems to be for the CAH engine code 170bhp? Is that correct Karl?

That seems to be specified for the CAHA, CAHB engine. I find it hard to see how they could have damaged that given where it sits but who knows. If the code has cleared then it's looking good. I take it the one you removed was open circuit or high resistance.

Karl.

Yea It's kind of out of the way alright. The 03L 906 088 BT as pictured above was removed. Resistance is 214 ohm so it seems ok? We shall see in the up coming days hopefully all lights will stay off!
Thanks for the help. Appreciate it,

Aaron.

Can Anyone tell me where sensor 4 is bank 1??
Thanks in advance

Sensor 4 will probably be the last one of the exhaust sensors. What engine is it ?.
Typically sensor 1 is pre turbo , sensor 2 is post turbo pre cat, sensor 3 post cat pre dpf , sensor 4 post dpf. The higher the number the further it is from the engine.

Afternoon Desert,
Those removal processes with diagrams are extremely helpful, I don't suppose you would have something similar for the DPF removal on a A4 B8 quattro?
Cheers,

I mentioned some part numbers above 03L906088A and AQ. Best to look at the sensor and the connector to see what it
physically looks like.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Turbo...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c415a190f

If you have identified it's location just follow the wire to the plug.The plug seems to be located onder the turbo just in front of the starter motor.

View attachment 47736
View attachment 47737
View attachment 47738

Karl.