Audi A5 2.0 TDI Misfiring when idle!

HH22

Reaction score
Hi all,

Seen a lot of issues regarding diesels misfiring so I'll try to narrow this down as much as possible.

To begin with the car only vibrated slightly which i thought may be DMF or injectors but wasn't sure so I waited a while.

Eventually the car started misfiring (Which presumably means it can't be DMF) BUT there was no engine management light and/or other errors on the dashboard. The car only idled when in neutral while stationary and still drives and pulls through every gear with no power deficiency.

Took it to an indy and scanned through VCDS. Only code I found that was presumably causing the issue was the following:

P106500: Fuel pressure regulation- control difference (State: active/static)

After seeing a video on youtube with the exact same symptoms and similar engines (2.0 TDI CAGA engine) I purchased a new fuel pressure regulator valve.

Once the part was installed the car still had similar symptoms, we scanned again and the error code was the same (Except state was now passive/abiogenesis?)

So here's where I'm at at the moment and I have the following questions:

1) The fuel regulator valve I had before and after although had different part numbers I was told the new number 'Superseded' the original part number and is the same as the original (Which I believed as the part fitted OK started OK and was working like before) presumably the issue is not with this new fuel pressure regulator valve?

2) What would the next step you guys recommend for me to do? Fuel filter check? Vaccum leaks?

3) When installing a new fuel pressure regulator valve does the car need to be ran for a while until the effects are noticed? If so how many miles would I be looking at running until I know for sure I need to try something else?

4) My friend whos generally pretty good with this sort of thing has suggested I get a fuel pressure pressure relief limiter valve sensor, would this help? (Have no idea whether this will benefit)

For reference this is the video I was on about:

I've got the exact same issue at the moment.

Apologies for making this the length of my coursework but I felt being precise is better than not giving a decent description!

Regards,

Last edited:
Sorry to revive an old thread but did you get this sorted mate?

I've had this problem ongoing for so long now.

First Midland VW reset the fuel metering values - it was sorted for a few weeks
Took it back to be reset again - lasted a day
Took it back to change the Fuel Pressure Regulator - lasted 2 weeks!
Really not sure what to do now!

Bobby - when you say remove the sensor could this be done by someone who is a bit of a noob?
Just want to try and sort it myself before i chuck anymore money at it!

Sorry to revive an old thread but did you get this sorted mate?

I've had this problem ongoing for so long now.

First Midland VW reset the fuel metering values - it was sorted for a few weeks
Took it back to be reset again - lasted a day
Took it back to change the Fuel Pressure Regulator - lasted 2 weeks!
Really not sure what to do now!

Bobby - when you say remove the sensor could this be done by someone who is a bit of a noob?
Just want to try and sort it myself before i chuck anymore money at it!

If your a noob then take it to the garage :)

Hi all,

Seen a lot of issues regarding diesels misfiring so I'll try to narrow this down as much as possible.

To begin with the car only vibrated slightly which i thought may be DMF or injectors but wasn't sure so I waited a while.

Eventually the car started misfiring (Which presumably means it can't be DMF) BUT there was no engine management light and/or other errors on the dashboard. The car only idled when in neutral while stationary and still drives and pulls through every gear with no power deficiency.

Took it to an indy and scanned through VCDS. Only code I found that was presumably causing the issue was the following:

P106500: Fuel pressure regulation- control difference (State: active/static)

After seeing a video on youtube with the exact same symptoms and similar engines (2.0 TDI CAGA engine) I purchased a new fuel pressure regulator valve.

Once the part was installed the car still had similar symptoms, we scanned again and the error code was the same (Except state was now passive/abiogenesis?)

So here's where I'm at at the moment and I have the following questions:

1) The fuel regulator valve I had before and after although had different part numbers I was told the new number 'Superseded' the original part number and is the same as the original (Which I believed as the part fitted OK started OK and was working like before) presumably the issue is not with this new fuel pressure regulator valve?

2) What would the next step you guys recommend for me to do? Fuel filter check? Vaccum leaks?

3) When installing a new fuel pressure regulator valve does the car need to be ran for a while until the effects are noticed? If so how many miles would I be looking at running until I know for sure I need to try something else?

4) My friend whos generally pretty good with this sort of thing has suggested I get a fuel pressure pressure relief limiter valve sensor, would this help? (Have no idea whether this will benefit)

For reference this is the video I was on about:

I've got the exact same issue at the moment.

Apologies for making this the length of my coursework but I felt being precise is better than not giving a decent description!

Regards,

Hi got same problem with my car as the video my car audi a4 b7 2.0 tdi 2006 what was the fix thanks