audi dealers suck!! UPDATED

bluequattro

Reaction score
hey guys audi told me today that my car doesnt have the dis function in the clocks, and that the car was too old for this function to operate! the thing is the car had a full dis display when we bought it, the clocks went faulty and audi changed them out to new ones, but i still cant access the dis, the cars a 05 my tdi quattro sport facelift, and to make it worse the car still has a droning/vibration sound from the rear at 2000-3000rpm, so far ive had new propshaft/couplings/haldex oil/tandem pump and sender? service manager told me the noise is normal??? any suggestions would be most welcome guys, we will have owned this car a year in september and its been in audi garage most of that!!! ive asked for a meeting with head of business at glasgow audi, will inform as to what transpires, so far under warranty ive had

new clutch
parking sensors
alarm module
propshaft
propshaft coupling
new exhaust
new clocks
haldex oil changed
tandem pump
and senders

all this for a car with 22.000 miles !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be suggesting to Audi that if there isn't a satisfactory resolve to your situation then you'll be contacting a motoring magazine or trading standards.

Strange how every issue that becomes persistent ends up becoming 'a feature of the car'.

Best of luck to you.

DIS should work, they are incapable and have no idea how to fix it. If it was me there would be a few harsh words, the noise of a fist hitting the reception desk and then if all else fails, start shouting loudly in the showroom

"Dont buy any of these Audis, they are all **** and the staff are useless"

They will soon sort it if you kept doing that every day!

Thats complete & utter bolloxxx, to old to work, what a pile of crap, sounds like its a coding issue as if you can see the DIS in front of you then probably incorrect coding to get functions.

So what can you see in the DIS at moment & are you saying pressing the stalk buttons doesnt switch through the DIS but you can see it working ok?

Jeremy.hicks@audi.co.uk is one & Richard.starkey@audi.co.uk is another to email about the issues.

Is the rear drone also related to the recent issues as per IIRC Tobycruise has had with the haldex 4wd system, check his thread about this & use it as a reference for your meeting.

Anyone local to you with vagcom who can scan for you so we can see the cluster coding & part number.

The mere fact you had one already & went faulty & the chassis lookup probably shows the highline version for your car does defy belief tbh, but given what I went through yesterday while coding my cluster in the audi workshop & I was helping aswell, it wouldnt surprise me they didnt know what they were doing cause it was my observation & "click that one" which made mine wwork after 2.5 hrs!!!!

Hence I refused to pay 2.5 hrs for a 30 minute job mostly & they even said usually takes 10 minutes to download the data.

Have to say I was thoroughly unimpressed with the VAS5052 yesterday, no way as good as vagcom mostly.

thanks for the replies guys, all this is ruining my so called audi experience, i shoulda kept my golf lol, 5 years it was fault free!

all i can see on my dis display is the mpg/temp/miles to empty etc, when i press the reset on wiper stalk it just changes through setting one and two, when before i could actually use the menu to set speed limit etc, however with these new clocks i cant do anything like that, the rear droning is still there after all this time, ive been told the haldex is fine! and that its operating perfectly, when the service manager drove my car yesterday, the car made a drone sound and he told me that wasnt the noise that we were fixing for you! this is the point which i finally lost the rag and demanded a meeting with his boss, weve spent loads on fuel and time from work taking the car on the return to the dealers 90 mile round trip, the car can prolly drive there by itself now, and finally i was told as a business they cant take the risk changing the haldex incase they get it wrong again coz it costs over 3k...

cal

Last edited:
I think there is a member in Glasgow that has VAGcom but I cant remember who! I cant believe all the work you have done, i'm on 24k and had sod all done! I'm guessing its either a coding issue or in my mind more likely you have got the wrong cluster as i have at 53 plate and it has only the functions you are describing, what year is yours as the latter (2007?) had more features? Has anybody checked the wheel bearings, as Boydie knows they have been known to fail.

i have vagcom m8, i can get the codes from the cluster, its a facelift on a 2005

Uh this DIS issue is probably because of one coding issue, there is a bit called advanced comfort, it is needed to switch on other menus in the DIS, just either ask audi to turn it on within 17 & an adaptation channel or find a vagcom user locally to do, genuine that is as wont have access to these modules if cheapo ebay, you could always invest in vagcom itself, hint hint. I'm sure this will fix your DIS issues as it is working properly just the advanced part not enabled, so its not faulty at all.

Get in contact with Tobycruise as advised already & also read his thread about this as I'm sure its related & same problem as yours, audi changed it eventually & fixed the issue, so was haldex IIRC.

Last edited:
My Local audi Dealers are the same, they are incapable of fault finding, they just put their VAS code reader on and follow the instructions, they have no idea how anything works It drives you insane when your trying to get something fixed!!!!!:keule:

You are probably better getting someone with VAGCOM to sort it and give them some beer tokens, they will probably know more and take better care of your car!!! 'RANT OVER'!:blink:

nigel, im sitting in my car scanning car with vagcom version 7041, bought from a chap on here :),
software version on clock is 0005413
part number is 8po 920 981 bx (left side)
other part number kombiinstrument vdo h80 0460 (right side)
shop no 210 wsc 00 752
gereat 75114
ive went through all channels on adaptation on 17 instruments but cant find anything regards change etc, do any of the above numbers make any sense to u m8?

