Audi S1 - What Engine Is It?

Shorty_rs

Reaction score
Been confusing me for a while this and having a quick look online can't seem to answer my question.

What engine is in the S1? I originally thought it was the TFSI K04 lump out of 8P S3's, the Audi site does actually say a TFSI too rather than a TSI.

But someone told me that it was the same engine as the new 8V/Golf R - The 300ps engine just de tuned.

Orrrr, could it be a GTI engine? It makes the same power as the Mk7 GTI with PP anyway?

Any ideas?

I think a detuned with slightly different internals of the S3 and R engine.

It's the Golf GTI engine.

Which is the same engine as the Golf R/S3 but they have slightly uprated internals.

That's cool. So on a stage 1 Revo/APR would see 310-320bhp, fast!

Would of been cool if it was the S3/R engine, 360bhp just off a stage 1 would be unreal!

Yep! I'm stage 1'ing mine, and putting an exhaust on. As you say, expecting just over 300bhp - in a go kart!

alot of tuners are struggling at the minute as they got the golf R as a development car for maps and were hoping they could just tweak it a little to put on to other cars with the same engine but all the maps on the cars (with the same engine S1/S3/GTI etc) all have severely different ecu maps on them as standard and some cars have been throwing wobbly's with the apparently 'generic' maps

I know from speaking to a guy at AITP Revo are having to get an S1 in as a development car as the maps are going to be so different. good in some ways as the map shouldn't take so long to be installed then tweaked for your individual car on the road test but it may take a while for them to release an official S1 map :(

Watching this thread with keen interest :)

Does anyone have any hard facts? Not just speculation?
A friend was at Revo HQ last week, and they'd just taken in an S1 for development, Revo are under the impression its the same engine as the new 300ps Golf R

It's well reported by now that the S1 has the same engine/tune as the GTI. I've spoken with a couple of tuners, including ones which have had dev cars int he last few weeks and they all confirmed.

Well the engines are VERY similar - they are both EA888, but the R has mildly uprated internals (pistons, connecting rods, lighter weight head). Both engines are sensibly tuneable to similar figures, the R engine only capable of slightly more (20-30bhp).

Suppose I will have to wait and see what the tuners come out with. I'm really hoping the new Polo R is coming with DSG (and the Golf R engine)

Polo R will be the same engine as the S1, that's already known. It may well come with DSG though. Be interesting to see if VW think the supposed lack of customers/weight penalty Audi sighted as their reasons for not offering it apply to them as well - I expect they will offer it on the basis Audi didn't knowing there will be the people that didn't get the S1 as they wanted S-Tronic.

Seems very logical. If they are coming with DSG I'm having one for sure!
You heard of a launch date? Can't find anything other than sept/ oct on the net.

It's going to be LHD only... So if you want it you'll be importing it and paying a premium on insurance...

Last I read (in Feb) the prototype was given to some journo's to play with but the plan was for no RHD version to be made for the UK... Might have changed since but a quick Google just now shows only the latest news being back from Feb still.

I very much doubt they will be left hand drive only, since when have VW ever done that before? If they are making the Polo R, we will get it. I just hope it's DSG

It may be that it's too difficult to move stuff around to make it RHD - however as they have managed it with the S1 which is the same car I would be surprised if this is the case. We shall have to see, VW are being very quiet about it all - some rumours actually say it won't appear at all this year so as not to compete with the S1. This would make some sense, as the A1 is due an all new model in the 18-24 months, so the Polo R coming next year would plug the gap as the S1 is removed from sale (as the new model A1 would likely not have an S1 from day 1). As I say, we shall see, it's all rumours and speculation for now.

My friend works in TPS. I had him check a few things.

The S1 has a different engine code to S3 AND GTI Golf, but the part numbers of the turbos are the same on S1 and GTI.

So it is a GTI engine. Even still, 310-315bhp on a stage 1 before any hardware mods is good, especially in such a small car.

Reactions: josedebardi
Just had word back from a friend who works in VW parts, engine will be a 888 gen 3
Same as the golf R

Yes, but the Golf GTI/R, Audi S3, Skoda Octavia vRS etc etc all use the EA888 Gen 3 - but with slightly different internals/turbos.
As Shorty_rs has actually had someone check the engine codes, it seems clear it is definitely NOT the same engine as the R, but has the same turbo as the GTI, so it's closest relative is the GTI, NOT the R...

As an example, all these engine codes are EA888 - CAEA, CAEB, CAWB, CCZA, CDNB, CDNC. The different codes denote the subtle differences in internals/turbo used etc.

Just had word back from a friend who works in VW parts, engine will be a 888 gen 3
Same as the golf R

As usual then - VW staff never get the detail right. Shocking how little the staff in these companies know about their own products

Last edited:
Must be Google

Reactions: josedebardi
CAKA is a 3.0 V6 supercharged out of the S4/S5... So can't be that!

Reactions: Pulp84
You can find some pretty convincing hard evidence about all sorts on Google. For example - the moon landings was filmed in a hanger, Aliens live at Area 51 and my personal favourite one being that MH17 wasn't shot down by a Russian missile.

You can also find total ******* about the EA888 engine on Google too.

As much as you / your mate would like it to be - the S1 engine is not shared with the R or S3.