Audi connect key, anyone got it working?

leedsutd79

Reaction score
Anyone managed to get this working? I can't find the option on the mmi screen the user manual mentions.

Should be able to use your phone as the key to unlock and start the car allegedly.

All the rest of the myaudi connect services are setup and working fine.

I think this only work in USA model.i maybe worng?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

It doesnt work, plenty of threads around the various forums on this. The last was on the A7 forum I think.

I dont think the unlock by placing the phone against the door handle is an option in the UK, or the remote start/heating/cooling.

Anyone managed to get this working? I can't find the option on the mmi screen the user manual mentions.

Should be able to use your phone as the key to unlock and start the car allegedly.

All the rest of the myaudi connect services are setup and working fine.

I can lock and unlock it from the phone app ( after entering pin code etc ), but haven't seen how to start it or use the phone as a proximity key.

Uses nfc, a sensor is fitted in the handle however I've not heard of any Audi's actually having it...

Why would you need it though? The beauty of keyless entry is not having to take anything out of your pockets...

I guess, I would prefer to though as a backup and still use the handles without having to remove anything from my pockets.

Does it have the ability to create a guest?

I guess, I would prefer to though as a backup and still use the handles without having to remove anything from my pockets.

Does it have the ability to create a guest?
I have to say it is very good. Yes, you're quite right, it doesn't give you the ease of entry of having the key in your pocket, but it does mean you have one less thing to lose. My car key has a load of other keys on it and if I am just popping to the shops all I need is my phone with Google Pay and Audi Key on it. Very liberating!

Guest access should work in two ways :

1 you can give a digital key to other people to have on their phone without parting with a physical key. Maybe useful in some families or companies. I think you can allocate 5 keys to people. Equally, your phone can accommodate keys from other people.
2 you should be able to have a credit card type thing that you can give to valet parking. However, Audi UK deny all knowledge of this and say Audi Connect Key not supported in the UK. That seems odd when they have put a load of cars on the road here with this feature.

I suspect we will see more of cars without keys - I don't know about the security aspects, but suspect it is safer than a physical key that can be cloned without physically having access to it.

Reactions: cuke2u
Hi @Edward L - I posted in your thread and you were very helpful with MMI photos, so thanks again.
Unfortunately, this option doesnt work on the A6 C8, as the option is not listed in the car settings in the MMI.

However, Audi UK deny all knowledge of this and say Audi Connect Key not supported in the UK. That seems odd when they have put a load of cars on the road here with this feature.

I suspect we will see more of cars without keys - I don't know about the security aspects, but suspect it is safer than a physical key that can be cloned without physically having access to it.
So where are all these loads of cars in the UK with connect key, only the top end models appear to have this. Mobile phones can be hacked more easily as well and I never would use mine to pay for anything. Also Audi could easily make their fobs secure, other manufacturers have done so, even Ford with their 2018 focus and fiesta's. Audi appear to be slow out of the blocks with this....

Last edited:
Hi @Edward L - I posted in your thread and you were very helpful with MMI photos, so thanks again.
Unfortunately, this option doesnt work on the A6 C8, as the option is not listed in the car settings in the MMI.
Ah, shame - is it even an option on the A6?

So where are all these loads of cars in the UK with connect key, only the top end models appear to have this. Mobile phones can be hacked more easily as well and I never would use mine to pay for anything. Also Audi could easily make their fobs secure, other manufacturers have done so, even Ford with their 2018 focus and fiesta's. Audi appear to be slow out of the blocks with this....

Was only trying to share info! Let me rephrase - when I was looking for an A7 it seemed to me that quite a few of what I guess were the launch edition ones in the UK have Audi Connect Key. Here is an example:
https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar....0108,800|1050,40000|1070,2018/l|12,1,t_geo,U

The digital key that is stored to the phone I would suspect is more secure than the physical one, but I stand to be corrected by someone who knows more than me. I use Google Pay a lot, have never had any issues. Rather better than using credit cards which over the years have been cloned several times. If your phone is stolen, then the digital key can be deactivated from your myAudi account on the web, whereas if your physical key is stolen, the car will remain at risk.

All these techy bits are good if they work for you, if they don't, don't use 'em!

I researched dozen's of low mileage, demonstrators or managers cars, couple of months old, 68 plate A7's prior to finding the one for me. I was completely on top of all specs and options. Must say I never came across the Audi Connect Key during this research. It is not even featured in the 2018 A7 pricelist/brochure I was referring to!
So I believe it is a rarity.

Was only trying to share info! Let me rephrase - when I was looking for an A7 it seemed to me that quite a few of what I guess were the launch edition ones in the UK have Audi Connect Key. Here is an example:
https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar....0108,800|1050,40000|1070,2018/l|12,1,t_geo,U

The digital key that is stored to the phone I would suspect is more secure than the physical one, but I stand to be corrected by someone who knows more than me. I use Google Pay a lot, have never had any issues. Rather better than using credit cards which over the years have been cloned several times. If your phone is stolen, then the digital key can be deactivated from your myAudi account on the web, whereas if your physical key is stolen, the car will remain at risk.

All these techy bits are good if they work for you, if they don't, don't use 'em!
I have no issues with what you posted at all, it's just, as stated, only a few top end of Audi's have this. As for security, thieves do no need the keys these days to grap codes from the fobs and I haven't seen any announcements from Audi they are modifying their fobs to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity. Mobile phones use nfc which can also be hacked...

