audi a6 2.5 tdi diesel pump problem please \\help\\

jayson rigby

Reaction score
hi al really looking for some professional help [sorry its a long thread]
i recently got my self and audi a6 2.5 tdi year 2000 with a diesel pump problem the car would start run for a round 30 seconds then just make a noise from the pump then cut out so first of all i run a diagnostic check and came up with fault codes ;
these codes to me said disel pump EDC was knackered so rather than do the right thing i decided to buy a diesel pump from ebay at the cost of £235 trying to save money mmm
anyway got the new pump through fitted it to the car and didnt work so back to diagnostic came up with the same fault codes so after scratching my head i then decided to send it to audi they came back with diesel pump does not require coding on this model advise wiring checks as tank pump not supplying fuel to the injection pump so i wasnt convinced it was anything els apart from pump so i got the car sent back before the cost grew decided to start looking at part numbers my origanal pump no was 0470506016 then i looked at the pump no on the one i bought it was 0470506002 different numbers so my first question is could anyone tell me even that the pumps are identical why the pump numbers would make a difference
with the origanal pump fitted i could here the fuel pump priming under the rear back seat the glow plug light would go out and the car would fire up with the new pump fitted i now cant here the fuel pump the glow plug lights up goes out then beeps and then the light flashes it cranks over but does not want to fire up or even think about it now it its like its immobilized so i plugged in the old pump loosly in the engine bay just to see if i could get the pump to activate the fuel pump under the seat and stop the diesel light from flashing even now with that one connected it does the same no fuel pump activating and glow light beeps then starts flashing and this is where im at with it stuck if anyone reads this and has any advise i would be most grateful
thanks jay

Not sure where you are but I can recommend Adamss24 on here he is the 2.5tdi guru and always goes above and beyond when it comes to these. Most people on here that have had any experience of Chris and his work will tell you the same.
He is North East London Area.

hi chris i totally agree iv been following this forum for a while and yes he is the man i really would love a chat with im on the isle of wight so you can imagine im very limited but im totally new to forums and i little unsure how to reach him but i figured as im keeping this car thought i may as well join a forum and become a permanent residence i have my own business with mechanics so hopefully i can help others also but this one has really stumped me

well now deciding to take the donor pump to part to find out why this pump has such an issue i will keep updates for any one who is interested once i learn how to use the forum the edc unit is the part i will be concentrating on from the vp44 pump and allready wondering why these wires have got hot enough to go brittle and were touching
Audi 001
Audi 002

now i have another question should whilst doing a continuity test both wires seem to be connected some how to the part i am holding the pin to as they both are beeping whilst holding on individual wires

Attachments

• audi 003.jpg
    audi 003.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,007
an update and a question if any one has any answers please contact me iv done a continuity between the wires in the unit and they dont make a sound but done a test between the sensor and it beeps should this be seperated with inside the sensor
Audi 005
Audi 004

Try dropping a pm to Chris Adams @adamss24 , he is busy but may be able to point you in the right direction.
If you want to send him a PM click on his name highlighted above and it will take you a screen where you can start a conversation, essentially a PM. When he logs on next he will get a notification that he has been mentioned in this thread and can comment on here if he wants.

hi to any one who has been following this meassage audi a6 diesel pump sorted car running lovely saved my self £600 on a new pump when delving into the pump really quite a simple fix cheers

hi adamss24 well i must have done something right and barking up the right tree as the car up to now had been driving without a problem till yest back to the same problem gutted however the lower sensor the one you see in the previous pics the wire had joined them selves with inside the sensor so when i seperated them re sleeved them the car had been running great but they must have got that hot that they now have melted again so there is either a problem with in side the pump or a problem feeding the pump however the only fault code i get now is 65335 and no faults reading to the pump itself so this now could be another problem so dead end again but weird im not getting any reading with associated with the pump do you have any ideas mate

just an update for anyone got my self a brand new pump and was shocked when i phoned my supplier that the pump with numbers 0470506016 what is normally quite an expensive pump cost me only £525 ok i get discounts but problem all sorted

tried 3 different pumps in this car 2 which had the same like for like numbers still didnt work put a brand new one in worked until now im only putting updates on here so other people dont suffer like i have well any how iv now spent shed loads of money only to find out the brand new pump still has not sorted the problem so before i totally give up on it i tried one more thing fuel lines i found by running an air line through one of them that the return pipe was blocked really bad with crud car runs as perfect so please if anyone is having this same problem check the fuel lines before waisting shed loads cheers jay

hope this information is useful to some one being a mechanic you can understand that i dont like to have something beat me so i can say now im beginning to know my audi well now i want to share with you also if you are getting these symptoms
flashing glow light
car stops suddenly
car wont start
car holds back when driving
or car judders
painfully go into the drivers side rear fuel tank you will find a pump that looks like it would never come out pipes tubes wires every where the center pump removes only turn the pump using a couple of long screw drivers criss cross them in the groves turn anti clock and the center pump will be loose then disconnect the fuel line what runs into 2 pull out the yellow tube and then she should be ready to come out once it is out you can find on the filter that its so thick black crud that the pump cant get fuel from the other tank quick enough to fill up the chamber so what happens as your driving along the chamber slowly empties causing air in the lines even if you have a full tank of fuel it takes fuel from a different part of the tank to fill the chamber not direct so in long term can cause the main fuel pump to fail i hope this is useful to anyone who has these problems
thanks jay

Reactions: All-rod
Good to share the info ! I never came across a blocked lift pump yet...

thanks bud so far still all good never drove so nice it was thick thick only a dribble was getting through to fill up the bowel my next mission is the air con lol

can anyone help. the live wire that seems to operate fuel pump goes dead when its plugged into its fuse slot. even if i put a live wire onto it the fuel pump comes on but still wont start.then when i take the wire out it test positive again.