Audi Connect - Please insert SIM

Steelster

Reaction score
Evening everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has had an issue with the following........

8d4852f670e102a5464f52d63989a7c0.jpg

Happens now and then when using Nav. Essentially it seems to stop the online traffic updates until it somehow reconnects and all works again. Doesn't stop the navigation but I'd wager if I tried to look at weather or other Audi Connect services they wouldn't work. Hard to say how often it happens as I haven't used the Nav all that much but if I'm on an hour journey will almost certainly happen at least once.

Any ideas??!?

Also whilst I'm in the spotlight, the Media screen also is a little temperamental with my song list. Instead of constantly showing the album artwork/detailed info screen, it seems as though it is struggling to "re-load" the song list so goes back to the song title screen as if you were scrolling using the MMI wheel. It does however sometimes not load up the list of songs next up to play so unless I keep hitting skip track I don't know what is up next. Usually corrects itself and reloads up the list at some point but can take a few minutes at least. Worth asking Audi to take a look?? Possibly my library on the phone is too large and creating a random tracklist is freaking the MMI out?!? Any ideas again would be fantabulous!

EDIT : This is what the screen will look like. It will return back to the album art screen at some point, but if I scroll the wheel on MMI or even virtual cockpit, it will just show the one song....

0e3880d1ad71eb676c9c5da0c3224e33.jpg

The "insert SIM" message pops up periodically for me. It usually happens when I am starting the car in the morning (but signal is good at home). I have also seen it in known bad signal areas.

I have had some quirky behaviour with song lists but they usually work eventually. I have a large music collection on an SD card but I also play from my iPhone using bluetooth and sometimes Apple Car play. I have found the artwork doesn't show at all using CarPlay but it does when using bluetooth (but can be sluggish).

Reactions: Steelster
Mine is PFL and the only time I've had such a message is on the few occasions when the SIM card somehow got ejected in the glove box. But you're probably on the embedded SIM so probably no help I'm afraid. The other aspects you talk about are not evident on my PFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The "insert SIM" message pops up periodically for me. It usually happens when I am starting the car in the morning (but signal is good at home). I have also seen it in known bad signal areas.

I have had some quirky behaviour with song lists but they usually work eventually. I have a large music collection on an SD card but I also play from my iPhone using bluetooth and sometimes Apple Car play. I have found the artwork doesn't show at all using CarPlay but it does when using bluetooth (but can be sluggish).
That could make sense, so rather than the sim actually not being recognised it is more that signal has been lost??

Could also be on the right lines for the song list. Seeing as I am using bluetooth and always just randomise my entire library maybe it struggles now and then to cope with it?

That could make sense, so rather than the sim actually not being recognised it is more that signal has been lost??

Could also be on the right lines for the song list. Seeing as I am using bluetooth and always just randomise my entire library maybe it struggles now and then to cope with it?

Yes I have assumed it is a signal issue. Either taking a long time to actually establish a connection or there is actually no signal.

When I'm using bluetooth from my iPhone I tend to select a playlist as these are smaller than the whole collection -I also shuffle the music each time.

If I'm in the car for any length of time I use car play so that the phone is also charging on the cable. You can buy a special Audi case for the iPhone that will use Qi charging if you have Audi phone box (I also have one of those but I'm not using it at the moment) which means you can use bluetooth for extended periods and charge the phone. Plugged in with the cable it goes to car play and won't use bluetooth.

Last edited:
Yes I have assumed it is a signal issue. Either taking a long time to actually establish a connection or there is actually no signal.

When I'm using bluetooth from my iPhone I tend to select a playlist as these are smaller than the whole collection -I also shuffle the music each time.

If I'm in the car for any length of time I use car play so that the phone is also charging on the cable. You can buy a special Audi case for the iPhone that will use Qi charging if you have Audi phone box (I also have one of those but I'm not using it at the moment) which means you can use bluetooth for extended periods and charge the phone. Plugged in with the cable it goes to car play and won't use bluetooth.
The only reason I don't use carplay is because I had everything paired with bluetooth. Then one journey needed some charging so plugged in and went through carplay. Stopped the car and got out for some lunch but when I got back in went back to bluetooth and the system wouldn't play any songs. The phone was paired but when searching for music folders it wasn't working so I got cold feet an haven't connected the cable since!!

The only reason I don't use carplay is because I had everything paired with bluetooth. Then one journey needed some charging so plugged in and went through carplay. Stopped the car and got out for some lunch but when I got back in went back to bluetooth and the system wouldn't play any songs. The phone was paired but when searching for music folders it wasn't working so I got cold feet an haven't connected the cable since!!

Yes that has happened to me going from CarPlay to bluetooth. Switch the MMI off and on again (no need for a hard reset just hold down the volume knob near the gearstick until the MMI switches off) -that has worked for me.

I think what is happening (but this is guessing, I'm not an IT expert) is that when the ignition is first switched on the MMI is actively looking for a bluetooth connection. If it finds a known device it connects but if you connect the phone via a cable and use car play but later unplug it the system takes ages to find a bluetooth connection again (or doesn't find it at all).

Last edited:
I had that a month ago on a long motorway journey. Didn't really need it because I was just going up the M1 but it was annoying. I just pressed accept everytime and it started working again. Also some times it started asking for some data settings. I think it was MAC address or something like that. I just left it blank and pressed accept and it started working again.