Audi concert SD Card 2gb limit?

Shepp

Reaction score
Hi folks don't know whether I should put this in the ice forum or here, my Audi concert stereo in 2008 b8 a4 has SD card reader but it won't accept any modern cards 4gb upwards. I have an old 2gb that works fine but 4gb and 16gb cards don't work at all. I hear that there is an update for the stereo that unlocks the SD reader to new cards. Is this true and if so is only Audi dealer able to do it or can it be done else where. Cheers

I'm sure that I've read about probably within the ICE section of this forum - if not in this section.
Have you tried using the SEARCH function, most search functions on these motoring forums are just too fussy to be of much use, but why not try if you have not already done so.
Also, is this not just a case that you might need to order in older versions/models of SD from that famous world wide auction/sales site?

Reactions: Shepp
I'm sure that I've read about probably within the ICE section of this forum - if not in this section.
Have you tried using the SEARCH function, most search functions on these motoring forums are just too fussy to be of much use, but why not try if you have not already done so.
Also, is this not just a case that you might need to order in older versions/models of SD from that famous world wide auction/sales site?
Yes I managed to get an old SD card 2gb which works fine but was hoping I could get a bigger card to work. No bother as I can still use phone via the aux too. Cheers

It is an SD format issue, the concert is based on the RNS-E v1 MMI unit and it can only read SD cards (memory format not the physical size of the card)

All cards now are at least SDHC or SDXC, hence why they don’t work. These roughly coincide with capacity sizes, but there are some exceptions.

0a094816953ac6bdaa1e08f9c67ff91d.jpg

It is a hardware limitation, and the newer RNS-E v2 unit found in the A3 and TT can read the SDHC format, but no software update to your RNS-E v1 base MMI will help at all.

Your only options are:
1) To buy a 3rd party interface that can read newer format SD cards, but if you do that, you may as well just buy a Bluetooth one from Dension!
2) Replace your concert radio with one from a newer car
3) replace your head unit with an aftermarket one

Reactions: Shepp
It is an SD format issue, the concert is based on the RNS-E v1 MMI unit and it can only read SD cards (memory format not the physical size of the card)

All cards now are at least SDHC or SDXC, hence why they don’t work. These roughly coincide with capacity sizes, but there are some exceptions.

0a094816953ac6bdaa1e08f9c67ff91d.jpg

It is a hardware limitation, and the newer RNS-E v2 unit found in the A3 and TT can read the SDHC format, but no software update to your RNS-E v1 base MMI will help at all.

Your only options are:
1) To buy a 3rd party interface that can read newer format SD cards, but if you do that, you may as well just buy a Bluetooth one from Dension!
2) Replace your concert radio with one from a newer car
3) replace your head unit with an aftermarket one
OK thanks for clearing that up for me. Cheers bud.