Audi Avant Electronic tailgate issue

BodhiM

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an issue with my automatic tailgate from my AUDI a4 b8 avant. It's a beautifull car, so I try to maintain it to the best of my ability's

Short story:
The automatic tail gate from my avant opens only half way. The idea was that the motors are not powerfull enough to open the tailgate. Just for fun, i removed the brackets that drive the automatic motor to the tailgait to see what would happen. And to my surprise, the motors, without any pressure or resistance, stop at the exact same place. So if there is load, or no load, they open half way. It seems to be a software or internal postion sensor error. Is there anyone who knows how to fix this?

p.s., I tried the 10second button press on the tailgate, did not work.

Long story:
The automatic tailgate had troubles opening all the way. It opened up about 3/4. I replaced the struts which fixed the issue. After this, a family member pushed the tailgate down manually with some force, 5 times (yes i know, sigh......). After the fifth time, the tailgate would only open 1/2 of the way. I went to Audi with this issue and they tried the 10 second button pres ( tried this to, knew it would not work). After the visit to audi, the whole tailgate wouldn't open anymore.

When at home, I tried to open the tailgate manually, slowly! I heard a loud pop and the left motor was sticking a bit trough the cieling of the car. Uppon removing al the parts, there was a bolt missing or broken that holds the left (black motor) in place. I put everything back, lubed it propperly and it worked, half. The boot opened up again until 1/2.

I went to audi to figure out what the problem was. I asked them to recalebrate the motors. They claimed to do an inspection. After a day I get a call. "Hi sir. For your audi. Both motors need te be replaced. Furthermore, they are not the original AUDI motors. Repairs cost: 1800,-!!!! Obviously, that is not worth the fix. But what really triggered me is that I am for 95% convinced that both motors are orginal! Both have an audi sticker, with product label and the exact same production date from when the car was produced (03/2008).

After this I did some more fixing. The wierd thing is as follows:

If you see the motors as a clock, they start at 6 o'clock when the boot is closed. If you open the boot when everything is in it's original place, the boot opens while following the clock to 8/9 o'clock (11 is fully open). The verdict would be, that the motors do not have enough power to open the tailgate.

But wait..... let's try to do all the same, without the motors actually connected to the tailgate. And what do you know? The result is exactly the same! So. They start at 6 o'clock and without any load, open and just stop until 8/9 o'clock at exactly the same place as they are under load. So the conclusion is that this is an software / electrical positioner issue.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, or is capabele to fix this and help me with this?

See pictures fo the motors and on youtube a video of the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Video from tailgate:

Attachments

• 20211021_171226.jpg
    20211021_171226.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 132
  • 20211021_171233.jpg
    20211021_171233.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Does your model of B8 have the memory function in the tailgate, in as much as you could previously set the height of the tailgate?

If you've tried the motors on and off without load, then I think you're right to suspect it's a sensor issue, that could hypothetically be linked to the motors. I just don't know enough about it.

That said - I suspect having access to VCDS could reveal the answer, as there should be some sort of reset function, not just the physical button on the tailgate. I had something similar but with a sunroof after yet another strip-down to fix a leak - and I put it into learn mode.

Incidentally - these motors (both of them) are available on Ebay for £120 for both. I'm not saying that is the cause, but if the internal memory sensor (assuming it's part of the motor) is damaged - then that might be your way forward. There are other professional VCDS users on the forum, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

There's another thread on this and they replaced the gas struts - just a thought!

yes it should have the memory function as mine does .There are videos on youtube

Curious if you found a fix? I am in almost the exact same situation. Family member forced it down, I cranked it back up, the left motor popped out. I just got the motor back in place. It worked for one open/close cycle, I reprogrammed it at the top, but now it won't open. It will unlock, try for a second to open, open maybe 1/2", then sit there.