Audi powerhouse to take on Porsche and Aston Martin- New £60k 420bhp

• Thread starter imported_Yaseen
  • Start date
I

imported_Yaseen

Audi is about to launch the strongest challenge yet to Porsche’s dominance of the high-end sports car market with a new £60,000 mid-engined two-seater. The car is expected to have four-wheel drive and be built of lightweight aluminium, with a powerful new 420bhp V8 engine that will easily outgun the 355bhp Porsche 911 Carrera S.

It is expected to be called the Audi Le Mans quattro in honour of the car maker’s recent record in the French 24-hour race – Audi has won four of the last five – and the 2003 concept car of the same name (right) which has provided the design inspiration.

The car should hit 60mph in less than 4.5sec and have a top speed of about 190mph, though Audi will restrict it to 155mph. It is expected to reach Britain early in 2007 and will pose a challenge not only to Porsche but also to Aston Martin’s £79,000 “baby” Vantage.

Martin Winterkorn, Audi’s chief executive, tested a prototype nine days ago and was impressed enough to order the car into production. “I drove the prototype and I decided there and then — we will make this car,” he said. Winterkorn predicted the production car would share “at least 80%” of the concept car’s styling. “I want it to be a hero car,” he said.

About 4,000 Le Mans quattros will be built per year, of which around 400 will come to Britain. The car is likely to be shown for the first time at the Paris Motor Show in September.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1590743,00.html (@TdI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif)

It had better handle better than any other VAG product, or they will be laughed off...

Porsche customers tend to place dynamics and handling top of the list...not the terminally understeering chassis of VAG cars.

As for outgunning the 911...
Maybe in a straight line...perhaps on a track...but heritage? Feel? Driver envolvement?

Time will tell...

[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread-Crap-ComicBookGuy.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

TDI- if the arrival of a new audi bores you then you need help!!. Luckily I know just the guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

click :)

Maybe it's a cry for help.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

Maybe its all that spining on yer head that does it.... He..he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

It sounds like it will share a lot of parts with the new RS4 (well, engine) which supposedly will be the first Audi in a good few years to actually handle, as Glen said we shall see...

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like it will share a lot of parts with the new RS4 (well, engine) which supposedly will be the first Audi in a good few years to actually handle,

[/ QUOTE ]

But will this be 'actually handle' compared to all other VAG Cars? Or 'actually handle' compared to the tactile delights of the best out there in it's target sector?
High spec Boxter Ss, 996s, 997s and the like...(baby Aston included)

Will it deliver thrills like the precision toys: Elise/Exige...

Will it deliver the experience of the fun/scarey sportscars with excess visual drama like the TVRs...

Undoubtedly any such vehicle will be sublimely built, and go very well...but will it be enough?
Will it excite?
Get the adrenaline pumping?
Stirr the soul?

I genuinely hope so...

[ QUOTE ]

as Glen said we shall see...

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed we shall...

[ QUOTE ]

But will this be 'actually handle' compared to all other VAG Cars? Or 'actually handle' compared to the tactile delights of the best out there in it's target sector?
High spec Boxter Ss, 996s, 997s and the like...(baby Aston included)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for the RS4 the M3 is the obvious car to aim for, I reckon Audi has been stung by the criticism it's received for it's "sporty" cars recently, and they're obviously an ambitious campany. Mixing the traditional Audi strong points with a new found dynamic ability, they could easily steel a large number of sales from Porsche/BMW etc. There seems to be some good points, like the rear-biased Quattro (even if it reduces absolute grip), they seem to be pointing in the right direction. And if they do release a car to compete with a 911, and Aston, then they should know what they have to do. A mid-engined car in that price-bracket is a bold statement, Audi won't want a flop. It HAS to be able to compete, and surely Audi know this... Hopefully it will be a "mini" Gallado?

Anyways, I'm excited. It's these "sort-of-affordable" supercars that I can aspire to owning, maybe a 2nd hand one in a few years time... something more exciting than dreaming of a car that will never happen (Ferrari, Lambo etc.)