Audi S3 8L Haldex problems.

Kristaps Klavins

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have interesting problem with my gen 1 Haldex.
4x4 is working all the time, but when car is cold then its showing fault and ESP light is on (01324- Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492) and 01312 - Powertrain Data Buss 37-10- Faulty- Intermittent)). After i drive at least 25 km and restart the car ,both faults are gone (No faults on VCDS). Also in summer time, no problems at all, no faults , but at the autumn , problems start coming up.
Maybe someone have similar problems and have some solution , tips, where to start ,what to check?
Thanks.

How do you know the haldex is engaged all the time ?
do you have the full lock reverse , bunny hop ?
when was the oil and filter changed ?

Check the wiring plug that goes into the Haldex controller. Those pins can corrode and cause intermittent communication with the rest of the Haldex system.

Reactions: b2
How do you know the haldex is engaged all the time ?
do you have the full lock reverse , bunny hop ?
when was the oil and filter changed ?

here, the faults is on.
There isn't bunny hop, everything is ok, only faults, when its cold.
Oil, and filters, changed last time 65000 km ago, that can cause this kinda problems?

Oil, and filters, changed last time 65000 km ago, ???

By oil and filters , I mean the oil in the haldex and the screw in filter on the top of the
unit, need one of the odd shaped spanners to get out .. should be every 2 years
or more often if the car is 'used' .if the filter is blocked , system will not work

comes as a kit , oil , seal , filter , oil in a cartridge , £70 ish -(

Check the wiring plug that goes into the Haldex controller. Those pins can corrode and cause intermittent communication with the rest of the Haldex system.

From the symptoms you described I would definitely look for corroded Haldex earth strap and corroded Haldex connectors. I had same fault code, I replaced my earth strap with a new cable and repaired the connector and hey presto.

Done everything , still fault codes is on.
Change oil, filter and earth strap.
Check the connectors.

Now i will look for good used Haldex controller.

Don’t forget to also think about replacing the Pre-charge pump. In my experience these actually wear out more often than the controllers, but maybe not with the fault codes you’ve got. For info, a new genuine Borgwarner part is about £140GBP on eBay.

Is there not , a loss of pressure indication, linked to the ecu-erorr codes ? if the fuse is out the ecu lamp illuminates , no error , pump must be working ?