Audi A4 - Tommy Bar? False Floor Lid? Engine Rev Increase at Idle?

777GE90

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought myself a 2014 Audi A4 and I'm liking it a lot, however I have some questions and wondering if you guys can help me out.

1. What is the tommy bar for?
The first thing I noticed, is the model I have doesn't have a spare wheel, instead it has the tyre repair kit. I'm looking to convert this so I have a space saver wheel and found this really good thread here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/space-saver-for-tdie-what-part-numbers-please.176625/ on how to do it. However, I noticed one part is called a "Tommy Bar" and I have no idea what it is for or whether I actually need it. Does anyone know what the Tommy Bar is for? I remember changing the wheel on my old Polo and never had to use such a tool.

2. False Floor Cover, how to keep it up?
The next question I have, when you open up the boot and you lift up the false floor to reveal the space saver wheel area, how do you keep that floor up, as at the moment I'm having to hold it with my hand and have no idea how to keep it up, I noticed there are some sort of hooks on it but I have no idea where to connect them to, you can see them in this picture:
07-All_Done.jpg

3. RPM and Clutch:
My final question is, I noticed something very strange with the revs that my old car didn't do. When I start it up, I press the clutch down fully and the car is usually in gear 1 anyway, after it starts it goes to idle revs at 800-900 rpm as normal, however if I put the gear in neutral and then slowly start letting go of the clutch, I noticed the engine RPM increases, almost like the car is getting the biting point in gear, but it's not since the car is in neutral, then when I release the clutch all the way the RPMs jump to about 1500 rpm and then drop back to 800-900 rpm to idle again as normal. It's really strange and I've never had this in my old car (I'm still a relatively new driver). The only difference is this is a diesel, is this normal?

The hook just catchs to the top of your boot from what I can remember from having on if these.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I had a look at the top but I really can't see anywhere to put it, I'm pretty sure I'm being blind and stupid so if anyone has any pics that could help I would greatly appreciate it :).

It just hooks on to the rubber boot seal

It just hooks on to the rubber boot seal

Thanks so much, I went and checked it again and it turns out the clip thing was fully bent outwards so no wonder why it didn't make sense or work. I gave it a pretty hard push with brute force and it put it back in place and now it works exactly as intended and finally makes sense to me too. One problem solved, 2 to go!

The two hooks that are located underneath parcel shelf. Are hooks for shopping bags, takeaways or even beer. Stops them moving around in the boot.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Yea the shopping hooks are amazing. Keeps my beer upright

Yes I figured out, sorry I'm not great at describing things, I know which clips you are talking about but that's not the ones I meant :). But it's all sorted now anyway.

Just wanted to correct my third problem, the RPM only jumps up more like 50-100 RPM, so it goes from 900 RPM to like 990 RPM for a second. The 1500 RPM is a mistake it doesn't go that high. Does anyone else have this on their A4 Diesel? Is this normal? i.e. if you release your clutch in neutral, does the RPM go up slightly for a second and then back to normal?

Yes I figured out, sorry I'm not great at describing things, I know which clips you are talking about but that's not the ones I meant :). But it's all sorted now anyway.

Just wanted to correct my third problem, the RPM only jumps up more like 50-100 RPM, so it goes from 900 RPM to like 990 RPM for a second. The 1500 RPM is a mistake it doesn't go that high. Does anyone else have this on their A4 Diesel? Is this normal? i.e. if you release your clutch in neutral, does the RPM go up slightly for a second and then back to normal?

I have dsg so can't comment on b8 manuals but my transit van does the same. I think a lot of modern manuals seem to do it, I can only think it's a helping hand to make it more difficult to stall

the rpm issue is not an issue, it's the way it should be. activate the parking break, put the car in neutral and let it idle. slowly release the clutch pedal and you will notice the same thing every time you reach the biting point. if that wouldn't happen, your car would stall or judder when you pulled off. I hope you know that a diesel can easily pull off without pressing the gas pedal and you don't really need hill assist as slowly releasing the clutch will keep the car in place.

Ah ok thanks guys! Thought that might be the case.

I hope you know that a diesel can easily pull off without pressing the gas pedal and you don't really need hill assist as slowly releasing the clutch will keep the car in place.

Really? I must give it a try, my old 1.2 Polo would stall if I did that. I have been giving the Audi gas each time I release the accelerator, but you reckon I don't even have to do that? Will come in very handy in slow moving traffic if I just have to lift the clutch slightly.

Does it put the clutch under extra strain if I don't give it some gas while pulling away (i.e. only using clutch)?

it's not something you want to do very often, as the DMF needs a bit of speed to get "balanced" (not sure this is the correct word), but a 2.0 tdi can easily pull off without accelerating. you might have to release the clutch slower than usual, but it will start moving even if you carry 3 adults and luggage.

Tried it today and you are right, pulls away no problem. But seems to stop accelerating at 5mph and feels like I'm pressing on the brakes after that, but still useful to know in traffic.

Now for my final question, anyone know what the Tommy bar is actually for in the tyre replacement kit?

It stops at 5mph because that's the car's "natural" speed at idle in 1st gear.

It's the plastic threaded bar that's screwed into the wheel stud hole for locating the wheel. See here.

Ahhhh!

Never heard it called that before, I bought the metal version of it from tps and sure it wasn't called a tommy bar?

It's the plastic threaded bar that's screwed into the wheel stud hole for locating the wheel. See here.

Yes you are right, that's the one I am talking about. So this is literally just a guide for putting the wheel on? I guess it's not too important then, just nice to have.