Cal

would a different version help me then m8, i dont know what the differences are

Who sold you the dodgy copy then?

I can only advise on genuine ones, we're now on a 8.05 release & a 9.07 beta.

It means you wont get any updates & if it updates it will most likely make the cable dead & unusable.

Did he tell you or did you honestly know it was fake.

I can spill on about why its worthwhile to buy the genuine system, but you know all the reasons, why do people scrimp then suffer, I just dont get it, get someone local to you with genuine or buy genuine.

As much as I like to help, but sorry I dont in any shape or form condone these fake kits.

i bought it as genuine version 7041, the cable looks real enough and has done loads of diff cars, will a gen version actually open up more options in the instruments section 17?

I suggest you check with the seller if they have proof of genuine & PM me the serial number then I can ask RT if its genuine or not.

Ok I tell you what, update it via the update part in Options, then see if it works on 8.05 & newer, if so then must be genuine, but simple serial check will tell us.

Be warned if you update it will feck a fake cable.

If he has sold as genuine & its fake then ask for refund & get the genuine kit.

now that i think of it nigel, i think i was told not to let it update to newer software, may have to leave it as is for now, as dont want to feck cable, audi are still denying that my car had a full dis a week ahs gone by again still waiting for feedback from germany, or so theyre telling me???
thanks for all ue input m8
cal

Your cluster is the BX revision - probably before it was swapped it was just the B - shouldn't make a difference - but you never know...

does this mean they have fitted a revised set of clocks to my car, or are we talking about my vagcom m8? lol forgive my ignorance

cal

No, means they've just swapped yours for the same model based on an exchange with your old unit, its done with MAF's, turbo's, driveshafts, etc etc, many items are exchanges which saves you some dough if out of warranty as they reuse your old bits when tested & fixed. Usually there is an X on end to denote exchange item is possible.

Try a different garage.

Had to get my lights checked, one garage told me "you cant do this and this" next garage said "yea we can do that for free"

My s3 8p is 2yrs old now and bought from glasgow audi, certainly wont be back not one single bit interested in any of your problems once they have got your money in their pocket, never returning phone calls and always a **** fight with any problems with the car, never any courtesy cars available (so they say) seem to think they are way better than anybody else, attitude is all wrong compared to my small friendly family owned audi garage. Rant over. Just thought i would share my experience when glasgow were mentioned earlier on.

Hey guys, as some of you know i've had loads of problems with our a3, the latter being no menu etc on the car clocks and a drone from the rear of the car when accellerating between 70 and 80mph, according to audi germany this is simply a torque transfer noise and is definetely not the haldex etc, which has been checked and found fault free? the clocks have now been recoded and are working fine.

After me having a meeting with head of business at audi glasgow ive been given an extra years warranty!:yahoo: and hopefully this year will be trouble free, but no doubt time will tell, i just wish i could have dealt with the same guy since the start, as all this has been going on for nearly a year:puke: i dont rate audi lower level customer service at all, it seems we only get results going to the top..

Last edited:
I see you talked about setting the speed on the dis on the stalk...My car is 04 and you do that by pushing or pulling the clock adjust on the dials while car is moving....adjust clock when stationery....

Hey guys, as some of you know i've had loads of problems with our a3, the latter being no menu etc on the car clocks and a drone from the rear of the car when accellerating between 70 and 80mph, according to audi germany this is simply a torque transfer noise and is definetely not the haldex etc, which has been checked and found fault free? the clocks have now been recoded and are working fine.

After me having a meeting with head of business at audi glasgow ive been given an extra years warranty!:yahoo: and hopefully this year will be trouble free, but no doubt time will tell, i just wish i could have dealt with the same guy since the start, as all this has been going on for nearly a year:puke: i dont rate audi lower level customer service at all, it seems we only get results going to the top..

As you say it's a shame that you had to go to the top to get a satisfactory solution. I have never had a serious problem with any of my A3s but I'm sure I would not have any problems with the Service department at my particular dealer. They are always so positive and helpful even of small things. It's a pity that all Audi dealers are not the same.

AYR AUDI have always been gr8 for me,infact they are the best garage i have ever dealt with:laugh: ALTHOUGH they are owned by Lomond group who also own Glasgow Audi:puke:
just some useless info

My s3 8p is 2yrs old now and bought from glasgow audi, certainly wont be back not one single bit interested in any of your problems once they have got your money in their pocket, never returning phone calls and always a **** fight with any problems with the car, never any courtesy cars available (so they say) seem to think they are way better than anybody else, attitude is all wrong compared to my small friendly family owned audi garage. Rant over. Just thought i would share my experience when glasgow were mentioned earlier on.

Ref the droning noise - You don't happen to have Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres fitted do you?

Ref the VCDS - Ask for a refund from the person you bought it from, it seems you have a counterfeit version as Nigel says.

Hi Stu, Im running tyres called Enduro, they seem to be very good for budget tyres, good grip in the wet as well, altho a tad noisy on the road, im going to buy a genuine vagcom lead i think.

cal

Ok, had loads of aggro with the Dunlops, quite well reported around the forums. I had them on one of my cars and the dealers replaced two wheel bearings before we realised the problem. The wife had some put on her company car by quick sh1t and it sounds the same.

I had thought my wheel bearings were noisy as well m8, but same situation as you, it was noisy tyres, the joys of motoring huh lol

cal