Audi Connect - Not recognising Sim

S3orge

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on an issue I’ve had. I bought an EE preloaded data sim, activated it on a phone, yet when I insert it in the glovebox the car is not even acknowledging the sim is there. It’s fully inserted ‘clicked’ in place.

if I got to the Audi connect section on the MMI I can’t get past the first screen of ‘Insert a sim with data’. I’ve reset the MMI to no joy.

Has anyone had any similar issues that they managed to sort out?

thanks

I used an EE SIM on my previous 2015 car with no issues, does the SIM port need to be switched on - I can't recall?

I used an EE SIM on my previous 2015 car with no issues, does the SIM port need to be switched on - I can't recall?

I’ve seen a lot of people use EE so not sure that’s the issue. I haven’t seen anything on having to activate the sim slot though. There is a setting in the TEL tab to enable something to do with data but I’ve tried that to no success either. I’m kind of leaning to a dodgy MMI/sim unit

I've just set mine up using an EE sim. Had issuesxand it was down to the sim

Ring EE and ask them to register the sim and low and behold it'll work fine :)

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on an issue I’ve had. I bought an EE preloaded data sim, activated it on a phone, yet when I insert it in the glovebox the car is not even acknowledging the sim is there. It’s fully inserted ‘clicked’ in place.

if I got to the Audi connect section on the MMI I can’t get past the first screen of ‘Insert a sim with data’. I’ve reset the MMI to no joy.

Has anyone had any similar issues that they managed to sort out?

thanks

Where did you get the SIM, was it EE or from ebay/amazon?

If you get a sim from EE then it should be ok as they are usually pre-provisioned (e.g. SIM contains the relevant information that allows you to use Voice/Messaging/Data services). They should just work with any type of device, mobile phone, tablet, car system

If you bought it from ebay/Amazon, you have to watch out as the seller may have sent you a generic SIM that hasn't been pre-provisioned and requires provisioning via a separate link or app. The issue with this approach is you often need to use this separate link and app on the same device where you've put the SIM. They assume the sim is for a device that internet web browsing capability/can use apps, which your car can't (ie. they have assumed people will only use it for a mobile device or tablet). So, your car's MMI wont recognise it. If so, I would return it to the seller (tell them to employ a Business Analyst who understands user scenarios and not rely on a lazy developer to setup their provisioning process). I had this very issue with one SIM, despite asking the relevant questions - the idiots I spoke to in their customer support just didn't get it until I explained the issue to them in idiotic language - I got a refund.

Other possible issues could be:
no mobile network coverage
faulty MMI
faulty SIM holder
faulty /damaged SIM

Where did you get the SIM, was it EE or from ebay/amazon?

If you get a sim from EE then it should be ok as they are usually pre-provisioned (e.g. SIM contains the relevant information that allows you to use Voice/Messaging/Data services). They should just work with any type of device, mobile phone, tablet, car system

If you bought it from ebay/Amazon, you have to watch out as the seller may have sent you a generic SIM that hasn't been pre-provisioned and requires provisioning via a separate link or app. The issue with this approach is you often need to use this separate link and app on the same device where you've put the SIM. They assume the sim is for a device that internet web browsing capability/can use apps, which your car can't (ie. they have assumed people will only use it for a mobile device or tablet). So, your car's MMI wont recognise it. If so, I would return it to the seller (tell them to employ a Business Analyst who understands user scenarios and not rely on a lazy developer to setup their provisioning process). I had this very issue with one SIM, despite asking the relevant questions - the idiots I spoke to in their customer support just didn't get it until I explained the issue to them in idiotic language - I got a refund.

Other possible issues could be:
no mobile network coverage
faulty MMI
faulty SIM holder
faulty /damaged SIM

Yes the Sim was bought off Amazon. It did need activating via a link which is what I assume you mean above? I activated it and checked this worked in a phone which it did so assume the Sim is all good. I have since tried a Three Sim to rule out any issues with the EE sim but i'm getting the same results. Pretty much all data settings are greyed out in the 'TEL' tab options. SO it seems like the car is literally not even recognising the fact a Sim is installed.

Is there any advantage to using a sim versus just using your mobile data? There doesn’t seem to be any advantage or am I overlooking something?
On The PFL you can't use your mobile data via your car, I'm not sure you can even do this on the FL. Hence the Sim card slot for a data only SIM. Silly idea really as it would make life a lot easier to stream data from a connected mobile device. On my m135i the setup worked well as the car had an inbuilt SIM that you just subscribed to with BMW connected services. I think the FL RS3 may use a similar setup now instead of providing your own SIM?

Oh I see, I didn’t realise the PFL didn’t use the mobile data. On my 69 reg the phone links the data. The only thing I can’t do with a sim is make a hotspot with the mmi and perhaps some other minor functions. Not sure why there’s even is a SIM card slot beyond that really. Maybe for people that don’t carry their phone around?
Didn't realise that, makes life so much simplaer if you can just use your phone. Not sure why they didn't have that function earlier on. I mean its not the end of the world having the Audi connect but its useful to have Real time traffic now and again.