Audi in Car WiFi

RAF_S7

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone with Audi in car wifi (part of the MMI 4G high package - Sim slot in dash) has figured a way to keep the wifi on after switching the car off?

I want to enable cloud services on my dashcam (BlackVue DR650GW) and need internet access available for this to work.

I know there is probably battery drain considerations in using the Audi in car solution, but thought ld ask anyway

I may just buy a portable mifi device and leave it hidden in the car, but wanted to explore using the Audi solution first, since it's already there.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John.

John, been searching forums for this as well and appears not able to do this yet. Option appears to be battery pack and mifi. I think I read that some lithium batteries can last up to 24 hours if only for Mifi.

Bryan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was speaking to @DJAlix about car tracker some time ago and he advised great/simple/odd method to do.

Use your old smartphone. Well, not so old so it's still able to do simple things you want it to do.

Set it up on silence, no vibration and all this, with data sim only or high on data contract sim inserted and set it for it's hotspot (internet tethering).
You can possibly get it powered constantly from battery pack that supply your dash cam so it doesn't drain your car's battery much. Didn't look into that yet but will check if power drain would be lower with batt pack or directly from car charger.

iPhones can do the simple "locate the iPhone" service that should be ok with tracker solution and hotspot also.