Audi R8

Macduff

Reaction score
Saw one in the flesh for the first time yesterday at Aberdeen Audi. I must say that it doesn't do much for me. The side view is hideous with that great big lump of carbon fibre behind the door

Is it just me???

Nah, doesn't work for me either.

911's the daddy, always has been, always will be.

Saw one at Birmingham Audi on Sunday £98314 on the road. Sorry I wouldn't spend that on an Audi. Nice though but not as nice as an RS4 Avant!!:tocktock: :applaus:

S3 Dave said:
Saw one at Birmingham Audi on Sunday £98314 on the road. Sorry I wouldn't spend that on an Audi. Nice though but not as nice as an RS4 Avant!!:tocktock: :applaus:
Woot, thought they were closer to £80k, deffo wouldnt spend 100k on one.

Haven't drove it but read a lot of reviews and its a supercar without the pricetag....sub zero

I too saw one In B'ham Audi, after that I had to vote sub-zero, if I had 100k i'd buy one:)

Macduff said:
OMG that looks even worse than the silver one with the carbon fibre behind the doors. :puke2:

Looks nice and different, the wheels just finish it perfectly...

Just picked up my 3 month old A3 2.0Turbo this afternoon from an Audi dealer, and they had a R8 in the process of being sold. It was in black, but the carbon sides were in dark grey, almost the same colour as the rest of the car. It looked stunning, if i had the money, it would be sat on my drive instead of the A3.

*Edit* The R8 was started up just feet from were i was sat, and the noise was orgasmic. I want one!!!!!!

I saw the one at aberdeen audi and thought it looks awesome. then the guy started it up and I agree with nwhiteley- the noise was orgasmic!

Each to their own I guess, but it def works for me!

It looks better when the plastic is in a more compatible colour with the rest of the car - there are options. Grey goes nice with black.

Base car is 76k but with the must haves the "base is 92K" - ouch.

Needs V10, which comes next year, to get away from RS4 , what will be the resale value of the current V8's? Clash with Gallardo market?

Yes 911 is more affordable but only because its been around longer.

Having had a 911, I am no Tiff Needel, driving on the limit was scary!!!
So the mid engine layout would be better.

Consumation would be a problem R8 sub 18mpg, most 911 owners I know get 24+mpg

paul.malin said:
It looks better when the plastic is in a more compatible colour with the rest of the car - there are options. Grey goes nice with black.

Agreed. It's a bit like the Veyron. Some colour combinations on it look hideous but others are just right. Personally I don't like the huge contrast between a silver car and black carbon fibre or the black car above with the silver trim.

paul.malin said:
Consumation would be a problem R8 sub 18mpg, most 911 owners I know get 24+mpg

Do people who buy these cars care? Is the R8 any better/worse than the RS4 for mpg?

Not when they buy new and its probably a 2nd car.

The only way I could afford the 911 as it was my everyday car, was to buy one 4 years old ( same price as a new A4 3.0 con) and it did 24 mpg.

They probably dont care but it was the only way I could get it passed by the domestic management!

nice but its either a cut down lambo or jazzed up TT... would perfer RS6 if and when released or for a bit extra dosh a real lambo

Cool imho, but not sub zero

There's certainly no way i'd pay that for an Audi. If I had that kinda £ to spend it'd be Ferrari or Lambo ;)

Or I'd spend £30k on a RS4 Avant, £20k Evo 6.5 Tommi Mak Monte Carlo, a used £25k Hummer H2 & a £10k Caterham. Then with the left over £15k i'd have to have a HUGE garage built to get them all in ;)

Craig :cool:

Just been at Aberdeen Audi to get a window switch replaced. Talking to one of the guys there, they've sold 30 R8s so they're going to be common as muck around here. If I could, I'd downgrade my vote from uncool to seriously uncool!

Forget about the way it looks; this is a car that EVO reckoned was as good as a 911. That's really saying something, and means Audi is now starting to take driver involvement and satisfaction seriously at last.

