Audi A6 C6 3.0 TDI engine problem - help in identifying the issue

ericsson

Reaction score
Hello,

Since this is my first post on the forums, I'd like to say hello to everyone here - I hope that apart from gaining knowledge, I'll also be able to help out others in the future :)

Don't have an Audi yet, but I'm looking at a 2005 A6 3.0 TDI with some engine issue.
The seller claims there's never been any problems with either the injectors not the hydraulic chain tensioner and this problem started suddenly after he stopped to get diesel.

He claims it's the hydraulic valve tappets making the noise, but for me this knocking sound is different than "playing" tappets. Please have a look at the short video:
http://uploadfile.pl/pokaz/1061339---pmzw.html

As we can see, the car is quite heavily smoking off the exhaust too, meaning that most surely the injectors need replacing - but my main concern is the loud knocking coming for the engine.
It doesn't sound like a problem with the timing-chains / tensionser, I'm a bit worried it could be a connecting rod bearing or one of the main bearings that spun around (perhaps due to fuel delivery issues)?

If someone would have any idea (or know) what this could be (or what to check/where to look to confirm) and the estimate costs involved in a repair, I'd much appreciate a helping hand.

Many thanks for your attention and wishing all the best,
ericsson

Welcome!

OMG mate! This did not sound any near like an A6 3.0. More like a tractor and it's smoking like one also.

I wouldn't know much to help you on that but it will be good to start with an VCDS scan. This can possibly exclude few issues like injectors.

Hello Kris and thanks for the welcoming :)

Yup, I know it sounds horrible (and serious), that's why I'm trying my best a determining the cause of these noises.
Obviously the injectors are gone, but that's a much smaller issue than the loud, knocking sound the engine is making.
I'll try to do make another video today, as I'm scheduled to view the car this evening. Unfortunately at this moment there's no way for my to dy a VCDS scan due to not having any equipment - so all I can do is touch, see and listen.

I'll try to rev the engine a bit higher than it's idle speed to see what's the reaction and does that help/chance the noise in any way. Perhaps this will help to try saying what might be the cause. I'd like to ask would anyone be able to advise on what to check, where to listen closely in order to either exclude or track a faulty sector of the engine?

Cheers for any imput here fellas,
ericsson