Audi A6 2.5 Tiptronic starting problem - help please !!

aquarian

Reaction score

Hi everyone,

I am so relieved to have stumbled upon this site and am proud to be a new member, having just bought a beautiful Audi A6 2.5 Tiptronic, which had no starting problems when I first collected her, but which then semmed to struggle to get started during the very cold spell and snow last week ....
Having now driven over 600 miles, stopping just to fill up with no problems at all, have had one more episode (whilst starting up on the ferry) where I managed to rev enough to get her started, Thank God!
And now back home the following day....she now won't start at all.

A mechanic has checked with his equipment and can find no fault at all.
However, there seem to be what look like air bubbles in the fuel pipe above the engine.
He plans to return so that we can try and bleed the system, but it may be the ECU?

Please, can anyone help? Any similar experience and / or advice please?

Desperately hoping, and praying since the bank manager really will not be a Happy Chappie and willing to help me out this time ! (need my wheels!!) and since I really had hoped that it would be the start of many good runs.

Thanks very much

The Bosch VP44 Injection Pump is a 'known issue'. Expensive Fix.
The fuel lines also go hard and leak and the valve on top of the filter can be an issue. These are cheap fixes.
Diesel Bob Tuning - Injection Pumps
Diesel Bob is your man for the pump £75 to check to a full recon unit with warranty for around £650 (about 1/2 Audi list)
If the pump needs doing and your mileage is on the high side consider the thermostat, water pump, cambelts, tensioners and bearings at the same time.

Second that .
Mines as diesel bobs as we speak

Thanks so much - that is fair and sound advice , just what I was hoping for. Will keep the link, very helpful. Thanks
Fortunately, the cam belt has been done , about 2000 miles ago, so that shouldn't be an problem.
Just keeping my fingers crossed that the issue will be one of the cheaper options ...after shedding out the cash for the car then this happening straight away it has kinda knocked me for six!

Quick question, do you know how I can move the car ? At present she is parked directly where we need to get in and out and know that it's difficult with automatics... first time that I've owned one and have a lot to learn!

Cheers

Can you let me know how you get on ? And did you have the same problem as me?

Cheers

(and good luck !)

I had the air bubbles too but changed the fuel filter and also the one way valve on the top of it just for peace of mind .This did not solve the problem and as a result had the car code read .(i would advise you to do that first )
The pump ecu was removed and sent off showing no sign of fault so now the pump has come off and has been sent to diesel bob for a diagnosic check and rebuild if needed.
I know the costs are not cheap and we all live in hope of finding a cheap fix (i know i was hoping too) but some things are just the way they are .

To move it you should be able to pop it in neutral just on the ignition key release.
If you try priming the pump it may also start and for some unknown reason even a faulty pump will run (lumpy and reduced power) in S mode....
The best bit is that if you chat to Bob he should confirm that once done the pump will run on just filtered chip fat (no octane booster) so you can recoup the pump costs. Me? nope VPower all the way.