^^^no it doesnt

evo and all the mags gave the B7 RS4 excellent reviews... audi's response was to build the so so S6 and S3, the S5 is hardly setting the world alight with its reviews either.
Agree with the rest of your post though...

absolute dream machine live in Puerto Rico will probably never see one but I am keeping my fingers crossed

I had a good nose around one in Bedford Audi on Monday. I must say I was hugely underwhelmed; I'd expect a great deal more visual impact from a car that costs that much! I agree with those that think it will be easily mistaken for a new TT.

Mind you, I didn't hear the engine running...

ButchsTT said:
absolute dream machine live in Puerto Rico will probably never see one but I am keeping my fingers crossed

sod looking out for audis mate!

If I lived in Puerto Rico I'd be out shagging latina hotties every night!

Much as I like the looks and the idea of the R8, it isn't cool. Supercars, or supercar alternatives like it, just can't ever be cool.

Except in an engineering sense. You can admire the technology.
But by that logic, you would end up saying certain software packages are cool, because of how cleverly they work.
Or an extremely comfy chair, or an iPod.

Impressive, yes. Cleverly engineerined.

Cool, never.

Spotted 1 today in Wakefield, or was it yesterday!!:think: Can't remember what day exactly, prob due to me doing loads of different shifts this week!!

Anyways, looked very nice as it came cruising off of the J39 M1 roundabout. Still wouldn't pay £100k for a beefed up TT tho ;)

beautiful car, great handling and fast... i like these but agree with the price tag issue... id rather get a 911 turbo for that cash

Having seen one in the metal and in motion, I think they are 'Cool'! :cool:

It's also been voted as 'Best Handling Car' by Autocar Magazine recently which can't be bad. :racer:

craigynett said:
Compared against which other cars? Or do they mean best handling carever?

Sorry!, my bad, it's best(in production) driver's car 2007, for use on and off track, including wet track. It's better to drive than a Porsche 911 GT3 RS apparently.

yes, that is what I do... but need to have some day time activity:yahoo: you need to have some re-gerenation time if you know what I mean:asskicking: :beerchug:

OK, the looks are subjective, but having driven one, on circuit, it is an awesome car. Sounds great, bullet proof brakes and the usual understated but high quality interior. As a drivers car, it's up there.

DJ

djmotorsport said:
OK, the looks are subjective, but having driven one, on circuit, it is an awesome car. Sounds great, bullet proof brakes and the usual understated but high quality interior. As a drivers car, it's up there.

DJ

Have also had the IMMENSE pleasure of driving one of these Teutonically handsome cars on circuit and agree with DJ. Have driven RS6 and RS4 amongst other more exotic machinery. The R8 is one of the finest cars I have driven ever and deserves all the praise it has had from the media.

Tank

djmotorsport said:
I don't care what it looks like or if it's 'cool/not cool' for other ethereal reasons.

It's a fantastic driving tool which means it's cool (to me).
Which is all "cool" is, after all. One person's opinion.

IMHO, cool is all about the indefinable, ethereal "something" that a cool thing has, and an uncool thing doesn't.

If the R8 is designed to be a fabulous handling car, and turns out in practice to be a fabulous handling car - marvellous, a successful design. But my house is full of utensils and devices that handle their job description with aplomb. That on it's own doesn't make my tin-opener cool, or my Sky box. Or my sofa.

Cool is a quality over and above fulfilling the adequate function requirement, and into a zone of directly affecting our emotions. And I mean affecting them beyond the level of the pure function in it's own right. I can achieve the perception of travelling very fast, with delightfully balanced handling, at the controls of a go kart. The emotions it arouses (oo-er) are real enough, but are nothing beyond the emotions engendered by the experience itself.

It doesn't make the go kart cool.

The R8 is a fantastic piece of kit. I would love to own one, and would be proud to have it on my drive. I can admire it, I can be in awe of the technicalities of it, but I don't see it as cool in the way I do a Lancia Integrale or a DC2 Integra.

Just my 2p.

:salute: