Audi A5: Camshaft/Crankshaft Issue!

aaronallen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

So I’m having an issue with my Audi A5 TFSI Sport (2010) (2L) (180BHP). 92k on the mileage.

A few weeks back I was driving it all day, parked it up, and then went to drive it again later on and the car wouldn’t start with ease, I then had to hold the fob down and clutch for an additional 3-5 seconds than normal before the car was able to start. The car had lost power, was cutting out in first gear and really struggled. Engine Management light was constantly on.

I had it diagnosed at a mechanics and this error code appeared:

P001600 - Crankshaft Position, Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1, Sensor A

The mechanic didn’t seem too sure what the error could definitely be; the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor or maybe an issue with my timing chain. So I decided to take the car away and do some research as the quotes I was given for a job that wasn’t confirmed to be the issue seemed a bit of a waste if it wasn’t the direct fix.

So after some research I decided to take the camshaft sensor out, take the part code down and order a new OEM part to replace it. I replaced the camshaft…no fix, the car still struggled to turn on, EML was still showing and as the car had now been parked up for 2 weeks it felt even more sluggish naturally. I let it sit to see if anything else would change, nothing.

So back to the drawing board I decide to replace the crankshaft sensor which was in an odd position of its own. I took out the crankshaft sensor, ordered a Delphi Sensor SS11319 as it correlated with the part code, fitted it today, started the car and the same issue occurred, this time with a bit more of a knocking sound from the engine initially before it quietened down.

At this point I’m a bit stuck with what to do, the vehicle is quite old and has a high mileage, I could take it to Audi to do a diagnostic and health check but they’ve advised it’s £160 for the diagnostic then anything else that needs replacing ontop, and with the vehicle already struggling to drive I’m worried of taking it to Audi, being quoted a ridiculous price for the fix and then being stuck trying to either get the vehicle out of there or having to fork out a fortune.

I’m aware this can be quite a common issue for these vehicles with age, but I just wanted to see if anyone has any knowledge, fixes or where to go from here.

I haven’t cleared any of the error codes since replacing both the camshaft and crankshaft sensor as I don’t have the diagnostic tools available , and so could this be affecting the car still believing the issue is present?

I’m just trying to think of all plausible fixes at this point, I’ve attached a photo of the diagnostic code, I have some more images of me replacing both sensors if required. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Aaron

Attachments

• 620C4380-45DF-4D40-811C-06EE7E34A06E.png
    620C4380-45DF-4D40-811C-06EE7E34A06E.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 173
Hiya did you get this sorted? I have a 2010 Audi A3 with the same code. I’ve had the crankshaft sensor replaced - still nothing. My EML is never on however the coil light flashes when I try to start it. Other times it starts and runs fine.
Totally at a loss here

It's good practice to manually clear stored fault codes, even if you have replaced the very thing the fault code references. This is a bit different, but i've done a battery swap on a VW Scirocco as the old one was dead, and yet it would not fire up, only crank. Turns out there was a fault code regarding a low 12V signal stored in the ECU. Once it was cleared with a fault code reader, it fired straight up. I've done multiple Sciroccos and this was the only one to do it, but, none the less, it needed that fault code clearing to properly start. If clearing the fault code doesn't work, trace the wiring, check for the correct voltage going to those sensors using a multimeter, etc.

You can grab basic OBD readers from amazon and use a free OBD app if you don't fancy stealers or garage diagnostic prices. Even if it doesn't solve your issue, it gives you far more power in diagnosing things going forward.