Last edited:
I have to say it is very good. Yes, you're quite right, it doesn't give you the ease of entry of having the key in your pocket, but it does mean you have one less thing to lose. My car key has a load of other keys on it and if I am just popping to the shops all I need is my phone with Google Pay and Audi Key on it. Very liberating!

Hi, can I ask how you went about setting up your audi connect key on your phone?
Does your vehicle have the audi connect key feature... that's what the manual I have (attached) says is required.

Attachments

• connect-key.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 814
Hello! I'm new here but I own 2018 Audi A7 55 TFSI and it have Audi Connect Key. I have an Iphone 11 Pro and Pixel 4 XL. Both phone have my audi application installed. In iphone the Audi Connect Key tab is missing from my Audi app but in Pixel 4 XL i have it. See attached pictures.
Is Audi Connect Key working on other mobile phones? There is issue with my phone or this option is not working at all. Let me know if you can help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200828-224255.png
    Screenshot_20200828-224255.png
    360.5 KB · Views: 505
  • Screenshot_20200828-224317.png
    Screenshot_20200828-224317.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 511
  • Screenshot_20200828-224338.png
    Screenshot_20200828-224338.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 486
  • Screenshot_20200828-224357.png
    Screenshot_20200828-224357.png
    352 KB · Views: 463
Hello! I'm new here but I own 2018 Audi A7 55 TFSI and it have Audi Connect Key. I have an Iphone 11 Pro and Pixel 4 XL. Both phone have my audi application installed. In iphone the Audi Connect Key tab is missing from my Audi app but in Pixel 4 XL i have it. See attached pictures.
Is Audi Connect Key working on other mobile phones? There is issue with my phone or this option is not working at all. Let me know if you can help me.

I'm pretty sure this is more to do with the car than the phone. As in the instruction pdf posted above, do you have the Audi Connect Key menu in the MMI?

I'm pretty sure this is more to do with the car than the phone. As in the instruction pdf posted above, do you have the Audi Connect Key menu in the MMI?
Yes, everything in my car is turned on. See picture attached. Will try later with my brother's Samsung S20 to see if the same error will appear. Will update the post then.

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_073543.jpg
    IMG_20200829_073543.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 478
From your profile it looks like you're not UK-based so maybe this option is location specific.
Be good to hear how you get on, best of luck

When i installed application in S20 it was wrote it is compatible but few hours later when i took phone to car, in Samsung S20 received the same error like on my Pixel 4 XL: Device not compatible. What phones are you using that not show this error?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200828-224357.png
    Screenshot_20200828-224357.png
    352 KB · Views: 530
I noticed in your photo of the MMI, the bottom option of "Key Card" was deactivated. Do you have to activate that in the MMI? Only guessing as I don't have the connect key menu in my MMI.

I think key card is something else. So what phone are you using and it didn't show that device is not compatible when you run compatibility test?

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_090422.jpg
    IMG_20200901_090422.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 464
I have a Galaxy S20 Ultra, the key test works on the MyAudi app, but I don't have the Connect Key menu in the MMI, so its probably not installed in my vehicle.

Don't think the Audi Connect Key option is available in the UK. Even the Vorsprung spec only goes as far as the Advanced Key

I'm not in UK but I can't find a phone to successfully pass compatibility of my Audi app. I tried pixel 4 xl, galaxy S20 and iPhone pro. Will try other :)

A thread on the A7 forum is linked further up this thread, I've just checked it and the owner successfully uses his Galaxy S8 to lock/unlock their vehicle, so I'm a bit surprised the S20 won't work.

I'm able to lock/unlock my car from my audi application. This is working without issue from the beginning on my Pixel 4 XL. What I want is to activate Audi Connect Key and as I understood, if I'll activate it, I'll be able to put my phone in the armrest and start my car and drive it, without taking Audi physical key with me. I'm right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200902-114041.png
    Screenshot_20200902-114041.png
    504.2 KB · Views: 435
  • Screenshot_20200902-114103.png
    Screenshot_20200902-114103.png
    352 KB · Views: 422
  • Screenshot_20200902-114124.png
    Screenshot_20200902-114124.png
    483.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Screenshot_20200902-114156.png
    Screenshot_20200902-114156.png
    258.2 KB · Views: 462
Don’t the door handles have a NFC chip reader that you hold the back of the phone up to to unlock like an Apple Pay payment?

Don’t the door handles have a NFC chip reader that you hold the back of the phone up to to unlock like an Apple Pay payment?
I think it should work in this way. But till now, i wasn't able to find a phone that will pass compatibility check for audi connect key.

Locking/Unlocking remotely is also possible using my audi application. I also start my car heater from the phone using myAudi app.

Locking/Unlocking remotely is also possible using my audi application. I also start my car heater from the phone using myAudi app.

Remote locking and unlocking we have in the UK but remote start for the heater we don’t.

Currently is is illegal to start a vehicle and have the engine running whilst unoccupied in the UK...

Reactions: cuke2u
i can remote unlock or lock via the myAudi App but as advised above no heating option

What Audi model do you have. I have auxiliary heating option. But can’t hear it remotely.

What Audi model do you have. I have auxiliary heating option. But can’t hear it remotely.
UK Cars have the auxuillary heat option which kicks in to help warm the car up once it has started to overcome the issue that diesel engines run much cooler than petrol engines so take a long time to warm up. UK car do not have remote heating option that allows the car to be warmed up before use due to the climate not really requiring it and secondly as others have said it is illegal in the UK to leave a vehicle with the engine running unattended