Audi RS5 B8.5 exhaust guidance (Capristo vs JHM vs Kline)

klontje

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am the happy new owner of an Audi RS5 B8.5 which I imported from Switzerland where it had full dealer service its entire life, and just under 50k miles (80.000km) on the odometer. I had it fully checked and carbon cleaned (walnut blasting) last week and it's running just perfect. The only thing that I would like is for it to make a little more noise with the valves open (it currently has the stock Audi Sport exhaust with valves fitted to it). My number one requirement is that it does not make significantly more noise with the valves closed then it currently does due to noise regulations. Valves open I don't mind turning heads, and if we can get some more performance out of it that's awesome too.

As I live in Europe exhausts coming from the US are a possibility, but do add around 30% to the total cost of the exhaust due to import duties and VAT. I do not want to spend more than around 3000-4000 euro on the exhaust system.

The systems that are on my shortlist:
  • JHM full system (with downpipes, x-pipe, 2.75" diameter)
  • Capristo (available in Europe for around €3500/$4200 including shipping/taxes) with mid silencer
  • Capristo without mid silencer (they offer a set with pipes instead of the silencer)
  • Kline full system in stainless steel (the Inconel version is too expensive)
I would love to hear everybody's opinions on the aspects of tone, volume, and performance. I know all these systems are of great quality, and I also know the Capristo adds around 15-20bhp and the JHM 20-30bhp. From what I have read so far the Capristo can be a bit blarry, but I also heard people about the JHM not offering a massive bump in sound volume and the Capristo making a bit more noise. If anybody has heard both the Capristo (with or without mid-silencer) and the JHM, or Capristo with and without mid-silencer that would be much appreciated.

Armytrix and AWE I crossed off the list, mainly because of too much noise, drone, and build quality for the Armytrix, and the AWE not offering a valved solution.

Hi Klontje - did you make a decision/purchase in the end? I have the Capristo on my RS5 (UK).

Hi Ponster, I did and I didn't; I ended up buying a pair of (second hand) JHM 2.75" downpipes + x-pipe. Ideally want to combine them with the Capristo with middle silencer delete but can't get myself to pull the trigger on the price yet, so decided to first listen how the stock exhaust is going to sound with that JHM DP/X-Pipe before purchasing the Capristo.

edit: the JHM stuff is going on end of August.

I was planning to swap out my Capristo system for stock pipes before selling the RS5 and possibly upgrading to another Audi. So if you're ever in the UK, we can coordinate a swap ;)

Ah, I do want to keep the original exhaust for exactly the same reason, if I ever want to sell the car I can bring it back to stock as usually you will not see any money off of the mods if they're still on. If you end up buying an Audi exhaust somehow and are selling the Capristo let me know!

Yeah makes sense. I sold the OEM exhaust as it was too ****** big for my garage, which I now regret. In terms of sound, it's fantastic. With valves closed you'd have no idea, open it up in dynamic mode and holy moly, goosebumps every time!

Reactions: charlieRS5
Yeah makes sense. I sold the OEM exhaust as it was too ****** big for my garage, which I now regret. In terms of sound, it's fantastic. With valves closed you'd have no idea, open it up in dynamic mode and holy moly, goosebumps every time!
Hi mate, still got the exhaust? I got the B8.5 RS5 convertible, we can do a swap if you still have the car