Audi POI Special Destinations - Another way to do it

pjeffe9172

Reaction score
Ok guys (and girls), so I along with many have you have had months of frustration trying to get POI Special Destinations (mainly speed cameras) to work since Audi removed the feature from their site.

You will see many posts where some can get it to work and others can't. My MY16 A4 TDI worked fine and yet my brand new RS4 would say "Database not supported in not compatible". I had subscribed to another year of pocketgpsworld for £20 so was keen to get this to work.

I had used the McAddy app and this would give me the error message above. So after several hours of playing around I managed to get the speed cameras installed via USB just now! Its a simple system, and not too complex, so I hope it helps many others keep safe:

1) Format a USB stick or SD Card to FAT32 (ideally less than 4gb - Audi recommend this!)
2) Download a database from www.pocketgpsworld.com. I downloaded the following:

Version: Other - CSV
Include pMobile Files: Yes (these are user added that are not verified)
Camera Selection: UK - Consolidated by Type (Gatso,Mobile,etc)​

3) click download, then save the zip file then extract it to a location on your computer
4) Download a program called POI base from https://www.poibase.com/en/download-poibase/
5) Register for an account and then log in.
6) Go to Download -> Download POIs -> My private POIs -> Manage my POI categories (at the bottom of the screen)
7) I think you get 5 free POI categories, but I paid 4.95 Euros for 20 categories. The speed cameras will use 5 (Gatso, Mobile, pMobile, red light cameras, specs)
8) Click 'Add POI Category'
9) Type in the category name without spaces but can use underscore _ e.g. Gatso_Camera
10) On the image select click on 'choose file' next to the 22x22px, point this to the bitmap image in your extracted zip file for gatso.
11) Click on 'choose file' under the POI File section. Point this to the CSV file for Gatso in your extracted zip file.
12) Scroll down and click on 'add POI category'.
13) Repeat steps 8-12 for Mobile, pMobile, red light cameras and specs
14) You may see an hour glass next your categories, this will turn to a pen and submit when they have been processed and ready for export to the USB.
15) Click back (at the bottom left of the screen) or My private POIs in the pathway at the top of the screen.
16) If you scroll to the bottom of the screen you will see your POIs now listed. Click add against each of these and then synchronise. This installs to the USB (or SD Card).
17) Insert the USB/SD into your car and then on the MMI do the following: NAV/MAP button> left control button > Special destinations > myAudi special destinations right control button > Import myAudi special destinations

All being well it installs and then says you are successful. Then select the Special Destinations to show and then to alert you when nearby (if required).

I hope this helps guys. It seems fairly similar to old myaudi process to install onto USB/SD.

Cheers

Phil

Reactions: martinivw, andy203, SimonAudi and 5 others
This worked perfectly, thank you so much.

I encountered the same issue as you when trying the McAddy method, I assume as my car (MY2018 S4) is also on the same problematic software version. And having paid for a Pocket GPS World subscription, I too was keen to make it work!

A small suggestion for your otherwise excellent step by step - it wasn't immediately obvious to me that I needed to, or how to, add the USB as a device under the Audi category. Once I figured that out it was plain sailing.

I also note that the limit for POI's per category is 5000, which prevents the Mobile category from loading all 8000ish POI's. I wonder if this could be rectified by splitting it into two? For now I have the first 5000 loaded and the final 3000ish missing, no major issue. Unless I'm missing something?

Regardless, I now have working symbols and audible alerts for the five various camera types in the MMI and VC views, and I was pleased to see them working on Google Earth view too.

Thanks again for this.

Hi J_Mitch84 I’m glad you found it useful.

Thanks for the addition too. I didn’t encounter that problem is I paid the €4.95 (£4.59) which provides a 20,000 limit so it’s a good point to raise. You could split the cvs file into 2 and list them both, that would be a workaround but then you are limited to 5 categories so something would need to go. Maybe they have that in their strategy.....

I’m not sure what the issue was, but it got incredibly frustrating. Let’s hope many others are helped by this.

Another happy user of this method.....THANKS!

I'm not sure how to install voice alerts though? I'd appreciate any help in doing this please.

THANKS! Worked like a charm, however, it also notifies me cameras on other side of road. Any way to fix that?

I’m glad it worked well for you. Unfortunately there isn’t a way you can turn this off. The Audi nav system doesn’t work on a directional basis just purely on ‘in the vicinity’.

Hi

Do you know if this will work with Audi a6 standard mmi (sd card)?

VP

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I don’t see why not, it simply says Audi rather than model specific IIRC. You could try it using the free 5 category option to see first?

Thanks for getting back to me. Is there a small file that I can download from pocketgps to try before paying £20 just in case it doesn't work. I am new to this so if you could let me know which file I can try that will be very be helpful. Thanks

Great work!!!, can you turn audable on and off for special destinations I.e the speed cameras that I've done or do you have to do activate it in poibase beforehand???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don't get audible alerts even though I have got the symbols???? Audi b9 s4 2018

Mine didn't work as I don't get the option to import special destinations. Oh well!

Thanks for getting back to me. Is there a small file that I can download from pocketgps to try before paying £20 just in case it doesn't work. I am new to this so if you could let me know which file I can try that will be very be helpful. Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. No if you want the speed cameras you would need the annual subscription. If you wanted to try maybe just download a couple of free POIs that are available on websites.

I don't get audible alerts even though I have got the symbols???? Audi b9 s4 2018

You need to turn on the sound notification within the MMI. I seem to recall if you go into the map settings, it is in there as a 'play tone when near POI' and then you select the ones you want the sound on. Your cameras will be listed

Yeah I get audible now , but it only makes noise when ya 90 yards from supposed speed camera??? Any way to adjust it????

A6 C7 2018 MY.

Hi Phil

Sorry for being a typical newbe!, I am struggling to find the download for the database from Pocket GPS, I have paid my £20 subscription, but cannot find where the right database is to down load, it seems to list every model but not Audi MMI.

I have a 2019 Q7 50, could you point me in the right direction please?

Cheers Gavin

Last edited:
Yeah I get audible now , but it only makes noise when ya 90 yards from supposed speed camera??? Any way to adjust it????

Which data package did you download, I have been looking but cannot find the one that relates to Audi

I downloaded exactly as author decribed m8 at start of threqd and used POIbase Audi??

I downloaded exactly as author decribed m8 at start of threqd and used POIbase Audi??

Mate I gone through Pocket GPS I don't know how many times and cannot find it. My head is starting to hurt from hitting the brick wall lol

Does anyone know if this will work on the new B9 facelift 2019 A4s - have the tech pack.

cheers

I came across this on another forum. I've not used myself so I can't vouch for it.

http://www.speedcamupdates.com/
Wow great find!

It has the A4 B9 MMI plus listed too and the instructions sound spot on, more so than you’d expect from a bogus site.

Inclined to think it’s legit, but I’d love to know if anyone has tried it successfully. For £13 via PayPal I’m tempted, but I’m more worried about importing bad data into my MMI than wasting £13.

Attachments

• 20190406_105809.jpg
    20190406_105809.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 466
Hi all - found this video of how to install with PocketGPSWorld and POIBase (the same method as Phil lists above) -

Reactions: Jigs, martinivw, zayn81 and 2 others
I have tried just like the guy is the video.. after i have done the installation then i don't get any of the speed camera in when i go into the map content. Does anyone have any suggestions?

my audi is a a3 8v 2015 mmi plus
regards

I think your mmi system is different to the one fitted to our B9's. But whether that makes any difference to loading up the camera information I don't know...

I Think i got it now after all. But do you know if this can be done on a A6 c7 from 2012 with no Audi connect but it’s has 2 micro card ports?

I Think i got it now after all. But do you know if this can be done on a A6 c7 from 2012 with no Audi connect but it’s has 2 micro card ports?
I'm afraid it's not possible, you need the technology package in order to import POI's.

Thank you, This has worked for me 2018 S4 . Really like the notification 80 yds before notice. :smiley:

Hi all - found this video of how to install with PocketGPSWorld and POIBase (the same method as Phil lists above) -

Got the message, "The updates are not compatible or outdated", on my 2018 Audi Q7, USA, North America. Did not work for me. Follow the video direction without any error, Any idea why?

Fantastic video thanks!
A couple of questions regarding arrival notifications:
1. Is it possible to change the distance that the warning is received before the speed camera?
2. Is it possible to change the volume level of the notification tone?
thanks for any help out there!

Reactions: Jigs
Worked fine previously, now when I try it the MMI is not giving me the option to do a system update - it is greyed out ... any ideas?

Ok guys (and girls), so I along with many have you have had months of frustration trying to get POI Special Destinations (mainly speed cameras) to work since Audi removed the feature from their site.

You will see many posts where some can get it to work and others can't. My MY16 A4 TDI worked fine and yet my brand new RS4 would say "Database not supported in not compatible". I had subscribed to another year of pocketgpsworld for £20 so was keen to get this to work.

I had used the McAddy app and this would give me the error message above. So after several hours of playing around I managed to get the speed cameras installed via USB just now! Its a simple system, and not too complex, so I hope it helps many others keep safe:

1) Format a USB stick or SD Card to FAT32 (ideally less than 4gb - Audi recommend this!)
2) Download a database from www.pocketgpsworld.com. I downloaded the following:

Version: Other - CSV
Include pMobile Files: Yes (these are user added that are not verified)
Camera Selection: UK - Consolidated by Type (Gatso,Mobile,etc)​

3) click download, then save the zip file then extract it to a location on your computer
4) Download a program called POI base from https://www.poibase.com/en/download-poibase/
5) Register for an account and then log in.
6) Go to Download -> Download POIs -> My private POIs -> Manage my POI categories (at the bottom of the screen)
7) I think you get 5 free POI categories, but I paid 4.95 Euros for 20 categories. The speed cameras will use 5 (Gatso, Mobile, pMobile, red light cameras, specs)
8) Click 'Add POI Category'
9) Type in the category name without spaces but can use underscore _ e.g. Gatso_Camera
10) On the image select click on 'choose file' next to the 22x22px, point this to the bitmap image in your extracted zip file for gatso.
11) Click on 'choose file' under the POI File section. Point this to the CSV file for Gatso in your extracted zip file.
12) Scroll down and click on 'add POI category'.
13) Repeat steps 8-12 for Mobile, pMobile, red light cameras and specs
14) You may see an hour glass next your categories, this will turn to a pen and submit when they have been processed and ready for export to the USB.
15) Click back (at the bottom left of the screen) or My private POIs in the pathway at the top of the screen.
16) If you scroll to the bottom of the screen you will see your POIs now listed. Click add against each of these and then synchronise. This installs to the USB (or SD Card).
17) Insert the USB/SD into your car and then on the MMI do the following: NAV/MAP button> left control button > Special destinations > myAudi special destinations right control button > Import myAudi special destinations

All being well it installs and then says you are successful. Then select the Special Destinations to show and then to alert you when nearby (if required).

I hope this helps guys. It seems fairly similar to old myaudi process to install onto USB/SD.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil, worked a treat on my new Q5 Black, with Tech pack. Have a question, when I update my system with an updated speed camera data, do I have to delete my POIs of special interest first before doing the update of the MMI, maps? Or do I just load the new data over the top of existing?

Last edited:
Worked fine previously, now when I try it the MMI is not giving me the option to do a system update - it is greyed out ... any ideas?
Hi Craig, mine did this. I had to wait a few minutes for the MMI to kick in. Interestingly I found I had to put the USB stick in USB slot 2 under the armrest....not sure if this helps?

Reactions: martinivw