Audi Approved Used Car - complaint due to bumper paint?

Reaction score
Hi
I recently bought a used audi s4 (2009 model) in red (a few weeks ago).
The car is immaculate inside and largely outside other than a few stone chips (other than below).

Today whilst detail cleaning for the first time (first chance!) i noticed something that has me very worried.
The paint on the rear bumper is chipping quite heavily on both sides, which although suprising isnt impossible, however what is worrying is the paint underneath. This clearly looks to me as if the bumper is blue and has been resprayed red!!

So the worry is firstly why does it have a blue bumper, and secondly I wonder if there is any major damage hidden away.
I did check the car for this, but from what i can tell I see no sign of panel replacement or anything underneath that would lead me to believe it. So could just be a bumper issue...

RearBumper01RearBumper02

Anyway, my query that I am hoping you guys can help me with is if this is something i can go back to the dealer and complain about? (i will be doing that).
THe warranty doesnt cover bodywork i am told, and maybe their point would be that this should have been noticed when i viewed the car. God knows how i missed it!

But for me the bumper is clearly not the original one for the car as its blue!! so do i have a leg to stand on here and demand it sorting?

Cheers

Somebodies fitted a 2nd hand bumper and not prepped it properly. I would be going back to where you got it and be expecting it be painted properly

take the car back asap

audi approved is supposedly for cars which have proper history and been maintained properly paint and all
if approved audi dealers are going to start selling anything they can get there hands on , then there is little point in buying a used approved audi

please take the car back to the dealer and make them aware, due to the lack of information you have asked the question on one the largest audi websites in the u.k
and there is a LOT of people interested in how the dealer is now going to handle this is it may well effect other peoples decision to buy audi approved

wait for a response back from the dealer

ask why the bumper appears to have been changed ? if it has been crash damaged does it not state in your checklist that the car has been checked for crash damage previously against a hpi list

ask what happens to your paint warranty ... if the car has been re-painted is it covered by the same paint and anti corrosion warranty as a car which hasnt been painted

if they state they will repaint it and cover it on the warranty scheme ... GET IT IN WRITING BY AUDI U.K NOT BY THE DEALER

hope this helps

Somebodies fitted a 2nd hand bumper and not prepped it properly. I would be going back to where you got it and be expecting it be painted properly

Be careful on that one! Some plastic does have a bluey hue. Is it actually Blue Paint? If so I would definitely expect a proper paint finish. Which dealer?

Definitely paint, it matches the wife's tt, which would be ok it was on her car 😃

Had the car on a ramp today and inspected it, luckily no signs of damage to the car which is good because I did look for that originally. All original panels and no signs of any tampering with any of the car underneath or inside.
Spotted a leaky axle seal though which will be a warranty fix.

Weirdly the bumper has been fully painted inside and out, but clearly not prepped properly as otherwise why would it peel?

Will let you know the dealer once I've spoken to them.

Ask to see the vehicles history with audi , its service history etc.There may be an entry for repairs whether crash or warranty.Just because it is audi approved means feck all.Its a car that the dealership is selling with its standard used car warranty.Doesnt mean its anything special unfortunately.You would have thought so but no.

I had a similar situation after I bought my s3, the laquer on the front bumper started peeling. I took it in and they reapaired it due to the the fact that in between them getting it and me buying it, they had completed a smart repair on the bumper. This was about 4-5 months after i bought the car so you should be fine.

update.

For those interested...
The dealer expressed their shock at the findings and agreed to respray the bumper, and also repaired some peeling lacquer i had on the front bumper from stone chips (thanks jtaylor for that, i wouldnt have asked if you hadnt mentioned it!)
They picked the car up, gave me a replacement and delivered it back 3 days later.

On stripping it down, they commented that there wasnt any more blue paint underneath - so maybe it was the undercoat? (seems odd for that colour), maybe PilotAUdi was correct afterall...? Chances are it could be the original bumper.. as no other damage and no records indicating as such.
Either way they wanted to make sure i was happy so agreed to respray it all correctly.

So, all resolved, paintwork bang on, and now im happy.

Reactions: jojo
If I was having my say; If the blue was something other than a finish coat, it would most likely be primer than the bumper. But looking at it, it is definitely a finish coat.. no plastic would give a metallic look like that, not one I have ever come across before anyway. Possibly just a repair outside of Audi, explaining no history of the repair until the paint peeled?

Glad you got it sorted mate, excellent response from the dealer.