Q7 Audi Q7 MMI problem

shaz

Reaction score
Hi guys. Hoping someone can shed some light on my problem with the MMI in my q7.

Basically was working fine up until a week ago..

Then when connected to iphone it kept saying initialising device, please wait...

But it wouldn't load up the music files on my phone.

Been messing about with the control and since then now it doesn't even show the connection/device. It just stays on the CD changer section and I cannot get it to find the phone.

Not sure if it's a fault with the MMI or the actual wire/cable.

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can help

May need a firmware update. Mine was similar before I updated. The second disc in the update set will need to Be loaded twice as it's more complex.

Silly question but have you reset your MMI?

Yes Iv tried the reset process pressing the 3 buttons - no luck

Any idea how to update the firmware?

Yes you need to order it from Audi. You need a part number and just call up your local dealer and place order. It comes up as a "repair kit"

Have you got 2g or 3G MMI?

I'm not sure if it's 2g or 3G? Iv only had it a few weeks.

Anyway I can tell.

Depends on the year of your manufacture. Mine is a 2007 q7 so it's a 2g later models are 3G

If it's a DVD nav then it's a 2g
If it's a HDD nav then it's a 3g

Mine a 2008/57 reg. I think the nav is DVD in boot.

Iv never used the NAV.

So is it a dealer only repair kit for the firmware? Also how much did it set you back?

Cheers

But it wouldn't load up the music files on my phone.

Been messing about with the control and since then now it doesn't even show the connection/device. It just stays on the CD changer section and I cannot get it to find the phone.

As you have MMI 2G, the only thing BT does is to make and received phone calls, you cannot play or stream music via the BT connection, and the latest firmware won't resolve the issue, it is a limitation of MMI 2G.

Hmmm. I'm lost, it was working fine then it just said initialising device for ages and now it doesn't read the MMI cable / iphone at all.

I have an iphone cable for my MMI but never used it as I use a hard drive that plugs directly into my MMI and controls of the screen.
Originally the Usb interface wouldn't work as my firmware version didn't support usb interface. An update to 5570 enabled the usb interface and now works a treat.

Maybe you would be better of ditching the phone connection and run a hard drive with all your music on that.

Sorry sound like you were trying to connect the iphone via BT for music.... My bad.

So the fault you have is an AMI fault. If you disconnect all the cables in the AMI and select CD/TV (Media) do you get Audi Music interface in the list, if not it sounds the the AMI module has gone wrong, I would first start be removing the FUSE for the AMI then give it 10 second and plug the fuse back in, the hole MMI system will turn off when you remove the fuse, and will restart when you put the fuse back. If you still don't get the AMI listed in sources then it could be dead and need replacing, you could try a firmware updated but again in it's not showing up in the MOST bus then the only option is to replace.

It's worth updating anyway only £7

Before trying to update the OP should state what firmware he is on as it could have already been updated. 55.7.0 has been around for 7 years

Thanks guys, il check in the morning which firmware im using...

Any idea where the fuse is for the MMI system?

If my ami lead was faulty I'm assuming the option would still be under the media section..?

It will say in the back of the manual where and which fuse it as there are dozens of them on the Q7. Yes with the cable disconnected you should still see Audi Music Interface

Well it's Defo not updated 0507 or something like that was the software version.

I will have to look into getting the updated cd from Audi...

Can you post a picture up of your software version, as 0507 is not a version, you must be running a minimum 34.6.0 if you have AMI, anything less and AMI would not even be detected.

Sorry guys not had chance to upload the pic... Attached now.
8c343c551024da1634c5df3a76496bd0.jpg

Yeah il ring my local dealer about the CDs.

There's a site online where you can download the three CDs for free is it worth using them or just buy from the dealer... They're not expensive anyway

Be carful downloading and burning to cd. If they are corrupted it will brick your system. They are cheap enough at the dealers.

Good decision Don't forget load the 2 disc twice (phone prep cd) just to make sure it's all loaded properly. Also defo connect a battery charger to your car whilst doing the update as it will drain. The whole process takes a while.
Good luck and keep us posted on the progress

Ah that's the other issue, my car has a weak battery because the alternator died a couple months back, since then the battery has been weak.

The battery is under the passenger seat? Am I correct? Would it be better to connect the charger to the points under the bonnet.?

Cheers

You should only connect a charger to the points under the bonnet.

Hi guys, now I'm really puzzled

Spoke to my local dealer and they've said they never never heard of the 5570 update for MMI,

The only thing he could offer me was a 2015 Navigation disc part number 4E0 060 884 DT.

Gave him my reg plate and that was the only update that he could offer me.

I gave him the part number from the link above 4L0 998 961 and that wouldn't come up on the system.

I don't think they want to sell it to you mate. Trust me it is available

It comes up as a repair kit. Don't mention anything about MMI upgrade as they don't like it. Is there another dealer local you can try? See my pics below

7315b480595eea4213aea8e4669dd5d4.jpg
3d7a8377c47c4a48d0d31d5238a7b115.jpg
443cdb923e8e2f40e8e9fedf1680ffec.jpg

Iv just rang Audi customer service and gave them the part number, same issue. She said there's no such thing as a Audi MMI upgrade, she even went to ask a manager of some sort came back to me and said if there's any software going round it's not an Audi item and its a aftermarket item which they wouldn't recommend.

I kept telling her it is a genuine Audi item but unfortunately she just fobbed me off

Back to square one.

If you are still struggling I will send my cd set up to you if u cover me postage costs. Let me know

Thanks mate, your pics are a good help as I'm going to email the disc pic to customer services, if they don't help then I will take you up on your offer, and once used il post back

No worries Shaz, keep me posted

Don't send the pic with the receipt in it as its states that I got it from Halesowen Audi and I'd hate for them to get in trouble. They have been good to me in the past. Cheers