Audi A4 retrofit DRL's

Pops848

Reaction score
So my car came with some DRL grill surrounds, I'm missing a grill so tempted to fit them
Interested on peoples opinion on them?

Attachments

• IMG_3288.PNG
    IMG_3288.PNG
    467.6 KB · Views: 335
Hey man..
Go for it.. They are amazing.. I have those for just over a year and they not only look cool and make the car modern, it also makes it kinda unique because you don't see it on a b6 every day..
Or people just buy the LED strip to glue them on which in my opinion it's just awful.
Plus these are very very bright.
When I bought it they were £54, don't know if it was a promotion or something but i know someone asked me about it a month after I had mine on and they were already over 100 and have been since then..
I vote yes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pops848
Thanks Semodo,

I guess easy to fit? I have fog lights so hopefully can keep those still

Did you splice it into th sidelight wiring?

Thanks Semodo,

I guess easy to fit? I have fog lights so hopefully can keep those still

Did you splice it into th sidelight wiring?
Direct replacement..
And no.. It's wired to the ignition.. That way is always on like the modern cars.
You still keep your fogs and don't need to have the side light on for them to work..

I think DRL's have to switch off once the headlight are on but not 100%.
If they were next to headlight not turn off but dim..
Since they are next to fog lights it's OK to run them on all the time..
And there's an option to wire it to dim when you turn the headlights on. I decided not to..

First. They're cooler than just fogs.
Second.. Just because police don't even bother with them it's illegal to run fogs unless. It's foggy.
Third. It gives the car a nicer, newer look..

Thanks for all the replies,
Had a look on the Gov website and found this;
It basically says DRL's must come on when engine is on, and go off / dim when headlights are turned on. It's all to stop dazzling people etc. I'm sure police won't be bothered 99% of the time but I've got xenons anyway, so if i fit them I'll turn on the dimming option.
I read in some places you need to substitute DRL's for sidelights, but don't think that's the case for the UK

General requirements Legislation and requirements: Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011. In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely. Similar requirements will apply to large vehicles (such as HGVs) and buses from 7 August 2012. Motorcycles do not currently require DRL to be fitted, but most manufacturers voluntarily opt for an AHO (Automatic Headlight On) system to be installed as an alternative. Changes to European legislation will, in future permit manufacturers to fit DRL on their motorcycles. DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL. DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL. Retro fitting DRL There is no requirement to retro fit DRL on vehicles not fitted with them as standard. If you decide to retro fit DRL you should ensure they have been approved to the correct European legislation. This can be confirmed by checking that the approval mark embossed on the lamp contains the letters "RL", see figure 1 below. Ideally retro fitted DRL should be installed such that they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions.

Reactions: Welshquattro
Thanks for all the replies,
Had a look on the Gov website and found this;
It basically says DRL's must come on when engine is on, and go off / dim when headlights are turned on. It's all to stop dazzling people etc. I'm sure police won't be bothered 99% of the time but I've got xenons anyway, so if i fit them I'll turn on the dimming option.
I read in some places you need to substitute DRL's for sidelights, but don't think that's the case for the UK
Yes that's why the ones fit to new cars don't come on at night. I have ask my cousin who's a traffic officer what he thought and he said they would stop someone if they was using them at night as its a hazzard to other road users. He also said they are called "DRL's" with the D standing for DAYTIME not ALL THE TIME. I did show him semedos first pic on here and he said that the DRL's are brighter than his dipped headlights and would illegal to use at night. He did point out its up to the office what to do as the law on them isn't clear at the moment and most would ask you to switch them off like they do with fog lights or give you a fine

Being really pedantic here...

Yes that's why the ones fit to new cars don't come on at night.

They do come on at night, it's just when you switch on your headlights they go off or dim :whistle2:

I hear ya though, each to their own. Some people tint their front windows beyond legal limit, end of the day is up to them I guess, worth the risk or not.
However, this has been useful for me as I need a new front grill, and now I've decided not to bother buying one! I'll just fit the DRL's instead :)

Reactions: Welshquattro
Haha, well I guess most people would use their headlight at night. I do like DRL's and have them on my daily driver and have looked at getting them for the Audi. I would say DRL's are brighter than fog lights and as using fog lights is illegal to use unless it's foggy as it dazzles other drivers then what do people think DRL's are going to do. If I fit them to my Audi I'll get the switching kit aswell.

I'm slightly baffled why it took until 08 for the government to implement this anyway, and only as of 2011, it's been compulsory on motorbikes since 02!

Fog lights aren't dazzling during the day, but at night they can be. So yeah, DRL's are going to do the same thing, that's the aftermarket for you though, people will always try and make a few bob. I wouldn't go out and buy a set normally, but as they came with the car I'll fit them. Selling them I'd probably only get £50, I'd prefer to fit them for the fun of it. For £110 I can think of better things to buy for my car!
I also got one of those flashy light kits that make you look like police, however I think that will be staying off the car for obvious reasons! (I would totally get annoyed at the car in front and turn them on haha).

I've had my light on since October last year and even driving at night with them on and being pulled over twice the light were never mentioned..
I understand it might be dazzling to oncoming traffic but I chose to put them next to the fog lights thinking of it.
I don't think and people I know that were driving on the other side of the road also said even tho they are bright they don't dazzle that much.
And for newer cars not having the light on at night I don't think this is an accurate affirmation..
My boss and a friend of mine lights are on when they start the car, at night.
I figured since they ate lower down it won't be much of a bother for other divers..
And my lights aren't brighter than my dipped.
Those are just the side lights.

TBH its one of them grey areas of the law like HID lights. Like Pops above I wouldn't spend £110 on them. I would just have my sidelights on which is cheaper.lol And in my earlier post i ment to say at night when lights are on.

Right.. I understand..
I used to run with my sidelight on. Until I got these.. And like I said before when I bought these they cost me £54..
And the kit comes with the possibility to wire it to dim with headlights on.

Hey man..
Go for it.. They are amazing.. I have those for just over a year and they not only look cool and make the car modern, it also makes it kinda unique because you don't see it on a b6 every day..
Or people just buy the LED strip to glue them on which in my opinion it's just awful.
Plus these are very very bright.
When I bought it they were £54, don't know if it was a promotion or something but i know someone asked me about it a month after I had mine on and they were already over 100 and have been since then..
I vote yes.

Going to attempt fitting these today, my idea is going to be switch them into the headlights so I can run full brightness DRL's and sidelights, then when the main beam comes on the DRL's go off. Keeps the MOT tester happy at least!

One question though, where did you get a switched live from? I don't particularly want to pass wires into the cabin, I'd sooner keep it all under the bonnet. Any hints how you wired yours up Semedo?

Going to attempt fitting these today, my idea is going to be switch them into the headlights so I can run full brightness DRL's and sidelights, then when the main beam comes on the DRL's go off. Keeps the MOT tester happy at least!

One question though, where did you get a switched live from? I don't particularly want to pass wires into the cabin, I'd sooner keep it all under the bonnet. Any hints how you wired yours up Semedo?
Hey man.. Good to know you're doing this..
When I got these on I had the car for a month.. And being my first audi I had no clue how to do things and had my mechanic doing it for me..
Has for the MOT it won't be a problem because I've taken the car to get tested twice and the lights were never mentioned even when the beams were on..
But I can assure you that there's no wires running through the cabin.. They're all under the bonnet because I asked him to wire it to ignition..
So every time I turn the key they come on.
He must've wired it to something that is on when you turn the key..
I can try and trace it an let you know to give you a clue..
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help but I'll want to know how you done this and see some pictures of it working..

The fuse is 5amp and the live feed its from the plug behind the headlight (BTW, if you could tell me what plug this is because I thought it was headlight plug, then to realize it wasn't.)
The first wire is connected on both fog lights covers and it goes up the passenger side..
Hope this comes in handy for you.

Thanks for your time mate, looks like I'm out of luck though. The DRL kit I have is for a saloon, mine is a cab so the grills are different sizes, massive shame! I don't think they make DRL's for the cab, the only ones I've seen are integrated into the headlight and it's halogen only, I have xenons and want to keep them :-(

Yeah.. I saw the cab and they are really different..
What if you took the lights of the grill you bought and cut your fog grills and create your own DRL fog grills..
If they don't make it for cab you'd have a one of a kind mod..
I'd recommend buying from a scrap yard in case you mess it up you don't end up having no grills at all..
Give it a thought..

Thanks for your time mate, looks like I'm out of luck though. The DRL kit I have is for a saloon, mine is a cab so the grills are different sizes, massive shame! I don't think they make DRL's for the cab, the only ones I've seen are integrated into the headlight and it's halogen only, I have xenons and want to keep them :-(
How much do you want for them?

How much do you want for them?

Tempted to try and get them to fit into standard cab grilles, but if you want them then they're advertised in classifieds at the moment for £85

Yeah.. I saw the cab and they are really different..
What if you took the lights of the grill you bought and cut your fog grills and create your own DRL fog grills..
If they don't make it for cab you'd have a one of a kind mod..
I'd recommend buying from a scrap yard in case you mess it up you don't end up having no grills at all..
Give it a thought..

Not a bad idea, just had a quick measure and the LED's fit into the gaps in the standard grille, question is about cutting the grill and mounting them in at the right angle and securely. Could be done though I think with a little fettling

Not a bad idea, just had a quick measure and the LED's fit into the gaps in the standard grille, question is about cutting the grill and mounting them in at the right angle and securely. Could be done though I think with a little fettling
I think you can.. Only need to cut a millimeter or so smaller so they fit snuggly..
And you can put them more towards to outside of the car instead of mine a bit toward the centre.. But still love it tho..

If anyone's interested probably going to sell these DRL's

RRP £110
I'll take £85 inc shipping

Last edited:
Shame you can't fit them..
They look proper..
Good luck selling them..

Yeah it is really. I wouldn't mind DRL's but it seems mad to cut these up to then only fit the DRL LED strip. Might buy some more in the future but for the meantime I'm going to concentrate on the interior of the car I think :)

Yeah it is really. I wouldn't mind DRL's but it seems mad to cut these up to then only fit the DRL LED strip. Might buy some more in the future but for the meantime I'm going to concentrate on the interior of the car I think :)
Still.. I would do it..
Or just to be safe and make sure I wouldn't spoil my grill I'd buy one from the scrap yard and do it..
But yeah..
I'm going a try and sort out my brakes first and don't know what to do after..
Probably gonna do performance mods and Tidy up the bay..